Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

Frownland 03-31-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1818451)
So, if oil comes from the breaking down of fossils over millions of years then how would we run out? Like, aren't other dead things going to break down over millions of years? Is there just some huge gap in time where things didn't live and we will have an oil shortage for a time?

I just don't fully understand this oil crisis thing. Couldn't the oil industries basically just tell us there is a shortage just so they can hike up the prices and make tons of money?

The rate of consumption is a lot faster than the rate of creation, and there is also the caveat of finding the oil and safely extracting it. That last part is a bigger contributor to the situation than straight up availability.

elphenor 03-31-2017 02:47 PM

You want to solve the crisis in the middle east move to clean energy stop pouring money into the hands of oppressive regimes

For those who aren't terrified enough of the threat of total extinction by freak weather

Frownland 03-31-2017 03:38 PM

Travel ban ban has been appealed to a higher court. They will be on Trump's side because it is in no way unconstitutional (garbage, harmful policy or not).

The Batlord 03-31-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1818451)
So, if oil comes from the breaking down of fossils over millions of years then how would we run out? Like, aren't other dead things going to break down over millions of years? Is there just some huge gap in time where things didn't live and we will have an oil shortage for a time?

I just don't fully understand this oil crisis thing. Couldn't the oil industries basically just tell us there is a shortage just so they can hike up the prices and make tons of money?

FYI as far as I know most oil comes from algae, not fossils.

Lucem Ferre 03-31-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1818503)
FYI as far as I know most oil comes from algae, not fossils.

Yeah, I don't know **** about it was why I was asking questions. Probably better off doing my own research on it to be honest but I'm not really interested enough into putting forth that effort so I was hoping I could get an educated answer. And I think I did.

Neapolitan 03-31-2017 04:23 PM

Abiogenic petroleum origin

Quote:

Some abiogenic hypotheses have proposed that oil and gas did not originate from fossil deposits, but have instead originated from deep carbon deposits, present since the formation of the Earth.[2] Additionally, it has been suggested that hydrocarbons may have arrived on Earth from solid bodies such as comets and asteroids from the late formation of the Solar System, carrying hydrocarbons with them.[3][4]

The Batlord 03-31-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1818520)
Yeah, I don't know **** about it was why I was asking questions. Probably better off doing my own research on it to be honest but I'm not really interested enough into putting forth that effort so I was hoping I could get an educated answer. And I think I did.

Yeah me neither. Just kinda knew that one thing. Which is why I'm actually checking out a Frownland link for once.

Trollheart 03-31-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neapolitan (Post 1818521)

****ing rich oil baron aliens! I knew it was them all along!

Pet_Sounds 03-31-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre (Post 1818306)
When it comes to global warming I trust the cosmologists and meteorologists that spend their whole lives studying this and have absolutely nothing to gain from lying. Yeah, I've heard the bull**** about them lying to keep a job or what ever like we will one day decide that we don't give a **** about predicting weather or hurricanes any more.

They all say that the globe is warming and it is linked to the amount of C02 in our atmosphere which is directly linked to the C02 we emit mostly from huge factories and power plants and **** like that. I have searched and I cannot find one person who's occupancy specializes in the study of weather or atmospheres or anything like that that denies that global warming is real and a man made threat. Of all of them that say it's real, I've found one that says that even though it is a man made threat, it is no where near as imminent of a threat as media portrays and that we have plenty of time to fix it before irreversible damage happens. But yeah, none that out right deny global warming being a man made threat.


I challenge anybody to find a climate scientist, a cosmologist, a meteorologist or anybody that has anything to do with studying the specific fields of atmospheres or weather patterns that denies global warming. I put my faith in those dudes more than I do with your ****ing oil industries and politicians that still think talking snakes existed.

1. I think you're confusing comologists with climatologists.

2. It's CO2 (as in one carbon atom, two oxygen atoms), not C02.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1818344)
The jury is no longer out. We are responsible for the unique rate of change that we are experiencing.

This is a great resource that addresses pretty much all of the mainstream climate change denial arguments in both laymen's terms and more in depth scientific explanations. It is incredibly well-sourced and transparent.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

There is also stuff like this. Fyi, I'm not a "denier"—just pointing out that parties on both sides of the debate can be biased and it's not as much of a black-and-white issue as it's usually made out to be.

Lucem Ferre 03-31-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds (Post 1818621)
1. I think you're confusing comologists with climatologists.

2. It's CO2 (as in one carbon atom, two oxygen atoms), not C02.



There is also stuff like this. Fyi, I'm not a "denier"—just pointing out that parties on both sides of the debate can be biased and it's not as much of a black-and-white issue as it's usually made out to be.

No, cosmologists study atmospheres. It's one of the fields they study.

Sorry for my scientific faux pas though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.