Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Which English-speaking country produce the best music?
The United Kingdom 99 40.57%
Ireland 4 1.64%
The United States 106 43.44%
Canada 14 5.74%
Australia 8 3.28%
New Zealand 4 1.64%
Jamaica 2 0.82%
Other (which?) 7 2.87%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #351 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Arrow UK and US

I would have to say it is a tie between the UK and US.

And like in so many other aspects, we are as "one" anyway so..

Its obviously, the only correct answer...
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #352 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I would have to say it is a tie between the UK and US.

And like in so many other aspects, we are as "one" anyway so..
Not really, we talk proper and you don`t
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #353 (permalink)
Groupie
 
FleurMagali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Almost all my favorite bands are from Finland/Sweden/Norway - maybe a thread with the same subject but with the Nordic countries would be good.
FleurMagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #354 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurMagali View Post
Almost all my favorite bands are from Finland/Sweden/Norway - maybe a thread with the same subject but with the Nordic countries would be good.
Some of the best bands have certainly come out of the Nordic countries since the 1990s (heavier end if the spectrum I`m mostly referring to here) Most sing in English but they don`t qualify as "Anglosphere" though as the English is not the principal language.

Really needs its own thread!
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #355 (permalink)
Groupie
 
FleurMagali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Some of the best bands have certainly come out of the Nordic countries since the 1990s (heavier end if the spectrum I`m mostly referring to here) Most sing in English but they don`t qualify as "Anglosphere" though as the English is not the principal language.

Really needs its own thread!
Not "Anglosphere", true! But would be interesting to see how such a musical battle ends
FleurMagali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #356 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Argento's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Córdoba, Argentina
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
That song fires on me remembrances of puzzlement, somewhat mysterious, and slightly chaotic.

I'm not sure if I was trained to read it that way by movies soundtracks or it is rooted on human instinct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Chopinesque
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
...
William Basinski:

Melancholia - William Basinski - YouTube

Minimalism is a philosophical approach to music that could essentially apply to any genre, but is most commonly associated with classical composers such as these. Almost all noteworthy minimalist composers are American.
^^^Poor Jamaica....
__________________
Here is my thread on Argentine music.

Le hizo un par de promesas imprudentes y así fue que de ella se aburrió.

Last edited by Argento; 10-27-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #357 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

i voted US

that's the bulk of music i listen to
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #358 (permalink)
Groupie
 
777by's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 26
Default

In the 60´s of course it was England, but after that all the best comes from U.S.A. i am from Spain.
__________________
This is not a link
777by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #359 (permalink)
Get in ma belly
 
Salami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,355
Default

I'd have to agree with that. British artists used to be pioneers of modern music, such as The Rolling Stones, those annoying guys from Liverpool that plump teenage girls raved about and the legendary Eric Clapton, but recently all we could offer the world was Oasis (who I am ashamed of), Coldplay (likewise) and Muse (WTF!!!). I'd probably have to vote USA but I am very patriotic.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #360 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Salami View Post
I'd have to agree with that. British artists used to be pioneers of modern music, such as The Rolling Stones, those annoying guys from Liverpool that plump teenage girls raved about and the legendary Eric Clapton, but recently all we could offer the world was Oasis (who I am ashamed of), Coldplay (likewise) and Muse (WTF!!!). I'd probably have to vote USA but I am very patriotic.
Britpop and post-Britpop basically ruined the UK`s reputation for quality music.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.