Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

elphenor 01-24-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 1799236)
I'm going to ask a stupid question now (oh how surprising I hear you all say) but it's something I don't know as I wasn't there, and you may, as you were there. Well, some of you. Anyway...

With all these protests of "not my president", were there not any when Obama was elected? I mean, surely if there could be one event certain to polarise American opinion it would be a black man being elected their commander-in-chief? But did these protests take place? And if not, why all the savage sentiment about Trump? I get people hate him and fear him, and why they would protest, but honestly, if the whites (let's say radical whites) didn't do this over Obama, is it a bit OTT to be doing it over Trump? Sure, you don't agree with his policies and think he will lead America to disaster, but hasn't everyone on the other side thought that if their candidate didn't win?

Go gentle on me: like I say, I'm not American and don't understand these things. We don't got the depth of feeling about politics that you guys have.


Yes the Right did not accept Obama as a legitimate president

You had the "birther" movement that would not accept Obama as even an American born citizen

It's hard to say whether the lefts "Russia Russia" is the equivalent of the birthers

But I mean holy **** did Republicans freak out over Obama and spew the nastiest racism charged hatred I've ever seen

Frownland 01-24-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1799245)
You had the "birther" movement that would not accept Obama as even an American born citizen

The stone-faced irony of Democrats clinging to every Trump conspiracy after eight years of telling Republicans to stfu about king Obama almost makes my head explode.

Frownland 01-24-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1799245)
It's hard to say whether the lefts "Russia Russia" is the equivalent of the birthers

It absolutely is the same level of childishness.

The Batlord 01-24-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1799250)
The stone-faced irony of Democrats clinging to every Trump conspiracy after eight years of telling Republicans to stfu about king Obama almost makes my head explode.

Final proof that is not needed that neither side is dumber than the other, because all of humankind is dumber than a box of rocks as it is.

elphenor 01-24-2017 03:29 PM

Is it not more nuanced than that

We know Russia disrupted the election through hacking the DNC

Claiming Obama isn't from the US was just open "but he's black how can he be president"

I'm of the opinion the DNC should have not been doing shady **** or at least get some security idiots but that's besides the point

Frownland 01-24-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1799256)
Is it not more nuanced than that

We know Russia disrupted the election through hacking the DNC

Claiming Obama isn't from the US was just open "but he's black how can he be president"

I'm of the opinion the DNC should have not been doing shady **** or at least get some security idiots but that's besides the point

Same kind of crowd. Have we already forgotten about the golden showers?

riseagainstrocks 01-24-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1799250)
The stone-faced irony of Democrats clinging to every Trump conspiracy after eight years of telling Republicans to stfu about king Obama almost makes my head explode.

I think you're constructing a, I'm going to say it, false equivalency here.

Donald Trump is on the record has having done: insert laundry list here.

Barack Obama is a black guy with an Arab-sounding middle name.

And unlike the 'birther' claims, there are legitimate links between Trump and Russia. There is no Paul Manafort equivalent for Obama. Much like there is no 'Judge Curiel can't do his job effectively because he's Mexican', 'my political opponent will be in jail once I'm elected', 'Khan's wife couldn't speak in public because she's Muslim', etc. etc. equivalent.

'Yellowatergate' or whatever it's being called, yeah, that's likely nonsense. But it would be acting par for the course if they didn't let that go the entirety of the 4-8 years of Trump's administration. I don't think they should, but the hypocrisy goes both ways here. Probably a bit more toward the Right.

Frownland 01-24-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks (Post 1799261)
I think you're constructing a, I'm going to say it, false equivalency here.

Donald Trump is on the record has having done: insert laundry list here.

Barack Obama is a black guy with an Arab-sounding middle name.

And unlike the 'birther' claims, there are legitimate links between Trump and Russia. There is no Paul Manafort equivalent for Obama. Much like there is no 'Judge Curiel can't do his job effectively because he's Mexican', 'my political opponent will be in jail once I'm elected', 'Khan's wife couldn't speak in public because she's Muslim', etc. etc. equivalent.

'Yellowatergate' or whatever it's being called, yeah, that's likely nonsense. But it would be acting par for the course if they didn't let that go the entirety of the 4-8 years of Trump's administration. I don't think they should, but the hypocrisy goes both ways here. Probably a bit more toward the Right.

Obama's father was from Kenya, so that would be the equivalent for people to justify taking full advantage of their own confirmation bias.

Chula Vista 01-24-2017 04:05 PM

Trump’s EPA pick blends conservative Christianity with anti-environmental activism: Unlike Christians who believe in ‘creation care,’ Scott Pruitt’s record suggests he believes that God would never allow climate change to happen.

Interesting note is that Scott Pruitt has sued the EPA 8 times in the past. And Trump just announced $800 billion in cuts at the EPA aimed at removing regulations on coal, oil, and gas emissions. He also wants to gut funds that go towards wildlife and environmental protections.

And he's banned all current employees of the EPA from using any forms of social media to discuss the matter.

I'm thinking scorched earth once Trump and his boy's are through with things.

elphenor 01-24-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1799258)
Same kind of crowd. Have we already forgotten about the golden showers?

Yes but there are concerning ties to Russia almost certainly given the evidence

Where as Obama had nothing to do with Islam

I don't think it's a cut and dry equivalency


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.