Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Yeah but in regards to the OP, Mellancamp wasn't doing it for profit, he was doing it to get his album out to an audience, which apparently radio stations will not do.

Are you saying you'd back this because profit isn't the motive?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

Obviously there is a profit motive if he isn't giving the songs away after he breaks even.

I don't care if you suck big money's dick as long as you're writing good albums.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Wetter The Better!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SH1TTY London Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,501
Default

I think that the buying public is more fickle nowadays because of the advent and popularity of downloading, there has never been more choice when it comes to music as right now. Maybe it's just me but I will not download an album on someones say so because I have gigs upon gigs of music that I like on my harddrive, this is clearly evident here. I will take the time and trouble to make a music thread about a band I really enjoy and upload a couple of albums and one or maybe two people will check it out. I assume that this is for the same reason.

Back when I was buying CD's I would take more of a listen to them because I had forked out that twenty bucks of hard earned to purchase it, now if I hear anything that I don't enjoy right away I just skip it and move on to the next. There are just too many options, I never use the sharing thread anymore because there is nobody left here that enjoys the music that I listen to.

I'm not really sure whether this is on topic or not however I don't really think that John Mellencamp has any trouble unloading his albums as his shows are sold out all over the U.S.

As for the Tom Petty album, a bad Tom Petty album is better than 98% of anything else that will be released that year
MURDER JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
snickers
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: detroit
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Yeah but in regards to the OP, Mellancamp wasn't doing it for profit, he was doing it to get his album out to an audience, which apparently radio stations will not do.

Are you saying you'd back this because profit isn't the motive?
He obviously did do it for profit, John Mellancamp is huge, radio stations would have publicized the **** out of his album.

The radio stations are his scapegoat for wanting to make a larger profit on his capital by using a television to advertise.

Also, I agree with swim, if the album's good, meh.
Meh sometimes, if a band sells out big time, that'd be pretty annoying.
__________________
A mi no me importa nada
Para mi la vida es un sueño
Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

I don't understand why if someone wrote a great album and it was all over the place how that would be annoying. Isn't that the point? Don't you want a lot of people to be into good music.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Wetter The Better!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SH1TTY London Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,501
Default

It doesn't seem to be the case, if an album is popular all the "cool kids" can't wait to slag it off
MURDER JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
snickers
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: detroit
Posts: 2,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimintheundertow View Post
I don't understand why if someone wrote a great album and it was all over the place how that would be annoying. Isn't that the point? Don't you want a lot of people to be into good music.
I actually liked "Sowing Seeds" by Brand New for a week (14023948 plays), along with "Sugar, We're Going Down" by Fall Out Boy.

Anyway, how is it the point of bands that make good music to "sell-out big time"?
If a band is great and releases a great album that gets put all over the radio, then fine, but if that band capitalizes on their stroke of good fortune by posting themselves all over television, stores, video games, lunch boxes, then that would get annoying.

In my personal opinion: Music should be made as a gift for the ears of others, an entity of raw humanity developed solely for the speculation of listeners, free from any motive other than expression of emotion or pursuit of happiness, not made to sound any one way from pressure to become another "best selling" stat in a lame book summarizing the last decade.
__________________
A mi no me importa nada
Para mi la vida es un sueño
Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Is The Spider
 
acratertocoffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 586
Default

Actually Brand New and Fall Out Boy can be seen as the opposite ends of the spectrum. Both released albums that have received tons of radio play and both have gotten to be extremely popular. The difference is that while Brand New keep a relatively low profile as far as media coverage goes (disappearing for 3 years after Deja Entendu), following and preceding any Fall Out Boy releases is major ad campaigns and marketing with American Eagle (or Hollister...same thing), Myspace, MTV, and FUSE.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by can_i_say View Post
Ian Mackaye did more for me than Jesus ever did.


Night of the Living Fred
Tuesdays at 11PM US EST
www.fredoniaradio.com
BAND INTERVIEWS
acratertocoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
snickers
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: detroit
Posts: 2,194
Default

I didn't tie either band into my second argument, it was a reply to swim saying, "I don't understand why if someone wrote a great album and it was all over the place how that would be annoying".

For Brand New I was only talking that particular song.
__________________
A mi no me importa nada
Para mi la vida es un sueño
Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
I actually liked "Sowing Seeds" by Brand New for a week (14023948 plays), along with "Sugar, We're Going Down" by Fall Out Boy.

Anyway, how is it the point of bands that make good music to "sell-out big time"?
If a band is great and releases a great album that gets put all over the radio, then fine, but if that band capitalizes on their stroke of good fortune by posting themselves all over television, stores, video games, lunch boxes, then that would get annoying.

In my personal opinion: Music should be made as a gift for the ears of others, an entity of raw humanity developed solely for the speculation of listeners, free from any motive other than expression of emotion or pursuit of happiness, not made to sound any one way from pressure to become another "best selling" stat in a lame book summarizing the last decade.
the song is called Sowing Season.

I also don't know why Brand New were brought up in this thread, its obvious they aren't in it for the money. They seem to have progressed farther and farther from their original easy to market sound with each album.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.