Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #191 (permalink)
Fish in the percolator!
 
Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hobbit Land NZ
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
What have you proposed exactly? You have attempted to correct me and made an ass out of yourself. You contend that The Velvet Underground were Art Rock? That's NOT TRUE. Period. Look up the accepted definition instead of finding it necessary to paraphrase some off the beaten path eccentric scholar to make your point. Art Rock is SOLELY a term that pertains to certain Progressive Rock acts from the 70s. The notion that it refers to some avant or experimental pop bent is nonsense. More pseudo intellectual pushing on behalf of the corporate machine to get their mods in the loop so to speak. That's when the phrase was coined by the press and those are the bands it referred to. Which The Velvet Underground were in no way a part of despite your best attempts to make them seem as though they were.
You have to understand that art rock has a very different definition from what it was. Sure at one time it might have been used to refer to Yes and ELP etc... nowadays it is more likely to be used to describe 'avant or experimental pop'. It is often used as a bit of a blanket term to refer to bands which are experimental or progressive but don't fit the progressive rock mould... e.g. David Bowie.

Quote:
Just more pseudo intellectual pretend sophisticated pop (albeit many a great tune from some of these, not RADIOHEAD however) with a few new decorative twists. More the "in crowd" thing as it's constantly rehashed. Anything but progressive sir. Anything but.
So now I want to hear a case detailing why Radiohead couldn't be considered prog rock - it is more sensical to try to disprove something than prove it. And comparing Radiohead to ELP and using that comparison to superciliously dismiss the statement isn't an argument.
__________________
Seltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #192 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
OK. Time to get real. I have some questions for your ass holiness if you would be kind enough to indulge me. Where did the term "Progressive Rock" come from? What does the term mean? It has an absolute definition and if you think for one second in your pea brained nonsensical mind that radiohead is progressive rock you are a bigger idiot than could be imagined.

Now, boy wonder, WTF does Progressive Rock mean?
I made a whole goddamn thread explaining what progressive rock is you jackass, it's in the prog/classic rock section, look it up.

Instead of wasting your time being a snob who refuses to admit he dosen't know everything about music you should learn that everyone has the right to their own definition of music genres and that yours is not written in f*cking stone.

Now stop being a jerk to everyone or I'm banning you.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #193 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
What do these types of musical appreciators do, get high for a living? You would HAVE to be stoned to appreciate that ****.
I don't see what my affinity for ganja has to do with this.

Stonerphobe.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #194 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I don't see what my affinity for ganja has to do with this.
That's a great point LS
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #195 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Why do you feel compelled to be condesending to me all the time for no apparent reason?
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #196 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 112
Default

i enjoy coldplay, and im pretty sure the stones and the doors are very good also.. sure they cant be compared to the beatles or zep, but they are still great... plus post-beatle Lennon, a few songs were good, but meh, i loathe Ono
__________________
tumultuous thoughts
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #197 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Why do you feel compelled to be condesending to me all the time for no apparent reason?
Could be because you can't seem to ever admit that you're wrong, but I dunno.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #198 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
Could be because you can't seem to ever admit that you're wrong, but I dunno.
you've been here a week.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 AM   #199 (permalink)
____
 
FaSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 5,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
Art Rock is SOLELY a term that pertains to certain Progressive Rock acts from the 70s. The notion that it refers to some avant or experimental pop bent is nonsense.
i think you've proved to everyone here that you have no idea what prog rock is...so how can you even justify that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
You would HAVE to be stoned to appreciate that ****. It's a lame comedy of errors.
ok just because you dont like something doesnt mean you have to taLk that much **** about it ok? a simple"i dont like ween" and a quick explanation would have done just fine for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
Could be because you can't seem to ever admit that you're wrong, but I dunno.
and you would know this how when you've only posted on one thread and been a part of one arguement?

edit: started one arguement
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What? No. No. No. No no no.

Last edited by FaSho; 07-31-2008 at 07:54 AM.
FaSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #200 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Bit late but, how the fudge are Radiohead NOT progressive? We're talking about a band who evolved from a typical 90's indie rock band to a band that fully took their influences and made a sound that was completely their own, a mesh of electro, rock, krautrock and all sorts. There's so many aspects to their music that it's impossible to judge them on just one album, just look at the trip-hop based Kid A or the (pretty impressive) mess of ideas that is Hail To The Thief.
You could probably get away with calling them a pop band if you look at their early big singles but dig deeper and you have a band that is striving to evolve and has genre-splitting songs coming out of their ears.
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.