Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #761 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sMusicKid View Post
Soundgarden is from the U.S.A. Need I say more..
Yes. You do. There are loads of British bands that are better than Soundgarden.
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #762 (permalink)
That weird kid
 
90'sMusicKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Yes. You do. There are loads of British bands that are better than Soundgarden.
Yes I realize that, Blur, Radiohead and Oasis are all WAAAAY better, but do they have chris cornell?
__________________
I'm waiting for the come down
to put me in my place
i'm giving you the low down
so you don't make my mistakes
90'sMusicKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #763 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sMusicKid View Post
Yes I realize that, Blur, Radiohead and Oasis are all WAAAAY better, but do they have chris cornell?
The fact that they don't is what makes them better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #764 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

I think someone summed this entire thread up really early on. America is better for the roots of music, British is better for expanding and experimenting, overall if I had to choose I'd choose British just because I like more artists from here, even though the ones I like from America are absolutely brilliant.
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #765 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I think someone summed this entire thread up really early on. America is better for the roots of music, British is better for expanding and experimenting, overall if I had to choose I'd choose British just because I like more artists from here, even though the ones I like from America are absolutely brilliant.
Meh. I think that statement was possibly true in the 60s (though questionable even then considering American innovators like Sun Ra, Philip Glass, etc.) but aside from that, not so much. My take on it is just that both produce good music, and both have their things that make them unique, but neither is really better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #766 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Arrow American Rock Music Vs. British Rock Music

According to the Library of Congress, "American rock and roll music was imitated by British groups, who then refined it and, in the view of some, improved it." Since the 1950s, British and American rock groups have influenced each other, taken styles in unique directions and fought for the limelight.

History:
Rock music is an offshoot of rock & roll, which emerged from American blues in the Deep South. Musicians like John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters introduced the blues to England, and American rock & roll records by Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly found their way overseas. The British returned the favor in the 1960s in what is called the British Invasion with groups like The Beatles, The Who, and The Rolling Stones.

Heavy Metal:
According to Allmusic.com, "Heavy metal was largely a British creation," the result of the British blues movement of the 1960s. British bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin helped define the genre of heavy metal. American bands like Kiss and Van Halen followed their blueprint, and also invented thrash metal.

Punk:
Punk music has its roots in the protopunk of The Stooges and MC5 in the early 1970s. The late 1970s saw the rise of American punk bands like The Ramones and The Dead Boys. British bands like The Sex Pistols and The Clash helped popularize British punk as a pop movement until its death in 1978.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #767 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
downwardspiral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 729
Default

The way I see it is we have the music, they have the movies.
__________________


downwardspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #768 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Meh. I think that statement was possibly true in the 60s (though questionable even then considering American innovators like Sun Ra, Philip Glass, etc.) but aside from that, not so much. My take on it is just that both produce good music, and both have their things that make them unique, but neither is really better.
Here here. I think people on this thread for the most part will just choose out of loyalty/what they can relate to, just why I'd choose Brits, because I can relate. But in reality there's very little between the two. But still, if I had to choose Brits all the way. So patriotic *sings National anthem.*
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #769 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Here here. I think people on this thread for the most part will just choose out of loyalty/what they can relate to, just why I'd choose Brits, because I can relate. But in reality there's very little between the two. But still, if I had to choose Brits all the way. So patriotic *sings National anthem.*
As far as great bands, I have to go with the Brits also, its not that I dont think the US doesnt have great bands.
Britian has simply produced so many big bands that has played a major role when considering musical influence on the music of today.
Just trying to be honest with my opinion.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #770 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
As far as great bands, I have to go with the Brits also, its not that I dont think the US doesnt have great bands.
Britian has simply produced so many big bands that has played a major role when considering musical influence on the music of today.
Just trying to be honest with my opinion.
*Takes hat off*
It's nice to see people being honest rather than just choosing their own country, but I mean Britain has some pioneers of music The Stones, The Beatles, The Kinks, Black Sabbath etc.

Just of the best bands to ever produce music, but the USA aren't far behind.
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.