Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 AM   #91 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default



88 : PRIMUS

Thuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckath uckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuc kathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathucka thuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckathuckath uckathuckathuckathucka

*Yawn*
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 AM   #92 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Naw man, Primus are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Our rock radio station plays really sh!tty new rock like Theory Of A Deadman, Nickelback, Hinder, and Three Days Grace. What aggrivates me more is that one of their slogans is "the best classic rock, and new rock that doesn't suck!"
We have stations just like that down here.

One of the worst cliches is when radio stations try to profess that they are unique or offering something different from other stations.

"We're the only rock station in Jackson that plays only the best of classic rock and the very best of todays rock"

*Staind song*
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:29 AM   #93 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Oh, come on. You hate grunge and alternative for its pompous overproduction (which is perfectly acceptable). But you dislike a genuine alternative band for being what they intended: a simple, garage rock act? Primus wasn't about being exciting - live or otherwise. But they had decent songwriting. Not to mention one of the greatest bassists ever.

It is your thread, but if you want to make an attack on a widely respected band, I suggest you offer something more concrete. =/
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #94 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

I don't see how grunge was overproduced. Just well produced.

And I don't understand why that is such a f*cking bad thing. I like music, therefore I'd like it to be audible, why can't it be that simple?
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #95 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Oooo, my first disagreement!

It's no massive secret that a large amount of my love for Primus is based mainly on only a few songs, but hell those songs chug along in a deceptively heavy way, are very infectious and are pretty damn fun. Jerry Was a Racecar Driver, that's how you write a song ladies and gentleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I don't see how grunge was overproduced. Just well produced.

And I don't understand why that is such a f*cking bad thing. I like music, therefore I'd like it to be audible, why can't it be that simple?
I like pretty rough production, where it's a step up from the hardcore punk recordings of the last decade but still feels pretty raw and honest. Steve Albini production is great.
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 AM   #96 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

I knew people would get hostile with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Oh, come on. You hate grunge and alternative for its pompous overproduction (which is perfectly acceptable).
Nahh , I hate it more for being boring rubbish. The production doesn't really make much difference. a turd is still a turd no matter how much polish you give it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
But you dislike a genuine alternative band for being what they intended: a simple, garage rock act? Primus wasn't about being exciting - live or otherwise. But they had decent songwriting. Not to mention one of the greatest bassists ever.
I just find their music unlistenable & annoying ... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
It is your thread, but if you want to make an attack on a widely respected band, I suggest you offer something more concrete. =/
This is a list of things that irritate me , does a person really need concrete fact to justify being irritated by something?
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 AM   #97 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
Oooo, my first disagreement!

It's no massive secret that a large amount of my love for Primus is based mainly on only a few songs, but hell those songs chug along in a deceptively heavy way, are very infectious and are pretty damn fun. Jerry Was a Racecar Driver, that's how you write a song ladies and gentleman.



I like pretty rough production, where it's a step up from the hardcore punk recordings of the last decade but still feels pretty raw and honest. Steve Albini production is great.
Since my tastes lean more to the excesses of 70s rock and pop, I'm all for fancy production, I think too many people think of good production as a liability when it really should be thought of as a tool for improving the sound of the music. I understand that bands want to be authentic and raw and crap. But I don't really want my studio albums to sound like a live performance, that kinda defeats the whole purpose of studio albums.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #98 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Since my tastes lean more to the excesses of 70s rock and pop, I'm all for fancy production, I think too many people think of good production as a liability when it really should be thought of as a tool for improving the sound of the music. I understand that bands want to be authentic and raw and crap. But I don't really want my studio albums to sound like a live performance, that kinda defeats the whole purpose of studio albums.
It all depends really, it can be brilliant when just the right amount of layers are added and theres still that same feeling of energy but then there's album where it all feels too much and the producer is packing in far more stuff than is natural.

Basically, if it's good music i'll like it despite how it comes across, i like my Songs About Fucking just as i like my Dark Side Of The Moons.
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #99 (permalink)
Groupie
 
blackspots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 41
Default

i used to feel the EXACT same way about primus until about a year ago and it just hit me. . . it's ****ing great!

and the last thing i find their music to be is boring. . . (annoying i can see, kind of)
blackspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #100 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1986 View Post
Lucky you. The only punk they play down here is pop punk (Green Day, Offsprings, Sum 41, etc)
And not even good pop-punk.

The Offspring's 90's stuff kicks ass, though.
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.