Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #411 (permalink)
DO LIKE YOU.
 
P A N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
What a delightful thread.
I assume this was posted already ?
i don't think it has been posted. i haven't watched it, but i know who eratosthenes was. he put posts in the ground. one in alexandria, and one in syrene. i can't remember the distances exactly, but it's somewhere between 600 and 800 kilometers between them. he used the divergent shadows of the posts under sunlight to "prove" the earth is round, and i think he is even credited with making a pretty decent guess at it's circumference.

the thing about those shadows is that they are caused by the sun coming in through the atmosphere. in my mind, he actually proved the earth was flat and that the sun is close. if the sun were 93,000,000 miles away (as it's supposed to be) the light rays from the sun would come at us parallel. and if they were coming at us parallel, they would hit the atmosphere, it would act like a lens, and the light would actually focus a bit, rather than diverge. the resultant sunrays (the kind you see peaking through clouds and spreading out) are called crepuscular sun rays, and you can use them (and trig) to determine that the sun is only about 3000kms away, and 32 miles wide.

all that aside, eratosthenes put forward an oft-cited original proof of a ball earth. he did it on a horse using distances exceeding 600kms. his quality checks could not possibly have been up to snuff with this method.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #412 (permalink)
DO LIKE YOU.
 
P A N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default

i have to go to work now. have a swell day ya'll.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #413 (permalink)
Groupie
 
musiclover73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 24
Default The earth could be "reverse round" through Jesus Christ!

Well GOD works in mysterious ways. So we think it is round. However did you ever consider it is round in the opposite direction? Imagine a close globe. We are walking inside near the outter section. You can imagine the rest!
__________________
The Holy Bible says "Now those that sealed the covenant were Nehemiah the Tirshatha the son of Hachaliah and Zidkijah"; I don't know who they are but my I have my own families to worry about!
musiclover73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #414 (permalink)
Resistance is futile
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 4,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover73 View Post
Well GOD works in mysterious ways. So we think it is round. However did you ever consider it is round in the opposite direction? Imagine a close globe. We are walking inside near the outter section. You can imagine the rest!
I have no words... None...
__________________
Minoru Suzuki will kill you!
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #415 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
yes, yes i am.
Well then I appreciate your concern about my energy level. Fortunately I had caffeine this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover73 View Post
Well GOD works in mysterious ways. So we think it is round. However did you ever consider it is round in the opposite direction? Imagine a close globe. We are walking inside near the outter section. You can imagine the rest!
Equally probable theory, PAN. What say you to this dark horse challenger?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #416 (permalink)
Midnight Rolls Around
 
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blankmind View Post
I have no words... None...
This whole thread really.
__________________
I DON"T SMOKE CRACK MUDAFUCKKKA I SELL IIIIT!!!

YW Fam: All MB Music Projects Under One Roof

Emo/Pop Punk Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #417 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
the proof is in being able to see farther than the geometry/dimensions of the earth should allow. i'm not sorry if this isn't exciting enough for you, but the fact of the matter remains that nowhere on earth should anyone - EVER - be able to see stuff in excess of 5-10km distance (depending on the observer's height/altitude), when we have pictures of lots of stuff in excess of 20km, 40km, 60km, all the way up to 120km.
First off it's a simple calculation to determine how far a person can see the sea level horizon (on a crystal clear day) based on altitude.

Distance in miles = the square root of 1.5 times your elevation in feet.

120 km = 74.5 miles

You,d only have to be at an elevation of 3,700 feet to be able to see the sea level horizon 74.5 miles away.

THAT'S A FACT. Swallow hard now.

The Burj Khalifa in Dubai tops out at 2,722 feet. From its apex you can see approx. 64 miles (103 km) away.



Now if the world was flat you should be able to see Iran in the distance. But gosh damn, you can't. Hmmmmmm. Let's stop and wonder why for a moment.

Could it be..... could it..... that the world...... wait for it...... wait for it....... THAT THE EARTH IS NOT FLAT?????

What do you say PAN?

Last edited by Chula Vista; 11-08-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #418 (permalink)
Midnight Rolls Around
 
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 4,034
Default

__________________
I DON"T SMOKE CRACK MUDAFUCKKKA I SELL IIIIT!!!

YW Fam: All MB Music Projects Under One Roof

Emo/Pop Punk Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #419 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
see, you guys are hilarious, lethargic, and not half as smart as you think.

you baited me to abandon my plan of talking about one thing at a time and i bit it. the thing is, you're accusing me of not backing up my claim, when i did. i understand it's hard to admit, but you have ALL ignored it in favour of ridicule, cuz you're all totally healthy-minded people who are experts at ridicule.

the proof is in being able to see farther than the geometry/dimensions of the earth should allow. i'm not sorry if this isn't exciting enough for you, but the fact of the matter remains that nowhere on earth should anyone - EVER - be able to see stuff in excess of 5-10km distance (depending on the observer's height/altitude), when we have pictures of lots of stuff in excess of 20km, 40km, 60km, all the way up to 120km.

would one of you geniuses like to explain that to me? you poked and prodded and called me names in an effort to get me to spill the beans. it's your turn.

your turn. or, as you've accused me, do you just spout your bullsh*t without being able to put your money where your mouth is? come on. explain why you can see chicago from michigan. explain why you can see boats reappear after "going over the horizon" by pulling out a telescope. if i'm such a moron it should be really easy.

you guys have spent this entire thread accusing me of the same crap you're all guilty of, but none of you has gone to any lengths beyond posting a link or a crap 2-minute video with bunk info in it. and i'm the boring one? b*tch please.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #420 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,142
Default

Holy crap. PAN and musiclover in one thread. If we could somehow get Roscoe in here as well, we might create a black hole of lunacy.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.