Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #1191 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
riseagainstrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 3,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
However, the problem is that liberals here in the U.S. (and in some places abroad) don't want to deal with the hard truths of radical Islam and it's roots. They advocate for head-scratching border policies and notoriously convoluted tax legislature. They also tend to be more concerned with identity politics at the expense of everything else...all of which came back to bite them in the ass this election cycle.

Hopefully Trump will be a good wake up call (regardless of his successes or failures) so that someday that Democratic Party (or some comparable candidate, like a reasonable Libertarian) will eventually take office and make decisions that actually help the middle class and take logical positions on issues like race, rather than demonizing the "white man" (Obama) or "anyone who isn't white" (Trump)
What are these hard truths? That between 250,000 and 350,000 Muslims are at risk for engaging in 'extremist behavior'? source

Or that there are a little over 100,000 individuals with ties to terror groups?
source 1
source 2 - more general

Remaking our entire foreign policy, relationship to the military, and immigration system due to the fear caused by a tiny minority (let's guess high and say 1,000,000 Muslims not only tacitly approve of terrorism, but materially support it: 1,000,000 / 1,600,000,000 = .000625%) is foolhardy and the exact reaction these groups want.

There should be some immigration reforms - a completely porous border is an obvious problem and one that should be looked at (and not actually the case, despite Brietbart's "reporting"), but the GOP's solution is no solution but a regression. It's man-the-battlements in a time of weak American manufacturing and damn-the-foreign-horde in a time of strong American production in fields such as energy. The 'strategy' appeals to low-information voters who see America with painfully myopic eyes.

I unfortunately can't argue the identity politics line. It was so frustrating during this election cycle that Hillary became the 'not that guy' candidate instead of the policy candidate, which is much more her strength. I'm not sure if it was savant-level acumen on Trump's part or simply blind luck that put him against not only a critically compromised candidate but one who took what might have been the worst possible path to victory.

Finally, I have never seen Obama demonize white people. Saying that white people don't know what it's like to grow up black is simply true. Saying that there is a cultural history of racial tension is true. Saying that movements like Black Lives Matter are important doesn't mean that all other races or identities are subservient or inconsequential - just that we have institutional and cultural biases that directly affect 15% of our population. If you have evidence of Obama condemning people because of their race, I'd love to see it. Because we have evidence of Trump questioning people's ability to their job effectively directly because of their race.

Can't even engage with the Joseph McCarthy stuff from Goofle. I remember what it was like to be 17 and have all the answers so I probably should just leave that alone...
__________________
One note timeless, came out of nowhere...

Last edited by riseagainstrocks; 01-17-2017 at 08:58 AM.
riseagainstrocks is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #1192 (permalink)
eeXCX
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,383
Default

All I said was that he was right that there was significant Soviet infiltration. I didn't say I agreed with everything he ever did or said.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #1193 (permalink)
The Grammer King
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,739
Default

Why'd you have so many back and forths before you added that qualifier? That sounds like one of the first things you'd say when people say that his ends don't justify his means in the slightest.
Frownland is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #1194 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 3,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Connect the dots people.
Fact-Checking That Trump & Putin Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Continuously making excuses for people is part of the problem. You're not helping.

This is the reality we live in, you either do something about it or remain stagnant. Stop trying to justify laziness, lack of interest/education, and indifference.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
It's like talking to a wall.

Idk anything about China, do you? Probably about as much as you pretend to know about free healthcare. Let's stop building a strawman and discuss the question at hand. Nothing was ever accomplished by lazy people who complained. You need to take action, and for you to sit here and say that expecting people to take some responsibility in the change they want to see is a lazy way to look at how change happens is absolutely mind boggling.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Disenfranchisement is an issue but you can't just overlook the fact that some people are just indifferent to the entire political process and won't turn out no matter what.
x2
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Step off. You angry little hobgoblin.
She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #1195 (permalink)
The Grammer King
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,739
Default

If Trump is so clearly a con man, how has the media not recognized how plastic his smile towards Putin is? It's a stupid common sales tactic that he discusses at length in The Art of the Deal.
Frownland is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #1196 (permalink)
eeXCX
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Why'd you have so many back and forths before you added that qualifier? That sounds like one of the first things you'd say when people say that his ends don't justify his means in the slightest.
That's not exactly something we can quantify.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #1197 (permalink)
The Grammer King
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,739
Default

But when it's a central topic of the discussion at hand and you respond with "no, he was right", it does sound like you're making a statement on the end justifying the means.
Frownland is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #1198 (permalink)
eeXCX
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,383
Default

It's a debate worth having but my comment was that he was right about communist spies etc., not that he was right to act in a specific way.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #1199 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
If Trump is so clearly a con man, how has the media not recognized how plastic his smile towards Putin is? It's a stupid common sales tactic that he discusses at length in The Art of the Deal.
But he uses that same smile with pretty much everyone.
Chula Vista is offline  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #1200 (permalink)
The Grammer King
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
But he uses that same smile with pretty much everyone.
He avoids criticizing everyone? What's the rent like at your rock?
Frownland is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.