Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #281 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That's definitely true. It's not really 'mainstream Islam' that's the issue though it's the extremist minority that the religion lends itself to.
it's more mainstream than you might think

maybe not among american muslims, but certainly on a global scale. i mean look at the laws in saudi arabia for starters.

Quote:
Not to mention that a lot of the leaders of those groups are more politically motivated than strictly religion.
can you be more specific? which islamic extremists in particular are you saying are more politically motivated, and to what end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
It's not just the threat he attacks, but the basic tenets of the religion itself. Whether or not you can argue that one Judeo-Christian religion is worse than the others, Sam Harris' conviction that Islam is the greater abomination just comes across prejudiced to me.
the basic tenets of the religion are arguably the most repressive and barbaric manifestation of abrahamic religon to date...

so it's prejudiced to point that out? cause he's white and they're brown? would you raise the same objection if a white person criticized christianity in the same way? or if a non-white former muslim criticized islam in such a way? is it only that he happens to be the wrong race to criticize islam?
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:39 AM   #282 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
the basic tenets of the religion are arguably the most repressive and barbaric manifestation of abrahamic religon to date...

so it's prejudiced to point that out? cause he's white and they're brown? would you raise the same objection if a white person criticized christianity in the same way? or if a non-white former muslim criticized islam in such a way? is it only that he happens to be the wrong race to criticize islam?
Back up there, Sonny Jim. You're not debating Sansa. If I think Sam Harris is prejudiced, I'd like to think my lack of giving a **** about much of anything would give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm not just being PC. It's been forever and a day since I read any Sam Harris, so I can't point out specific points that he made, just a vibe that's more emotionally antagonistic than seems consistent for him.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:42 AM   #283 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
it's more mainstream than you might think

maybe not among american muslims, but certainly on a global scale. i mean look at the laws in saudi arabia for starters.
That's more cultural, really. What about Indonesia? They have the highest number of Muslims out of any country in the world and they don't have Shariah implanted within their laws except for cases regarding marriage among Muslims (these religious juries can't judge non-Muslims in these cases). That's not to mention the mass amount of sects within Islam itself or even within the Sunni, Shia, or Sufi, many of which have conflicting viewpoints on how to determine which fatwas should be accepted. However, pretty much across the board, these sects denounce the killing of innocent people and some more specifically denounce terrorism.

Would you happen to have any stats for the globalism that you describe? 1.2 billion people is quite a massive group to generalize.

Quote:
can you be more specific? which islamic extremists in particular are you saying are more politically motivated, and to what end?
Well, 9/11 comes to mind.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 AM   #284 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That's more cultural, really. What about Indonesia? They have the highest number of Muslims out of any country in the world and they don't have Shariah implanted within their laws except for cases regarding marriage among Muslims (these religious juries can't judge non-Muslims in these cases).
I saw this in my facebook feed one day. Apparently, in the province of Aceh in Indonesia, sharia law practices have been increasing and their laws govern and punish both muslims and non-muslims.

Sharia Showdown | Current Affairs | Dateline | SBS
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:22 AM   #285 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

i'll respond to you guys more fully when i get off work in 12-13 hours from now, but for now

batlord: nah, no benefit of the doubt. you're just saying he's prejudiced for calling islam out specifically without going beyond that. so it sounds like a sansa-esque accusation, though you might not be sansa.

frownland: try reading the looming tower. or google sayyid qutb. long story short, you're wrong about 9/11 / osama and his band of bearded misfits.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #286 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
batlord: nah, no benefit of the doubt. you're just saying he's prejudiced for calling islam out specifically without going beyond that. so it sounds like a sansa-esque accusation, though you might not be sansa.
And you sound like you're supporting him for criticizing Islam simply because you agree with the general premise of criticizing Islam.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:31 AM   #287 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 4,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Back up there, Sonny Jim. You're not debating Sansa.
Too soon...

Oh, poor old Sonny Jim.
__________________
----------------------
|---Mic's Albums---|
----------------------
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #288 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And you sound like you're supporting him for criticizing Islam simply because you agree with the general premise of criticizing Islam.
I do. But mostly I agree with his sentiment that liberals and atheists tend to stick to this dogmatic talking point that all religions are equally dangerous, and that western liberals have a tendency to tread much more lightly with Islam than they do with Christianity out of fear of coming across as bigoted. I think that's part of why he deals with Islam so roughly.

Tbh I don't agree completely with his views on Islam. I think he exaggerates the threat and glosses over some of the nuances when dealing with the motivations of extremists. I just have sat and watched the islamaphobia term cast at any one who criticizes Islam for years now and it's left a sour taste on my mouth.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #289 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
I do. But mostly I agree with his sentiment that liberals and atheists tend to stick to this dogmatic talking point that all religions are equally dangerous, and that western liberals have a tendency to tread much more lightly with Islam than they do with Christianity out of fear of coming across as bigoted. I think that's part of why he deals with Islam so roughly.

Tbh I don't agree completely with his views on Islam. I think he exaggerates the threat and glosses over some of the nuances when dealing with the motivations of extremists. I just have sat and watched the islamaphobia term cast at any one who criticizes Islam for years now and it's left a sour taste on my mouth.
So basically we saw the same ****ing things, you *******. Like I said, it's not so much the rhetoric that I necessarily disagree with. It's the tone. Of course, it could be like you say, that he's just drawing attention to Islam, but then that kind of makes him like Rush Limbaugh banging the drum against the liberal threat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #290 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
I believe in the concept of a spiritual mythological God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadChannel View Post
What does that mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I think he's saying that he believes that people believe in god.
Pretty Much.

My sister goes to bed each night praying to her God. It makes her feel good. It helps her through her day. I believe in her God.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.