Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Which English-speaking country produce the best music?
The United Kingdom 99 40.57%
Ireland 4 1.64%
The United States 106 43.44%
Canada 14 5.74%
Australia 8 3.28%
New Zealand 4 1.64%
Jamaica 2 0.82%
Other (which?) 7 2.87%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #311 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Just added Jamaica to the poll since it's fucking ridiculous that it wasn't there in the first place.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #312 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zaqarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 823
Default

Scandinavia? Well, maybe the bands (mainly Swede) singing in English, but the rest...? Perhaps in a hypothetical other thread for outside the Anglosphere, and only to be beaten (at least regarding popular music) by Spain and Argentina (and I'm not kidding).
__________________
"Lullabies for adults / crossed by the years / carry the flower of disappointment / tattooed in their gloomy melodies."

Last edited by Zaqarbal; 12-11-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: a typo
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #313 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Turquoise_Days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Londonish
Posts: 50
Default

Yeah, a poll/thread for music from the non English speaking world would be quite cool... :-)
Turquoise_Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #314 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoise_Days View Post
Yeah, a poll/thread for music from the non English speaking world would be quite cool... :-)
The poll would have to have well over 150 options on it. Seems too cumbersome to be worthwhile to me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #315 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Turquoise_Days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Londonish
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The poll would have to have well over 150 options on it. Seems too cumbersome to be worthwhile to me.

Mmmm, surely it'd be possible to group some countries together for the sake of a poll like this? But yeah, I see your point.
Turquoise_Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #316 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zaqarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 823
Default

I'd make a main division: classical and popular music. Then, choose a small number of countries. That is, the most important ones. For popular music:
  • Germany
  • Sweden
  • Spain
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • France
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • (ex) Yugoslavia
  • What else?
Our main problem is the lack of information. Some of us (Scissorman, Dankrsta, Number9Dream, Ikvat, Petula, Vegangelica, me and others) are providing that info at the World Music section. But there's a "deficit" of German, Italian, Japanese and Scandinavian (in non-English languages) music.
__________________
"Lullabies for adults / crossed by the years / carry the flower of disappointment / tattooed in their gloomy melodies."
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #317 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
I'd make a main division: classical and popular music. Then, choose a small number of countries. That is, the most important ones. For popular music:
  • Germany
  • Sweden
  • Spain
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • France
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • (ex) Yugoslavia
  • What else?
Our main problem is the lack of information. Some of us (Scissorman, Dankrsta, Number9Dream, Ikvat, Petula, Vegangelica, me and others) are providing that info at the World Music section. But there's a "deficit" of German, Italian, Japanese and Scandinavian (in non-English languages) music.
That seems like very limited list. No African countries, seriously? And what about Mexico, Cuba, Turkey and many other countries with rich musical heritage? Hell, what about China and India? They're the two biggest countries in the world after all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #318 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Turquoise_Days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Londonish
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
I'd make a main division: classical and popular music. Then, choose a small number of countries. That is, the most important ones. For popular music:
  • Germany
  • Sweden
  • Spain
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • France
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • What else?
Our main problem is the lack of information. Some of us (Scissorman, Dankrsta, Number9Dream, Ikvat, Petula, Vegangelica, me and others) are providing that info at the World Music section. But there's a "deficit" of German, Italian, Japanese and Scandinavian (in non-English languages) music.
Yeah, looks like a good start to me...

How about also...
... the former Eastern bloc countries (for the purpose of this, all lumped together, yeah, it's not fair, I know....)?
... north african/ arabic music?
... Israel?

Probably not an exhaustive list....and not that I'm trying to hijack the thread...
Turquoise_Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #319 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zaqarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That seems like very limited list. No African countries, seriously? And what about Mexico, Cuba, Turkey and many other countries with rich musical heritage? Hell, what about China and India? They're the two biggest countries in the world after all.
However, nobody has mentioned the "rich musical heritage" (in other words, traditional music) of the Anglosphere here. For instance, if we look at Ireland, what about Celtic music?
__________________
"Lullabies for adults / crossed by the years / carry the flower of disappointment / tattooed in their gloomy melodies."
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #320 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
However, nobody has mentioned the "rich musical heritage" (in other words, traditional music) of the Anglosphere here. For instance, if we look at Ireland, what about Celtic music?
Not sure if I understand your point, but I wasn't necessarily talking about traditional music.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.