Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 04:13 AM   #3731 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLhix View Post
I want some Funk Metal. Anyone got any ideas? Currently listening to Psyche****apus
Only listened to their first album, which has only two funk metal tracks, while the rest of the album is melodic thrash (still some good ****), but their later albums were supposed to be more pure funk metal.





Death Angel were another thrash band, but their third album, Act III, definitely flirted with funk. When they broke up after this album, they formed what I am led to believe was an actual funk metal band called The Organization, but this is still some goodness.


__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #3732 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
TheLhix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the keys of my keyboard like a troll under a bridge
Posts: 79
Default

Thanks haha. Damn, Seems I can trust your recommendations alot. Haven't seen anything havent at least moderately enjoyed.
__________________
Threads
http://www.musicbanter.com/rock-meta...ew-thread.html (Modern Metal Review Thread)
Journals:
http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...ale-balls.html (Lhix's Basket of Discolored Grayscale Balls)
TheLhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #3733 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Default

I'm new here and I'm quite embarassed writing this, but I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to music. And I just realized it. All my friends just listen to One Direction, Drake or Beyoncé, so I'm really desperate here. This community seems cool so I hope you all don't bully me for being so basic and boring. Anyways, I need your help for finding good music. I used to listen to The Fray, The Script, Ed Sheeran... they all seem so generic and commercial now though. I got bored of them. Still, it's kind of the style I wanna keep listening to. At least for now.

Can anybody give me a few recommendations?
ivingbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #3734 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivingbz View Post
I'm new here and I'm quite embarassed writing this, but I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to music. And I just realized it. All my friends just listen to One Direction, Drake or Beyoncé, so I'm really desperate here. This community seems cool so I hope you all don't bully me for being so basic and boring. Anyways, I need your help for finding good music. I used to listen to The Fray, The Script, Ed Sheeran... they all seem so generic and commercial now though. I got bored of them. Still, it's kind of the style I wanna keep listening to. At least for now.

Can anybody give me a few recommendations?
You gotta give more info than that. If you want indie/alternative then we can give you that. You want jazz, metal, punk, Japanese noise music, we can do that. But we need more to go on, cause music is older than dirt, and we have more recs than anyone knows what to do with.

Like, if someone asked me what I'd tell them to listen to right now that I think they should listen to without any prior knowledge of what they like, this might be what I give them...









I'm just going to assume this is not what you're looking for.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #3735 (permalink)
Remember the underscore
 
Pet_Sounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The other side
Posts: 2,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivingbz View Post
I'm new here and I'm quite embarassed writing this, but I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to music. And I just realized it. All my friends just listen to One Direction, Drake or Beyoncé, so I'm really desperate here. This community seems cool so I hope you all don't bully me for being so basic and boring. Anyways, I need your help for finding good music. I used to listen to The Fray, The Script, Ed Sheeran... they all seem so generic and commercial now though. I got bored of them. Still, it's kind of the style I wanna keep listening to. At least for now.

Can anybody give me a few recommendations?
Try Elliott Smith. "Independence Day" is where I started.
__________________
Everybody's dying just to get the disease
Pet_Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #3736 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You gotta give more info than that. If you want indie/alternative then...

I suppose The Fray, and The Script fall in the indie/alternative category, yes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Try Elliott Smith. "Independence Day" is where I started.
I just listened to it. Loved it! Thanks!
ivingbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #3737 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivingbz View Post
I suppose The Fray, and The Script fall in the indie/alternative category, yes.




I just listened to it. Loved it! Thanks!
RYM - Alternative Rock

RYM - Indie Rock

Similar artists to The Fray

Similar artists to The Script
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #3738 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivingbz View Post
I'm new here and I'm quite embarassed writing this, but I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to music. And I just realized it. All my friends just listen to One Direction, Drake or Beyoncé, so I'm really desperate here. This community seems cool so I hope you all don't bully me for being so basic and boring. Anyways, I need your help for finding good music. I used to listen to The Fray, The Script, Ed Sheeran... they all seem so generic and commercial now though. I got bored of them. Still, it's kind of the style I wanna keep listening to. At least for now.

Can anybody give me a few recommendations?








__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #3739 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Hi, I'm UnfiguredPuzzle. I chose that username because I haven't figured out exactly what I like. I have to search so hard to find something I like that I usually don't have the motivation to do so, and even then, find little.

I get goosebumps from the right music. I prefer lyricless since they are usually more focused on the melody, but I like a lot of lyriced songs.

Some mainstream stuff I like are some of the energetic pieces by Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. I like Katy Perry's album "Prism". But usually mainstream has a lot of music that I consider generic or boring.

Rock/metal:
Hollywood Undead is a band who has great pieces in every album and every song is at least a little likeable for me. I would consider them a favorite of mine even though I don't agree with their views.

