Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #271 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That actually looks flat as ****.
That's because it's a picture you dingus.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #272 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Aloysius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
ships going over the horizon is a broad topic. a whole thread could be devoted to it. but pertaining to what you're talking about it, your argument falls apart when you pull a telescope out after the ship has disappeared to your naked eye, and it magically comes back into view. this is a replicable experiment. the reason it appears to shrink as it moves away is because we see things in perspective. all things shrink as they move away from the observer. hold your finger an inch from your eye and then move it to arm's length.
What you describe is not what happens when viewing ships. The ship disappears from the bottom up - with a large ship and calm sea you can see this with the naked eye. Use binoculars and you will see the ship as if it were closer, but the same amount of the bottom of the ship will be out of view. I strongly encourage you to try this yourself if you live close enough to a port - this is science from first principles, and all science is ultimately based on common sense and first principles.

The issue of atmosphere shouldn't be hard to understand - even if you don't like the term gravity you will notice that you don't float off into space, and neither does your car, nor the air that surrounds us. These things have mass. We can see that things with mass don't float off into space, and we call that gravity, but if you don't like that term you can call it Fred.
Aloysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #273 (permalink)
Put The Cult In Culture
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's what I meant though. I assumed you were making that comment at least in part toward me. If not, my bad.
I might have been but I didn't understand what you meant. I thought that you meant seeing a visible curve rather than seeing a ship disappear over the curve.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 AM   #274 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
P A N = Troll.

Let's stop feeding him and maybe he'll go away.

Next he'll claim that the International Space Station is a hoax too.

Is that a UFO in the top part of the picture?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #275 (permalink)
Brain Licker
 
Xurtio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,082
Default

no doubt
__________________
H̓̇̅̉yͤ͏mͬ͂ͧn͑̽̽̌ͪ̑͐͟o̴͊̈́͑̇m͛͌̓ͦ̑aͫ̽ͤ̇n̅̎͐̒ͫ͐c̆ͯͫ̋ ̔̃́eͯ͒rͬͬ̄҉
Xurtio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #276 (permalink)
DO LIKE YOU.
 
P A N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
What you describe is not what happens when viewing ships. The ship disappears from the bottom up - with a large ship and calm sea you can see this with the naked eye. Use binoculars and you will see the ship as if it were closer, but the same amount of the bottom of the ship will be out of view. I strongly encourage you to try this yourself if you live close enough to a port - this is science from first principles, and all science is ultimately based on common sense and first principles.

The issue of atmosphere shouldn't be hard to understand - even if you don't like the term gravity you will notice that you don't float off into space, and neither does your car, nor the air that surrounds us. These things have mass. We can see that things with mass don't float off into space, and we call that gravity, but if you don't like that term you can call it Fred.
ships don't actually disappear from the ground up. it kinda looks like they do, but what's actually happening is as the ships goes further away, a mirage of the top of the ship appears at the bottom of the ship. in a lot of cases, when they get really far out, they look like just floating masts.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #277 (permalink)
DO LIKE YOU.
 
P A N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default

it looks like some people have basically said what i wanted to get out though, which is that a gaseous system within a vacuous expanse does not exist other than in the case of earth.

that's good.

next question:

why can't a plane fly into the rotation of the earth to shorten its flight times?

Last edited by P A N; 11-07-2016 at 08:30 AM.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #278 (permalink)
DO LIKE YOU.
 
P A N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Sure you can. People have observed ships disappearing over the horizon for centuries. The horizon line we see is created by the fact that the surface of the Earth is curving away from the observer.
that would be detecting the curvature. much different than seeing it.

and just to test your logic about horizons a bit, would the horizon not still exist if the earth were flat? to me the horizon is just where the sky meets the earth.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #279 (permalink)
The Grammer King
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
ships don't actually disappear from the ground up. it kinda looks like they do, but what's actually happening is as the ships goes further away, a mirage of the top of the ship appears at the bottom of the ship. in a lot of cases, when they get really far out, they look like just floating masts.


Pure genius.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #280 (permalink)
DO LIKE YOU.
 
P A N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post


Pure genius.
you may not want to accept this, but i'm not gonna laugh at you for it.

P A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.