Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #27451 (permalink)
ᚔ㋡ᚊ
 
rostasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,272
Default

OK, so Andrew Liles (Nurse with Wound; Current 93 ...)
is turning 50 today and he's released Part Two of his Colossus
project celebrating his 50 years on Earth. The whole thing
consists of 50 pieces that are each 50 minutes in length
making the total time nearly 42 hours long.

"The 'songs' are extreme, simple, complex, mellow, angular and often surreal adaptations of every single hit from the last 50 years that was at Number One in the UK charts on my birthday.

The music is either in the same key or with the same notes played but in a different order, backwards or inverted. Further music and notation has been added by myself. They are absolutely nothing like the originals.

Additionally, the words to the songs are formed from the lyrics to every Number One hit from the last 50 years. But with a twist.

I have adapted the lyrics by using the William Burroughs cut up method and further changed them to make some kind of structure, but they remain predominantly abstract and nonsensical.

Many thanks to all the narrators who are individually credited on the track titles.

Further thanks to all the listeners, detractors, strangers, friends, foes and all those that were cruel or kind that have faded in and out of my existence. You, in no small way have helped me create this monolith.

Another Happy Birthday to me - here's to 101.

This recording is numerologically accurate and anagrammatically active."




__________________
Lust.PM
Mixclown
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #27452 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 3,582
Default

I was looking for something on YouTube and, as is often the case, got sidetracked with a few curious clicks and discovered this wonderful weirdness...





S. Hazara Singh - Electric Guitar (1968)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Step off. You angry little hobgoblin.
She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #27453 (permalink)
ᚔ㋡ᚊ
 
rostasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,272
Default

Great album! Brings back nice memories for me beginning in the early 70s.
Even tho there are very few albums of his work on non-Indian labels,
you could always find his work on filmi cassettes going back decades.
If you're able to hear the "other" Electric Guitar album of his, I'd search it out.
You'll get to hear his playing on Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu.

or, I suppose, there's always a video of these things ...



There's also a Film Tunes on Electric Guitar LP that features this gem:

__________________
Lust.PM
Mixclown
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #27454 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 3,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Great album! Brings back nice memories for me beginning in the early 70s.
Even tho there are very few albums of his work on non-Indian labels,
you could always find his work on filmi cassettes going back decades.
If you're able to hear the "other" Electric Guitar album of his, I'd search it out.
You'll get to hear his playing on Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu.
Discogs shows two more albums besides the one I posted, so I'll see if I can find those uploaded somewhere.

I also found this similar album while I was looking around YouTube...




Kazi Aniruddha & Sunil Ganguly - Singing Guitars
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Step off. You angry little hobgoblin.
She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #27455 (permalink)
Awesome Waves
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 2,539
Default

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You need to be more mindful of what you post.
Mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #27456 (permalink)
My Sorrow is Luminous
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
OK, so Andrew Liles (Nurse with Wound; Current 93 ...)
is turning 50 today and he's released Part Two of his Colossus
project celebrating his 50 years on Earth. The whole thing
consists of 50 pieces that are each 50 minutes in length
making the total time nearly 42 hours long.

"The 'songs' are extreme, simple, complex, mellow, angular and often surreal adaptations of every single hit from the last 50 years that was at Number One in the UK charts on my birthday.

The music is either in the same key or with the same notes played but in a different order, backwards or inverted. Further music and notation has been added by myself. They are absolutely nothing like the originals.

Additionally, the words to the songs are formed from the lyrics to every Number One hit from the last 50 years. But with a twist.

I have adapted the lyrics by using the William Burroughs cut up method and further changed them to make some kind of structure, but they remain predominantly abstract and nonsensical.

Many thanks to all the narrators who are individually credited on the track titles.

Further thanks to all the listeners, detractors, strangers, friends, foes and all those that were cruel or kind that have faded in and out of my existence. You, in no small way have helped me create this monolith.

Another Happy Birthday to me - here's to 101.

This recording is numerologically accurate and anagrammatically active."




I mean I love some of Nurse with Wounds work but I could not be bothered with this
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

"That's the end of my life. The rest is posthumous."
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #27457 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,746
Default

Is it just the length? Because it sounds awesome to me even though I'm not expecting a masterpiece out of it.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #27458 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 3,582
Default


Matmos - Plastic Anniversary (2019)

Plastic Anniversary



Quote:
Thrill Jockey Records is pleased to announce Plastic Anniversary, the new album by Baltimore-based electronic duo Matmos. Pushing off from the restricted palette of their last album, the critically acclaimed Ultimate Care II, which was composed entirely from the sound of a washing machine, Plastic Anniversary is also derived from a single sound source: plastic.

At once hyper-familiar in its omnipresence and deeply inhuman in its measured-in-centuries longevity and endurance, plastic supplies, surrounds and scares. Seemingly negligible, plastic is always ready to hand but also always somewhat suspect, casting toxic shadows onto the everyday. True to form, the band have assembled a promiscuous array of examples of this sturdy-yet-ersatz family of materials: Bakelite dominos, Styrofoam coolers, polyethylene waste containers, PVC panpipes, pinpricks of bubble wrap, silicone gel breast implants and synthetic human fat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Step off. You angry little hobgoblin.
She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #27459 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,746
Default

Wouldn't expect you to be bumping that, but good **** my dude.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #27460 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,126
Default




Holy ****, I actually hate this hahaha. I think it's genuinely awful, even comically bad.
__________________
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.