Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #91 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Ethan you're so abrasive, any slip up and your like flies on shit huh?
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #92 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

i just have to point out how funny the white stripes arguments are where no one seems to be noticing the unbelievable adulation being poured onto jack white like he's the reincarnation of all the dead delta blues guitarists from the first half of the 20th century.

i suppose it's because SO many people and media outlets elevate meg white's playing...

keep the list rolling JJJ i'm totally digging it hehe
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #93 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Default

Overrated?
How about Black Sabbath?
The Green Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #94 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
20. Radiohead - Please mark death threat emails Attn: JayJamJah so as not to frighten my children.

19. The Grateful Dead - "What'd mean it's only good if your high?"

16. The Doors - Turns out were not all poets are we Jim?

13. John Lennon(post-Beatles) - Whatever, the music sucked.

10. The Rolling Stones - They have no right being included in the same sentence as the Beatles, Zeppelin and the Who, combined they never produced half the crap music the Stones have.

9. Nirvana - Not a PC thing to say, but if Cobain doesn't pull the plug they are remembered like Alice in Chains or Soundgarden at best.

5. White Stripes - If I can create the riffs your best known for on a Casio, I really don't need to hear how great your discography is.

4. Prince - It's so hard to tell when Prince recorded his music, it doesn't sounded dated at all.
When you try to be funny you fail by almost epic porportions.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #95 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

I disagree with most of your choices, but here are my thoughts.

21. Van Halen: For one thing, they are not as popular as they are solely because of EVH's technical abillity, because for one thing there were many guitarists more technically capable than him, especially when guys like Vai and Malmsteen came around. Say what you want about Van Halens music and how bad the Hagar and Cherone stuff was. EVH was one of the most innovative guitarists of all time, and if you don't like the David Lee Roth stuff then you just don't know what fun is.

20. Radiohead: Radiohead deserve all the credit they get, and if you think they are on a decline and that Amnesiac was mediocre then nigga you crazy, In Rainbows was an excellent album, and I think it's ridiculous that people are knocking because it's so accessible in comparison to everything else they have done, every evolution the band makes seem natural and they have had the best run of albums of any band in the past 15 years in my opinion.

19. The Grateful Dead: Nah, it's not like they ever had a great deal of media exposure, they just have a very loyal following. They have never been above criticism and from my experience deadheads don't take criticism of The Dead too seriously. They're an aquired taste for sure, but I think they were great.

18. Snoop Dogg: I can agree with this one, he hasn't really done anything notable since Doggystyle.

17. Coldplay: It depends, in terms of media hype yes. But they're one of those bands that have become so trendy to hate that I think it disqualifies them from being that overrated. I do think Rush of Blood to the Head was a very overrated, boring album. Though I liked Parachutes and I actually like the new direction they are taking.

16. The Doors: THEY are not overrated, Morrison? Sure, though I don't think he was a horrible lyricist, he wrote some bad lyrics but some really great ones too, and I love his voice, calling him a great American poet is certainly pushing it. But he was a great frontman, and your opinions of him dosen't make the whole band overrated. The Doors IMO were the most wildly inventive and original American band of the 60s.

15. The Eagles: Again we have another band that is just so trendy to hate, I wouldn't call them overrated at all, because they are not just a band that people hate, they are THE band that people hate. I thought Hotel California was an excellent album, Desperado too. Yeah they have a big following, but their following is mostly simple folk who don't even pay any attention to people that criticize them, and you don't hear them ranting about how superior to everyone else they are. I mean I could understand the distate for them because they made inoffensive soft rock music, but at least they were damn good at it. And if you hate that kinda music there are certainly more deserving bands to pick on. Journey anyone?

14. Garth Brooks: Hell yes. Everyone treats him as the new god of country and if thats true then it says a lot about the state of country music today.

13. John Lennon: A little, but he at least made 2 great almost perfect albums. Don't really care for anything he's done after that.

12. Eminem: Absolutely. Thats not to say he dosen't have some great material, but I'd certainly say he is the most overrated rapper of all time. Hearing him constantly whine about his mom and his ex, and how the media treats him just gets damned annoying, it's almost all he ever raps about.

11. Kayne West: Yeah he is. Some good stuff, but he's such an arrogant prick, even for a rapper. I don't really get all the hype about him.

10. The Rolling Stones: Certainly overrated, but they still had some excellent material in the 60s and early 70s. I just don't think they deserve the kinda sacred cow status that they have, they get way too much praise and lack of criticism for a band that has put out so much crap in the past 30 years. I would rank them much higher.

