Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #61 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
music_phantom13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 941
Default

I'd say Elvis Presley was hugely controversial; while he was in reality just stealing music from the black community he was still making it accessible to the white world, where most people were listening to those ****ty bands that just stood there and had 4 people sing and look pretty.

Mayhem was pretty bad too. I forget who, but one of their members shot himself in the head with a shotgun. I'm not sure how much of the story is true and how much is urban legend bull****, but I do know a picture of his dead body with part of his head shot off ended up on some album they released or something. I think they did a lot of other wierd **** as well.

Also, when they first came out, I believe I recall hearing about Black Sabbath being banned from certain cities in the deep south over here because people thought they were actually satanists. They stirred up a lot of controversy in their early years.
music_phantom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #62 (permalink)
Groupie
 
chak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
I'd say Elvis Presley was hugely controversial; while he was in reality just stealing music from the black community he was still making it accessible to the white world, where most people were listening to those ****ty bands that just stood there and had 4 people sing and look pretty.

Mayhem was pretty bad too. I forget who, but one of their members shot himself in the head with a shotgun. I'm not sure how much of the story is true and how much is urban legend bull****, but I do know a picture of his dead body with part of his head shot off ended up on some album they released or something. I think they did a lot of other wierd **** as well.

Also, when they first came out, I believe I recall hearing about Black Sabbath being banned from certain cities in the deep south over here because people thought they were actually satanists. They stirred up a lot of controversy in their early years.
i was just watching an Iron Maiden doc and thinking about how much my parents and other people freaked the F out about metal in the 80's.... to them, listening to The Number Of The Beast was the same as sacrificing a goat on the altar of a church. lol.
Bruce D. was basically saying how funny Brits found that, since in the U.K. it was just seen for what it was... marketing hype and crafting an image to sell records, whereas, many in the U.S. took the image as reality and truly believed there were 'dark forces' at work.

Growing up in the South sucked in many ways but it gave me an early window into the extreme ignorance and hypocrisy that people can descend into when free thought and reasoned debate are absent. In other words.. wherever religious dogma takes over completely.

I always felt I was unshockable until I read about Mayhem and the whole Norwegian black metal scene.... since they were indeed, actually 'for real'

Crazy stuff
chak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #63 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chak View Post
i was just watching an Iron Maiden doc and thinking about how much my parents and other people freaked the F out about metal in the 80's.... to them, listening to The Number Of The Beast was the same as sacrificing a goat on the altar of a church. lol.
Bruce D. was basically saying how funny Brits found that, since in the U.K. it was just seen for what it was... marketing hype and crafting an image to sell records, whereas, many in the U.S. took the image as reality and truly believed there were 'dark forces' at work.
Yeah I always thought it was pretty hilarious when people reacted like that. In fact, growing up in a non-religious household I thought the entire concept of satanism was pretty funny to begin with so seeing people freak out about fake satanism was hysterical.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #64 (permalink)
Groupie
 
chak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Yeah I always thought it was pretty hilarious when people reacted like that. In fact, growing up in a non-religious household I thought the entire concept of satanism was pretty funny to begin with so seeing people freak out about fake satanism was hysterical.
back in the days when i had to ask my parents to buy me music... i would always hold up a copy of Maiden's "killers" and ask them to buy it for me.

after that, they would pretty much buy me whatever I wanted. lol.

so i made it work in my favor.

i had it pretty bad though, b/c my parents were even 'afraid' of motley crue.
/facepalm
chak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #65 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chak View Post
back in the days when i had to ask my parents to buy me music... i would always hold up a copy of Maiden's "killers" and ask them to buy it for me.

after that, they would pretty much buy me whatever I wanted. lol.

so i made it work in my favor.

i had it pretty bad though, b/c my parents were even 'afraid' of motley crue.
/facepalm
lol. Well they did encourage smoking in the boys room!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #66 (permalink)
Groupie
 
chak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
lol. Well they did encourage smoking in the boys room!



plus they taught millions of teenage girls how to improperly apply eyeliner
chak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #67 (permalink)
barefoot troubadour
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 143
Default

Well, I did a skim over the thread and didn't see these two, one of which I experienced first-hand and saw the related picketing etc, and the other one is something I've read and come to understand as controversial based on the ideals of the period.

The first is Marilyn Manson, who I saw in Indianapolis in High School and I remember sizeable crowds of picketers waving banners and defending their religion against this apparent poster child for the antiChrist or some bullsh*t because he supposedly ripped up bibles and was generally abrasive toward religion, although I think it always was and still is a calculated act.

The second is Ray Charles, who combined gospel music with sexual content and night club context.

Of course, there's always Black Sabbath.
cavanherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #68 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanherk View Post
The first is Marilyn Manson, who I saw in Indianapolis in High School and I remember sizeable crowds of picketers waving banners and defending their religion against this apparent poster child for the antiChrist or some bullsh*t because he supposedly ripped up bibles and was generally abrasive toward religion, although I think it always was and still is a calculated act.
Of course. I was always amazed that those picketer-types weren't able to see that it was very clearly just an act. Also the idea that Christians somehow need to defend their religion in a country that's 85% Christian is always funny to me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #69 (permalink)
barefoot troubadour
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Of course. I was always amazed that those picketer-types weren't able to see that it was very clearly just an act. Also the idea that Christians somehow need to defend their religion in a country that's 85% Christian is always funny to me.
Laissez-fair. If they didn't do what they do, we'd have little to talk about.
cavanherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #70 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanherk View Post
Laissez-fair. If they didn't do what they do, we'd have little to talk about.
Yeah, the irony is that they wound up basically working as volunteers for Marilyn Manson's PR team.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.