Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #1951 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsMadeOfStrings View Post
Can anyone recommend some good trip-hop? I like FORCES OF NATURE, Tsutchie, Nujabes, Fat Jon, etc. Anyone have a suggestion(s)?
I'd suggest you peruse this thread: http://www.musicbanter.com/electroni...op-thread.html
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #1952 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2
Default Dub Reggae recommendations needed

I specifically like the delay and echo properties of dub reggae. Would appreciate any recommendations of albums that consistently use these effects throughout. So far I have only touched the surface of dub reggae with two albums being favorites of mine so far: Augustus Pablo's King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown and Scientist's Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires. (However, these are the only two albums from these two artists I've heard so let me know if there are better ones I should give a listen to).
warszawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #1953 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 12
Default Suggestions?

I need to get introduced to more indie folk-type artists/bands. Here are some of the artists that I listen to:

- Ernie Halter
- David Ryan Harris
- Adele
- Amos Lee
- Brandi Carlile
- Eric Hutchinson
- Gary Jules
- Joshua Radin
- Keaton Simons
- Marc Broussard
- Rachael Yamagata

Thanks!
tatertat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #1954 (permalink)
why bother?
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warszawa View Post
I specifically like the delay and echo properties of dub reggae. Would appreciate any recommendations of albums that consistently use these effects throughout. So far I have only touched the surface of dub reggae with two albums being favorites of mine so far: Augustus Pablo's King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown and Scientist's Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires. (However, these are the only two albums from these two artists I've heard so let me know if there are better ones I should give a listen to).
Pablo's own East Of the River Nile is probably my favourite dub reggae album and uses those kinds of effects quite a bit - might wanna grab that if you haven't already. Keith Hudson's Pick a Dub is worth a shot too.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #1955 (permalink)
Groupie
 
HeartsMadeOfStrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
I'd suggest you peruse this thread: http://www.musicbanter.com/electroni...op-thread.html
Tankies!
HeartsMadeOfStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #1956 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Seems to be a good amount of noobs recommending stuff in here rather than asking for recommendations.

The thought of Dave Matthews combined with opera makes me want to jab pencils into my ears.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1957 (permalink)
NSW
I am in your sway
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,578
Default

OK...so I'm looking for some good, modern soul music. I've looked through a few "Top __ Soul songs/albums" lists and what have you, but most of them consists of the same schmaltzy R&B/pop singers you hear all the time. It doesn't have to be obscure, just groovy, smooth, maybe a little funky...perhaps something in the vein of our well-known soul singers of the past, but with an updated flair. Anyone?
__________________
Formerly user nonsubmissivewife, but no longer a wife and never was submissive. Pretty sure those two things have nothing to do with each other though.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #1958 (permalink)
Prozac Princess
 
6underground's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
OK...so I'm looking for some good, modern soul music. I've looked through a few "Top __ Soul songs/albums" lists and what have you, but most of them consists of the same schmaltzy R&B/pop singers you hear all the time. It doesn't have to be obscure, just groovy, smooth, maybe a little funky...perhaps something in the vein of our well-known soul singers of the past, but with an updated flair. Anyone?

From the album Strange Arrangement by Mayer Hawthorne. I've posted about it before, and it's easily one of my favorite newer releases, albeit a little cheesy. The whole thing is good and catchy as hell, I stand by it 100%.
6underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #1959 (permalink)
NSW
I am in your sway
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,578
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6underground View Post

From the album Strange Arrangement by Mayer Hawthorne. I've posted about it before, and it's easily one of my favorite newer releases, albeit a little cheesy. The whole thing is good and catchy as hell, I stand by it 100%.
Well I do believe you are the one who recommended The Heavy to me...so if you stand by it, I'm for sure checkin' it out.
__________________
Formerly user nonsubmissivewife, but no longer a wife and never was submissive. Pretty sure those two things have nothing to do with each other though.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #1960 (permalink)
Prozac Princess
 
6underground's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
Well I do believe you are the one who recommended The Heavy to me...so if you stand by it, I'm for sure checkin' it out.
If you hate it, I'll come to Texas and buy you a sake.
6underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.