Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who's The Better Elvis?
Elvis Costello 18 62.07%
Elvis Presley 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #41 (permalink)
Forever young
 
4ZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceneSalsa View Post
Elvis Presley is the most overrated artist of all time.

It's rather fitting that he died on the toilet, seeing as how he was nothing but a piece of ****.

I now regret my previous post. It is now clear that this is not a serious thread, was it ever?
__________________
Terra Music Est Non A Vitium.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

I'd say they're both worthy of the title of "Best Elvis".
Costello because he just plain has better music.
Presley because, although he was a bigot-ass mother****er who stole songs from poor black musicians, he did bring a lot in terms of making that kind of music palatable to a mainstream audience.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
Groupie
 
SceneSalsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ZZZ View Post
I now regret my previous post. It is now clear that this is not a serious thread, was it ever?
I don't know about the thread, but as for me, I was being completely serious.
SceneSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Forever young
 
4ZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceneSalsa View Post
I don't know about the thread, but as for me, I was being completely serious.
Hence my comment. I will leave you to it!
__________________
Terra Music Est Non A Vitium.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Keigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 80
Default

Of course he was considered "revolutionary" and "scandlous" at the time bt Presley only became famous because white youth of America were finally able to put a face they could hang in their bedroom to the race records they really wanted to play without their parents freaking out. That's why Sam Phillips pursued him. He always said if he could find a white singer who sounded black he could make a forturne. Presley was a "great white hope" who found fame. He put his own spin on race music mixing it with rockabilly and country.

And you're gonna cite wikipedia as a "reliable" source?? Please!!
Keigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #46 (permalink)
Forever young
 
4ZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigh View Post
Of course he was considered "revolutionary" and "scandlous" at the time bt Presley only became famous because white youth of America were finally able to put a face they could hang in their bedroom to the race records they really wanted to play without their parents freaking out. That's why Sam Phillips pursued him. He always said if he could find a white singer who sounded black he could make a forturne. Presley was a "great white hope" who found fame. He put his own spin on race music mixing it with rockabilly and country.

May I paraphrase your argument.

The Sex Pistols.

Of course they was considered "revolutionary" and "scandlous" at the time bt The Sex pistols only became famous because disenfranchised youth of the UK were finally able to put an image they could hang in their bedroom to the raw rock sound records that they really wanted to play (without their parents freaking out?? The parents of the Presley era freaked out Keigh. Not sure why you said that). That's why Malcolm McLaren pursued them. He always said if he could find a group that outraged the parents he could make a forturne. The Pistols was a "great white hope" who found fame. He put his own spin on youth culture mixing it with US garage bands and the New York Dolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigh View Post
And you're gonna cite wikipedia as a "reliable" source?? Please!!


No. I have read many books on the subject of music and culture. It is a subject I like a lot and get pleasure out of. As I said in my post "I will quote wiki as it is a readily available source" That source may have issues at times but on this subject it has got it correct and I base that on books that I have read on the subject over the years.

I am not going to comment on the subject any more after reading some of the immature rot on this not very good thread. Good grief a poll comparing Elvis Presley and Elvis Costello. There may as well have a pole comparing Bram to Pyotr Il'yich.
__________________
Terra Music Est Non A Vitium.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #47 (permalink)
Groupie
 
SceneSalsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19
Default

The Sex Pistols are also incredibly overrated.

But, as far as I'm aware, at least they didn't just steal songs.
SceneSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #48 (permalink)
The Great Disappearer
 
Davey Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: URI Campus and Coventry, both in RI
Posts: 461
Default

Allllllllisoooooooon. I knowww this worrrrrlllllld is killllling yooouuuu, oooooooooh alllllisonnnnnnnnn! My aim is true!
__________________
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Davey Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
From Hank To Hendrix
 
Mirrorball95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Our house, In the middle of the street.
Posts: 734
Default

Both suck (IMO) but Id have to say the original Elvis because Elvis Costello is just a ***.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SceneSalsa View Post
The Sex Pistols are also incredibly overrated.

But, as far as I'm aware, at least they didn't just steal songs.
No, they just stole their entire "sound" from The Ramones, but at least they didn't steal songs, expect for Paul Anka's via Frank Sinatra.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.