Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Minstrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 436
Default

The word "genre" has basically come to mean "description key words." These key words can be linked together into arbitrarily long chains, and they're varyingly meaningful to people.

Since Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and doowop, "rock" music has diversified constantly over the years. The more diversification, the less that broad genres fit individual bands. You can use these descriptor chains to drill down as far as you want...down to the individual artist level, or even down to the album level within an artist's catalogue (are all Bowie albums in the same genre? If so, which?).

I think the concept of "official genres" is definitely way out of date. Essentially, genres are simply another form of expression and opinion. If a band sounds to you like electronic dream beach foam pop, well, that's meaningful to you. Maybe it'll be meaningful to someone else, maybe not. Maybe all they'll get out of it is that it's pop.
Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: VAN
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I want to punch someone in the face when I go by the punk section at HMV and see a My Chemical Romance CD.
do you really expect better from HMV?
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Muzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,050
Default

Genres are important in order to give a person an idea of the sound of the music easily.


and while I agree that there are a few genres in Metal that are meaningless, most are actually real genres with their own distinct sound.
Muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

sub genres is where it gets absurd. The farthest I take it is combining two major genres like blues-rock, soul-funk etc.

Metal is the biggest perpetrator, it should all be called metal.

You could give every band their own genre is look critically enough at their musical range. But would anyone be surprised to find Norwegian doom scream-o surprise music in the metal section of your local record store.

I think we could get by with Jazz, Country, Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop and R&B
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,888
Default

I love going to places like allmusic and seeing the vast array of sub-genres they have come up with. The amount of them are almost rediculous.
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: VAN
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Metal is the biggest perpetrator, it should all be called metal.
obviously you do not listen to that much metal.
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Minstrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
I love going to places like allmusic and seeing the vast array of sub-genres they have come up with. The amount of them are almost rediculous.
But allmusic has pretty decent, credible descriptions of each. And I find them quite useful to find other bands with a very specific sound. They are certainly subjective, but if I like a certain band, whatever allmusic calls it, I can use that highly specific genre to find more bands that have very similar elements (like, say, jangly guitars) that more "agreed upon" genres like "pop," "rock," "metal" wouldn't preserve, informationally.
Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
But allmusic has pretty decent, credible descriptions of each. And I find them quite useful to find other bands with a very specific sound. They are certainly subjective, but if I like a certain band, whatever allmusic calls it, I can use that highly specific genre to find more bands that have very similar elements (like, say, jangly guitars) that more "agreed upon" genres like "pop," "rock," "metal" wouldn't preserve, informationally.

Oh I wasn't complaining. You are right, if you are looking for a certain sound and don't want to go through heeps of artists at aren't related at all, allmusic is the place to go. I'm just saying they really peck at the key genres until there is almost nothing left.
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Minstrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
Oh I wasn't complaining. You are right, if you are looking for a certain sound and don't want to go through heeps of artists at aren't related at all, allmusic is the place to go. I'm just saying they really peck at the key genres until there is almost nothing left.
Yeah, very true. And have you looked at the "moods" for bands? Pretty insane. allmusic has taken description keywords to quite another level.
Minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
Yeah, very true. And have you looked at the "moods" for bands? Pretty insane. allmusic has taken description keywords to quite another level.
No kidding. It's almost meaningless, especially when you have something really diverse and 'quirky' and 'brooding' are tagged for the same album
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.