Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 03:50 AM   #571 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
 
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
And The Beatles and The Stones have done just that with their own influence, im basicly saying more people were inspired to start a band because of The Stones than there were people who were inspired to start a band because of Little Richard.
I agree with that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyppfan View Post
When Pete plays it is 100% live , your music if that's what you call it doesn't sound so good either? so you can't really critercize can you ?
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:07 AM   #572 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Excuse me who the hell are you again?...Im losing credibility?...Arent you the guy who tried to give No Doubt credit for what the jamacians have been doing since the 60s?

You obviously dont know what im talking about, im not even saying bands like The Who and The Kinks are greater than Chuck Berry and Little Richard (god forbid me i would be wrong) but simply that their impact is more present today, and their direct influence on different musicians has been more consistant, plus they have had greater longativity musical quality wise...Im just saying that while rock n roll might have begun in this country, todays bands owe it more to the british invasion than the original rock n roll movement, and its pretty much been that way for 40 years.
No. I was the one that pointed out the Jamaicans were doing it. Try again.

Are we really talking about impact? If it weren't for the likes of... Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Jackie Brenson (and the Delta Cats), Bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, The Everly Bros. the genre wouldn't exist as we know it... it wouldn't have turned into the things we all love. The fact that the genre is still alive and kicking is the resonation of their impact. Let me tell you something. All bands owe it to these pioneers. ALL. Every rock band that exists, and ever will exist owes it to those people. That's a fact. Is it a fact that bands today owe it more to the bands of the British Invasion? No. That's speculation. Conjecture. Your opinion. You aren't apart of every band. You can't decide this for them. What I'm doing is stating a fact. I don't have to be part of every band in existence to say it, either.
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #573 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe
No. I was the one that pointed out the Jamaicans were doing it. Try again.

Are we really talking about impact? If it weren't for the likes of... Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Jackie Brenson (and the Delta Cats), Bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, The Everly Bros. the genre wouldn't exist as we know it... it wouldn't have turned into the things we all love. The fact that the genre is still alive and kicking is the resonation of their impact. Let me tell you something. All bands owe it to these pioneers. ALL. Every rock band that exists, and ever will exist owes it to those people. That's a fact. Is it a fact that bands today owe it more to the bands of the British Invasion? No. That's speculation. Conjecture. Your opinion. You aren't apart of every band. You can't decide this for them. What I'm doing is stating a fact. I don't have to be part of every band in existence to say it, either.
No im pretty sure you were the one who listed Ska as a reason for why the US is better...When neither country really deserves the credit.

Also, did you not remember what i said before?...If you really want to trace it back to the 50s, then why not go even further?

Also, who do Radiohead have more in common with?...The Beatles or Chuck Berry?
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:01 AM   #574 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14
Default wow

Wow, this is one long thread. I'm not too certain who is "better" but I know I love music from both sides of the pond. I mean we (UK) have great bands like Gomez, whereas they (US) have great bands like Incubus. I don't know enough about music pre-1995 ish (I'm too young ), so I'm not going to argue about The Beatles etc.

BUT to say that the US owns the UK because of genres like Hip Hop is just stupid. We don't have much of a hip hop scene here (well, not that I know of), mainly because most MC's go into UK garage or other similar genres. See Dizzie Rascal etc. I love some of the stuff produced by Dangermouse, so I can see the attraction of hip-hop but most is now commercial ****e.

Anyway, US > UK in terms of population so it's kinda unfair don't you think?
__________________
Bonnie: Somebody save him, he can't swim!
Peter: Oh, he's not even kicking. Kick Joe, kick.
Lois: Peter, he's a paraplegic!
Peter: That doesn't mean he can't hear. Kick Joe, kick!
LostPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #575 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
No im pretty sure you were the one who listed Ska as a reason for why the US is better...When neither country really deserves the credit.

Also, did you not remember what i said before?...If you really want to trace it back to the 50s, then why not go even further?

Also, who do Radiohead have more in common with?...The Beatles or Chuck Berry?
No. I was the first one who said neither country deserves the credit. I'll quote it for you if you can't read. I did say America had ska first. I did say ska was influenced by American swing and jazz. I did say ska was a genre that the US does better. I still believe that to be true.

Are you an idiot? The 50's is when the genre that we know as rock and roll was born. This is not opinion. This is fact. That's why I trace it back to the 50's to the guys that started it all. If I want back before the 50's, it would only strengthen my argument - the Brits don't hold a candle to American Music for over the first half of the 20th century. So if you would really like me to trace it back further I can - and will be happy to do so.

Radiohead is English. If someone asked you which people are more alike - and the line up included 2 people that have grown up around each other their whole lives, and another guy from a different country - who would you pick? Radiohead also lists Miles Davis as a major influence in their music (among others British and American) Now, it's common logic that they would be influenced by English bands more than American bands because they grew up in England.

Radiohead is also not the only modern band. So I see what you were trying to do - trying to get me to answer an obvious question and then using my answer against me - as "You see! I was right" - no. That question is esoteric. Stop being an idiot.
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #576 (permalink)
Idontthinkyouknow
 
Crashing Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Out of the Frying Pan
Posts: 102
Default

This is so pointless and so circumstantial. Although it is fun to see people being called idiots. By virtue of that alone we should keep up this banter.
__________________
People Against People

"Scientists in Taiwan say they have bred three pigs that glow in the dark."

(Support Spam)
Crashing Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #577 (permalink)
The Forums Sadistic Ghost
 
Ma Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashing Sun
This is so pointless and so circumstantial. Although it is fun to see people being called idiots. By virtue of that alone we should keep up this banter.
you need to srew off some where alright you F*ucking moron so back the F*uck off


whose got better techno and electronica???
__________________
I'm not a freak on a leash, I'm just the freak holding the leash.

http://www.myspace.com/yukiko_mori

Ma Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #578 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashing Sun
This is so pointless and so circumstantial. Although it is fun to see people being called idiots. By virtue of that alone we should keep up this banter.
Yeah, cause instead of an actual music debate lets just close this thread and continue discussing dream theater in every thread!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #579 (permalink)
The Forums Sadistic Ghost
 
Ma Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill
Yeah, cause instead of an actual music debate lets just close this thread and continue discussing dream theater in every thread!
are we acually agreing ethan????
__________________
I'm not a freak on a leash, I'm just the freak holding the leash.

http://www.myspace.com/yukiko_mori

Ma Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #580 (permalink)
The Forums Sadistic Ghost
 
Ma Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: beyond midnight, in the abyss of time, the syren in the night
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
whose got better techno and electronica???
you going to answer the damn question or do i have to pull teeth to get this thread resurected!!!!!!!!
__________________
I'm not a freak on a leash, I'm just the freak holding the leash.

http://www.myspace.com/yukiko_mori

Ma Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.