I like Linkin Park, but only their old albums Meteora and Hybrid Theory. Three Days Grace has some pieces I like. KoRn has "Freak on a Leash" and "Adidas" which I like. I like Disturbed's album "Sickness". I like a few tracks in Yeah Yeah Yeahs's album Blitz. I like a couple of Bullet for your Valentine songs.

Death metal:

Slipknot is energetic but seems repetitive to me. A lot of Death Metal is repetitive to me. But Finntroll, In Flames, and Kromlek have something in them, perhaps more variation. The former two seemed to have improved with age and they are two of my favorite bands.

Classical:
I like Beethoven's 9th and 4th Symphonies. Mozart and Bach had a few pieces which I liked. I haven't looked into other composers.

Techno:
I like some tracks by Daft Punk which are some of the most popular. Techno or not doesn't matter to me.

Asian:
I Iike a lot of VG and anime music that are by Japanese people. I like a song called "Kiss in the Dark" by Masami Okui. I also like the infamous "Gangnam style", but I haven't listened to his other songs. But I find it hard to find other Asian pieces that I enjoy. VG and anime music can be searched, with difficulty, but searching "Asian music" will probably show a lot of "traditional" Asian instrumental music instead of Asian rock, metal, or other category.

Less slower/quiet/different:
There are songs that are less upbeat/quick or different than what I listen to, but they elicit goosbumps. This is what confuses me the most.

I like Mr Sandman by Charlottes, In Dreams by Roy Orbison, Requiem for a Dream, Smooth by Santana, Game of Love by Santana, House of the Rising Sun, and others like these. Maybe it's because they aren't flat like other slow songs.

Thanks for reading. I wonder what my problem is with not enjoying most music. For years it felt like I consumed all of the music I enjoy and finding more that I enjoy would be like crossing a mountain for a scrap of food that won't last very long anyway.
UnfiguredPuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #3740 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfiguredPuzzle View Post
Hi, I'm UnfiguredPuzzle. I chose that username because I haven't figured out exactly what I like. I have to search so hard to find something I like that I usually don't have the motivation to do so, and even then, find little.

I get goosebumps from the right music. I prefer lyricless since they are usually more focused on the melody, but I like a lot of lyriced songs.

Some mainstream stuff I like are some of the energetic pieces by Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. I like Katy Perry's album "Prism". But usually mainstream has a lot of music that I consider generic or boring.

Rock/metal:
Hollywood Undead is a band who has great pieces in every album and every song is at least a little likeable for me. I would consider them a favorite of mine even though I don't agree with their views.

I like Linkin Park, but only their old albums Meteora and Hybrid Theory. Three Days Grace has some pieces I like. KoRn has "Freak on a Leash" and "Adidas" which I like. I like Disturbed's album "Sickness". I like a few tracks in Yeah Yeah Yeahs's album Blitz. I like a couple of Bullet for your Valentine songs.

Death metal:

Slipknot is energetic but seems repetitive to me. A lot of Death Metal is repetitive to me. But Finntroll, In Flames, and Kromlek have something in them, perhaps more variation. The former two seemed to have improved with age and they are two of my favorite bands.

Classical:
I like Beethoven's 9th and 4th Symphonies. Mozart and Bach had a few pieces which I liked. I haven't looked into other composers.

Techno:
I like some tracks by Daft Punk which are some of the most popular. Techno or not doesn't matter to me.

Asian:
I Iike a lot of VG and anime music that are by Japanese people. I like a song called "Kiss in the Dark" by Masami Okui. I also like the infamous "Gangnam style", but I haven't listened to his other songs. But I find it hard to find other Asian pieces that I enjoy. VG and anime music can be searched, with difficulty, but searching "Asian music" will probably show a lot of "traditional" Asian instrumental music instead of Asian rock, metal, or other category.

Less slower/quiet/different:
There are songs that are less upbeat/quick or different than what I listen to, but they elicit goosbumps. This is what confuses me the most.

I like Mr Sandman by Charlottes, In Dreams by Roy Orbison, Requiem for a Dream, Smooth by Santana, Game of Love by Santana, House of the Rising Sun, and others like these. Maybe it's because they aren't flat like other slow songs.

Thanks for reading. I wonder what my problem is with not enjoying most music. For years it felt like I consumed all of the music I enjoy and finding more that I enjoy would be like crossing a mountain for a scrap of food that won't last very long anyway.
So...you are looking for recommendations?
Try to be more precise. Are you looking for rock, pop, classical?
It's a lot of stuff you've listed there and it's hard to get a real feel from it as to what you want to find. How about you start with one or two things you are looking for.
You should also read up on what Death Metal is. Slipknot and Finntroll sure aren't.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.