9. Nirvana: For one I don't agree with what you said, they wouldn't have just been forgotten, they were pretty much the biggest f*cking band in the world at one point, that dosen't just happen and then people completely forget about it. A little overrated, sure, but I wouldn't rank them this high, again because so many people hate them.

8. 2 Pac: I was always more of a Biggie fan. In fact I'd say west coast hip hop is pretty overrated as a whole. Yeah NWA and Dr. Dre were great, they didn't really have much beyond that, not to mention the west coast is mostly repsonsable for the negative direction hip hop has taken. 2 Pac was a real jerk, it was him that kept stirring the whole East Coast/West Coast rivalry thing up, he got killed because he was an irresponsable idiot and a prick, and now he's supposed to be some kind of great role model?

7. KISS: Hell yes, that is all I have to say.

6. Dave Matthews Band: Never really understood their appeal, then again their fanbase consists almost entirely of stoners and new age hippies.

5. The White Stripes: A little, but they get a lot of unfair criticism just because Jack is no Steve Vai and Meg is no Neal Peart, they're a great band, certainly one of the best bands around today, sometimes simple is good.

4. Prince: Yeah he is overrated, but he had some great pop stuff in the 80s. I do think his fans take him way too seriously.

3. Bruce Springsteen: Not a fan, but he made some truly great albums in the 70s. I can't stand Born in the USA though, and his new stuff is boring old fogey rock that I don't think would get as much praise if it wasn't Bruce Springsteen.

2. U2: Now, and I know this is gonna spark some crap, but no I don't think they deserve to be this high, yes they are overrated as far as media hype is concerned, but at the same time they have become such a dispised band that simply liking them (like I do) has become a mark of shame, I will say they haven't dont anything noteworthy since Atchung Baby and they get a lot of praise no matter how crappy their new album is, and even I can't really explain why they are as popular as they are, but they still had some great stuff and I hate the fact that they are so hated, which I really attribute to Bonos celebrity status and their popularity than to their actual music.

1. Mariah Carey: Why her of all people? Does she constantly get 5 star reviews? No. Do you see a lot of people talking about how great she is? Other than 12 year old girls, no. Is she considered beyond criticism? Absolutely not, everybody acknoledged Glitter as a piece of crap. Why did you pick her? Seriously.

If I were to make my own list it would be.

10. U2
9. Green Day
8. Oasis
7. 2 Pac
6. Aerosmith
5. The Smiths
4. Eminem
3. KISS
2. Rolling Stones
1. Bob Dylan
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #96 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post

If I were to make my own list it would be.

10. U2
9. Green Day
8. Oasis
7. 2 Pac
6. Aerosmith
5. The Smiths
4. Eminem
3. KISS
2. Rolling Stones
1. Bob Dylan
9. Whaaaat... maybe at one point, but you CANNOT call them overrated anymore. Talk about the bandwagon hate ship that you were touting with JJJ's original list.

5. I'd like to see this argument simply because I'm on the fence with their pedestal status.

1. I'd like to see this argument simply because I've never seen it before. Which is new.
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #97 (permalink)
Sam
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Okay..Radiohead..are you serious? No way. Tupac I will definitely agree with, though. I also don't think Coldplay is too overrated. They made A Rush Of Blood To the Head...
SammyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #98 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Default Definitely

Prince. I've never liked his stuff at all....
SilentMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #99 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
9. Whaaaat... maybe at one point, but you CANNOT call them overrated anymore. Talk about the bandwagon hate ship that you were touting with JJJ's original list.
Ok, I rarely see anyone ever calling Bob Dylan or The Smiths overrated and I think they are. In the case of Green Day, well for one they are more deserving of criticism than the bands I discussed previously, for a band that has only had one good album to be as popular as it is is to me pretty overrated.

Quote:
5. I'd like to see this argument simply because I'm on the fence with their pedestal status.
Why even argue it? Every time I so much as make a minor criticism of The Smiths I get gang raped for it, it's ridiculous, they just don't deserve to be so worshiped that everyone thinks they should be beyond criticism. Granted theres a lot of bands like that, but I consider most of them to be better than The Smiths.

Quote:
1. I'd like to see this argument simply because I've never seen it before. Which is new.
You've never seen it before? Well there you go.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #100 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
5. The Smiths
I think this is the most overrated band for this music forum. People venerate Morissey here more than anyone has a right to. I wish I could say I cared more about them, but I don't. Guess I'm not a real music intellectual.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.