Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 895
Default Su-asti-ka

Swastika banner flies over New York beaches

The above new story concerns a groups of UFO cultists, the Raelians, who venerate the swastika. While people in the West have been programmed like Pavlov dogs to foam at the mouth at every swastika they see, the Raelians' far bigger transgression is that they are a UFO cult. Beyond that, I agree with their stance concerning the swastika. People's reaction to it is largely silly and stupid. Unproductive, at the very least.

This kind of ties into another thread where people were either attacking Sid Vicious for wearing a swastika t-shirt or being an apologist. both sides miss the point entirely: it's just a f-ucking symbol, get over it. If he wore it for the shock value, it's YOUR fault for getting shocked by it in the first place.

It boils down to this: the swastika didn't do s-hit to anybody. It is, in fact, the oldest symbol known to the human race--about 12,000 years old:


These objects from Mezine, Ukraine dated at 10,000 BCE are made from mammoth ivory and believed to be bracelets.


From India circa 9000 years ago.


From the Vinca culture of Bosnia circa 8000 years ago.


From Sumeria circa 5500 years ago.


Ancient Greek pottery.


Tibetan swastika from the Iron Age showing its astrological origins.


The origin of the swastika is likely found in the stars--the asterisms of the dippers specifically. These would denote the four directions which mark the two equinoxes and solstices which are seen as gateways to the heavens.


American Indian basketball team.


Aztec calendar.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 895
Default


Japanese Buddha.


Japanese family crests.


Korean temple.


Tibetan Lama


Window of an Ethiopian Christian church.


From the pew of an old British church. The Limeys call the swastika a fylfot.


Euro funerary statue of a bishop.


Ancient Chinese coin.


Ancient Armenian petroglyphs.


Crux dissimulata from the Roman Empire.

Yep, last I checked, the Nazis didn't hold a copyright on the swastika. So why act like they do?
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 895
Default


And if you think the Jews didn't use it, think again.

.
One of the most fascinating uses of the swastika was KRIT Motors--a Detroit automobile manufacturer that lasted from 1909 to 1916. Their official logo was the swastika.


The badge of the 1913 KRIT touring car.


KRIT badge bearing an uncanny resemblance to the Nazi badge.


Nazi badge.


Pre-war courthouse in Philadelphia.


Pre-war bridge in Arizona. America is full of these pre-war swastikas although most are now carefully hidden. I found one in the Masonic temple in Detroit and was told that it was "just a coincidence."


In antique store, I photographed this 1939 Nazi Party banner on sale for $800. I didn't buy it.


the flag of Kuna Yala, a province in northeast Panama.

So for those of you flip out every time you see a swastika, do yourselves a favor and grow the f-uck up. It's just a symbol, it can't hurt you. Honestly.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,136
Default

I don't give a **** if I see one but I understand why someone would.

Also, it is my understanding that ones pointing left have a completely different meaning than ones pointing right.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 895
Default

It's a good luck symbol and means nothing more. It doesn't matter which way it "rotates"--deosil or widdershins--it simply signifies "fortune" or "abundance." The word "swastika" is made up of three Brahmi characters: su and asti or "to be well." The "-ka" suffix denotes a thing that bestows this wellness or, in other words, a talisman. Swastika simply means talisman.


Hindu child










Pre-war postcards and birthday cards from Britain and America.


Actress Clara Bow.

So what's the big deal?
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

You can't be fucking serious

It may have been a "good luck" symbol and "nothing more" prior to WWII but the Third Reich changed that forever, and to pretend it didn't is just stupid. That symbol now represents the evil horror of Nazi Germany. And nothing more.

I used to live in an apartment building built around the turn of the 20th century that had that pattern in the flooring of the entryway to my room, I knew that it was pre-war so I learned to just look away from it. If it were my property I would've replaced that flooring with ANYTHING.

That's the big deal. Notice that nearly every one of the images you're providing is 1920's or earlier. Tell you what, if it *really* means nothing why don't you decorate yourself with them and walk through NYC or London or Tel Aviv.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
You can't be fucking serious

It may have been a "good luck" symbol and "nothing more" prior to WWII but the Third Reich changed that forever, and to pretend it didn't is just stupid. That symbol now represents the evil horror of Nazi Germany. And nothing more.

I used to live in an apartment building built around the turn of the 20th century that had that pattern in the flooring of the entryway to my room, I knew that it was pre-war so I learned to just look away from it. If it were my property I would've replaced that flooring with ANYTHING.

That's the big deal. Notice that nearly every one of the images you're providing is 1920's or earlier. Tell you what, if it *really* means nothing why don't you decorate yourself with them and walk through NYC or London or Tel Aviv.
Not if you're part of a religion that still venerates it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Not if you're part of a religion that still venerates it.
OK for 99% of the world


*edit: this should have been western world, I misspoke
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed

Last edited by Paul Smeenus; 07-18-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
OK for 99% of the world
Not to mention the numerous atrocities perpetuated by various Christian churches over the last two millenia. If we're going to crucify the swastika I think that would justify treating the cross with the same kind of knee jerk hatred. And yet...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Not to mention the numerous atrocities perpetuated by various Christian churches over the last two millenia. If we're going to crucify the swastika I think that would justify treating the cross with the same kind of knee jerk hatred. And yet...

I'm no fan of Christianity either. But come on. Not even close.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.