Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #111 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
Being a musician obviously puts music in a different perspective. I just don't think that not being one makes your opinions void (which you cleared up in your last comment that that's probably not what were implying). Someone who doesn't play music probably doesn't have much room to speak on the originality of a band unless they're a total rip off.
Most definitely, it wasn't my intent to attack non-musicians, I just want them to see how much is put into the songs they listen to. I just find some people can become really vicious about these sorts of things, and it's just amazing. I respect anyone who puts themselves out there, whether or not its music. It could be any art for that matter, I respect that. I don't however respect angsty teens who completely rip apart this band or that band because it doesn't fit their ridiculous standards, because lets face it, how the hell CAN you relate to a teenager who constantly flip flops on how they feel for the moment. We've all been there, we know its true. So, like I said, they can say something, sure, but would I like to see them take a stab at it first? Why not, might round them up a bit culturally. Hopefully.
__________________
For your listening pleasure...
justnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #112 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
I'm pretty in love with Adrian Orange, Karl Blau, The Halo Benders, etc, etc, name drop, name drop. Why would I make a thread on every band I like? I'm pretty sure most people hold back on most of the stuff they like different from everyone and just focus on posting on stuff they have in common. Music is too broad of a subject. If you go to more genre/label oriented boards that's where you find a good healthy discussion on more obscure bands.
Want to PM me tracks from those acts and I'll check it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnic View Post
Nope. People who try, people who put forth the same amount of energy as any band. Mainstream or indie. I have respect for basically any and every band I ever saw pouring buckets of sweat to an empty audience, who recorded it all in their own house because they never had the money for studio time, for the bands who spend time after the shows talking to fans because they really do mean something to them. I just don't like people whining about things they too, can achieve. It's silly. As for mainstream bands, good for them. I don't much care for most of the material, but they obviously worked hard enough to get themselves where they are. Their time will rise and fall, that's just the way it is, but they did it. That's what matters.
I'll agree that people exagerate their point half the time so it doesn't sound so rehashed and boring, but we're walking down the path of "its not ok to say you don't like something because effort was put in."

Its fine to say you don't like something so long as you say why. If I hurt someones feeling thats really thier burden to bare, unless its something personal like

"jesus christ no wonder you were adopted. If my wife ****s a kid out like you, the best you'd hope for is adoption."

If its pertaining to the art you shouldn't limit it.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #113 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Want to PM me tracks from those acts and I'll check it out?



I'll agree that people exagerate their point half the time so it doesn't sound so rehashed and boring, but we're walking down the path of "its not ok to say you don't like something because effort was put in."

Its fine to say you don't like something so long as you say why. If I hurt someones feeling thats really thier burden to bare, unless its something personal like

"jesus christ no wonder you were adopted. If my wife ****s a kid out like you, the best you'd hope for is adoption."

If its pertaining to the art you shouldn't limit it.
I guess that makes sense, but I guess what I'm really just getting at is the basics our mother's taught us all. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Or put up or shut up. Both work fine in this situation. People just need to give props where props are due, ya dig?
__________________
For your listening pleasure...
justnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #114 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

#2 . Bandwagon Fans


No it is'nt a band. Merely a state of mind. Stop following the crowd. Have a dig around and introduce me to some bands. If there is no one new you have heard then balls to the bandwagon. If it's crap, then say it's crap. Fuck kudos points and listen to what you want to. There are far too many robots on MB that agree with every new band that comes along. Be your own person and like what you like. Of course don't turn into an ******* and berate everyone's tastes but be comfortable in your tastes. I am
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #115 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Want to PM me tracks from those acts and I'll check it out?
I never saw this. I'll put something together.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #116 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Casimir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Default

i don't see that much here actually everyone seems to have their own unique opinion.
__________________
LastFM:
http://www.last.fm/user/PredatoryWasp11
:3
Casimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #117 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Of course don't turn into an ******* and berate everyone's tastes but be comfortable in your tastes.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #118 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,072
Default

I listen to MxPx and no one is going to tell me they're shit.
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #119 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I listen to MxPx and no one is going to tell me they're shit.
...and fair play to you. Seriously. If this was the only thing that you listened to then it could be construed as narrow minded but knowing your tastes these days it's all cool.
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #120 (permalink)
I'm better at listening
 
MSPaintClock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 132
Default

1) Douchebag retard mods and annoying users.
MSPaintClock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.