Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #111 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or
music isnt getting worse, its just that the popular music seems to be getting far worse. back in the day when the chart toppers were good artists and bands like bob dylan,the rolling stones etc. now days the popular chart topper is a bunch of black guys and tanned half naked women singing **** that sounds exactly the same as the other bunch of black guys with tanned half naked women. but the good music is still out there, you just cant look to the charts for it anymore. i mean how could you say that any of the chart music is good? back in the 60's and 70's you could. i mean comparing led zepplin topping charts to a fu cking digital frog with it's **** out. its sad but we must look elsewhere.
No actually, its more then rap you have crappy blend in with the time rock acts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #112 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Muzak Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 87
Default

Ok - I'm not getting into the Rap/Hip-Hop vs. Rock 'n Roll debate, here (I happen to like Zeppelin AND Eminem… so I guess I'm a fence-rider)

Popular music is where it's at today because of one thing - exposure. Whether it's MTV, Top 40 radio, CMT, whatever… popular music is popular because it is given a huge audience through whatever media channel you'd like to point your finger at.

To me, 'American Idol" is the perfect example of this. The fact that TV can take the best karaoke singer in American and turn him/her into an overnight "pop" sensation that sells 1 million + albums in one week, and has the #1 video on MTV, just goes to show how much sheer exposure influences people's opinions on music - whether it's good or bad… it's popular, which means that it's not going away (as much as we may like it to) This, to me, is really no different than the way things have always been - Record labels, TV shows, and radio push whatever "genre" of music they think will make them the most money. It's been done that way since the advent of the record album - There's just more media outlets today that are there to pedal the hype the machine.

I also agree with franscar's post - The number of outlets available today to find good music is more than ever before… And if you find something that sounds good to you, then it doesn't matter if it's popular or not - It's still good music. Just because a particular type or genre of "good" music isn't selling 10 million albums or plastered all over MTV every day, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist - you just may have to look a little harder for it today than you did in the past.
__________________
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start… Just because we use cheats, doesn't mean we're not smart.
Muzak Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #113 (permalink)
The Wetter The Better!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SH1TTY London Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,501
Default

MTV doesn't play music anymore. You all know that, its all about pimping the Real World (teenage angst and libido is a cash cow) and Pimp my ride
MURDER JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #114 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Muzak Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 87
Default

Very true MurderJunkie - I guess I should have clarified by referring to MTV2 instead?
__________________
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start… Just because we use cheats, doesn't mean we're not smart.
Muzak Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #115 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

You guys use horrible logic, using MTV as a example for why theres no more good music is like using BET as a example of why theres no more white people, good music still exists, MTV and most radio stations just refuse to play it, stop whining and start looking around, you are bound to find something you will like.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #116 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
IndiElectronica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 657
Default

It's great and getting much better... Things like myspace and bands release internet only tracks is going to be the saviour of music...

I'd like to see more commericial radio stations play real music, rather than what the big labels tell them to do... but then again, no one would listen to my station then so it's double edgeds sword I guess....
__________________
Check out my Radio Station at:
http://www.indielectronicaonline.com
IndiElectronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #117 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or
music isnt getting worse, its just that the popular music seems to be getting far worse
FINALLY someone gets it.

If you`re sitting on your ass at home & turn on the TV to hear music you deserve bad music.

Music is meant to be heard, not watched. Get your ass down to a club , get online & search out new bands.If you`re expecting groundbreaking innovative music on a bloody commerical station you get what you deserve.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #118 (permalink)
that's my war face.
 
TrampInaTux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,418
Default

This is what really annoys me here's someone who is basically telling everyone how they should listen to music, and think that if anyone does anything else then they are worthless. I know my name is hobojesus, but you seriously must think you're some kind of messiah.
TrampInaTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #119 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojesus
This is what really annoys me here's someone who is basically telling everyone how they should listen to music, and think that if anyone does anything else then they are worthless. I know my name is hobojesus, but you seriously must think you're some kind of messiah.
Me or urban?

And how would MTV telling somebody how to listen to music be more credible than me or urban telling somebody how to listen to music?
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #120 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojesus
This is what really annoys me here's someone who is basically telling everyone how they should listen to music, and think that if anyone does anything else then they are worthless. I know my name is hobojesus, but you seriously must think you're some kind of messiah.
And switching on the TV and being force fed shite isn't?
The mainstream music industries do just that.

What he's actually saying is go out and find some truly talented and original artists, that don't get the breaks because the market is saturated with prefabricated dross!
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.