Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #3741 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
You should also read up on what Death Metal is. Slipknot and Finntroll sure aren't.
Yeah. This.

Actual death metal...














__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #3742 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
So...you are looking for recommendations?
Try to be more precise. Are you looking for rock, pop, classical?
It's a lot of stuff you've listed there and it's hard to get a real feel from it as to what you want to find. How about you start with one or two things you are looking for.
You should also read up on what Death Metal is. Slipknot and Finntroll sure aren't.
I tried to give you a detailed description of what I would like. It doesn't necessarily have to belong to any genre. Perhaps I may find most music boring because I find most of all forms of media these days boring. Most media now is designed to appeal to the average person. I would be willing to listen to music that would stimulate my intellect more, music too complex for average people to prefer. Tracks that would stimulate my emotions more than the predictable beats of most modern music.

There are many examples of this in classical music so I will look into that anyway. What is the closest you can come to from what I'm describing, in modern music?
UnfiguredPuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #3743 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfiguredPuzzle View Post
I tried to give you a detailed description of what I would like. It doesn't necessarily have to belong to any genre. Perhaps I may find most music boring because I find most of all forms of media these days boring. Most media now is designed to appeal to the average person. I would be willing to listen to music that would stimulate my intellect more, music too complex for average people to prefer. Tracks that would stimulate my emotions more than the predictable beats of most modern music.

There are many examples of this in classical music so I will look into that anyway. What is the closest you can come to from what I'm describing, in modern music?
You want unpredictable, complex music?
I'm your guy.
Not sure what you mean by "modern", so I'll post stuff from several decades. Pretty sure you haven't heard anything like it anyway.
I could go on for months, this is just some stuff off the top of my head.
Tell me whether it tickles your fancy.

Spoiler for Youtube:












__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #3744 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,903
Default

Alright, here are some metal recs from some bands that sound nothing like the ones you listed, and if you hate them, then it will likely be for entirely different reasons than you hate Slipknot...

Black Metal








Stoner/Doom/Sludge Metal





__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #3745 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfiguredPuzzle View Post
I tried to give you a detailed description of what I would like. It doesn't necessarily have to belong to any genre. Perhaps I may find most music boring because I find most of all forms of media these days boring. Most media now is designed to appeal to the average person. I would be willing to listen to music that would stimulate my intellect more, music too complex for average people to prefer. Tracks that would stimulate my emotions more than the predictable beats of most modern music.

There are many examples of this in classical music so I will look into that anyway. What is the closest you can come to from what I'm describing, in modern music?
Unpredictable music that only caters to the musicians that make it? Now we're talking.











(grindy's recs are really good too)
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #3746 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Unpredictable music that only caters to the musicians that make it? Now we're talking.

(grindy's recs are really good too)
Legs was empty of atmosphere
Didn't like mutant standard
"None of them knew they were robots" was enjoyable from a superficial level. Exciting and complex but it was lacking in atmosphere. I pictured a cartoonish chase on a beach without any emotional significance.
Naked city is about the same. Also, way too long.
Didn't like Drive like Jehu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Alright, here are some metal recs from some bands that sound nothing like the ones you listed, and if you hate them, then it will likely be for entirely different reasons than you hate Slipknot...
I didn't say I hate slipknot, or even dislike it. I said slipknot can be a little repetitive. That being said, I like slipknot songs better than the songs you posted in both. The last ones of each were a little better than the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
You want unpredictable, complex music?
I'm your guy.
Not sure what you mean by "modern", so I'll post stuff from several decades. Pretty sure you haven't heard anything like it anyway.
I could go on for months, this is just some stuff off the top of my head.
Tell me whether it tickles your fancy.

Spoiler for Youtube:












That's not what I'm looking for. I didn't like any of those. I'm looking for an ordered piece, just more complex order. Maybe I shouldn't have said "unpredictable". Haha.

So, any complex but ordered music?
UnfiguredPuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #3747 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfiguredPuzzle View Post
Legs was empty of atmosphere
Didn't like mutant standard
"None of them knew they were robots" was enjoyable from a superficial level. Exciting and complex but it was lacking in atmosphere. I pictured a cartoonish chase on a beach without any emotional significance.
Naked city is about the same. Also, way too long.
Didn't like Drive like Jehu.



I didn't say I hate slipknot, or even dislike it. I said slipknot can be a little repetitive. That being said, I like slipknot songs better than the songs you posted in both. The last ones of each were a little better than the rest.



That's not what I'm looking for. I didn't like any of those. I'm looking for an ordered piece, just more complex order. Maybe I shouldn't have said "unpredictable". Haha.

So, any complex but ordered music?
Pretty much everything I posted was very, very ordered.
I guess it was a little too complex for you to grasp.
Let's take a step back then.
Some of the more ear-friendly progressive rock perhaps?





__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #3748 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Pretty much everything I posted was very, very ordered.
I guess it was a little too complex for you to grasp.
Let's take a step back then.
Some of the more ear-friendly progressive rock perhaps?





They are too light and slow. This wouldn't be a problem with a heavier emotional aspect though. Some examples of this are Requiem for a Dream, and some of the temple music tracks in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.
UnfiguredPuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #3749 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfiguredPuzzle View Post
They are too light and slow. This wouldn't be a problem with a heavier emotional aspect though. Some examples of this are Requiem for a Dream, and some of the temple music tracks in Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.
Have you even listened to those tracks? The second and third are pretty fast and at times hard hitting.

I also guess the problem here is, that when you say "complex" you don't really mean complex.
You mean something else, not sure what.
Complex music is clearly not for you.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #3750 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,903
Default

Uh... maybe? Complex, heavy, but still pretty normal for the most part.








__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.