Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: How many albums do you have in your collection?
1-100 12 17.91%
101-200 6 8.96%
201-300 4 5.97%
301-400 2 2.99%
401-500 2 2.99%
501-600 0 0%
601-700 2 2.99%
701-800 2 2.99%
801-900 2 2.99%
901-1000 5 7.46%
1,001-2,000 17 25.37%
2,001-3,000 5 7.46%
3,001-4,000 6 8.96%
4,001+ 2 2.99%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #51 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Depends how long you've been listening to music.
Good point, gramps!
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #52 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
That's awfully arrogant and pretentious of you, to assume these things when you clearly haven't gone through them yourself. Considering you admit to having very few albums, maybe you shouldn't try to speak for those who have a larger collection? Perhaps they can handle an amount you can't, and can "really listen" to all of it at the same time. Just saying.
Ok, that's a bit aggressive - I didn't want to start anything. Look, I never suggested I was more of a fan, or a better fan than anyone else, or other people are in any way wrong. In fact I specified the opposite.

I'm just looking at this mathematically. If you have 1000 albums, and listen to 3 different albums every day of your life, you still only get to hear each of them once a year! Multiple thousands of albums, and it's far less frequently. And that's not including new music you're buying. That just wouldn't work for me.

I never said there was anything wrong with it. Are we not allowed to talk about stuff unless we've directly experienced it now? Should I just reply with a number and leave it at that? Great conversation that would be.

(by the way, if my ~700 albums is "very few", then we're completely on another scale again)
neverthesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #53 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesame View Post
I'm just looking at this mathematically. If you have 1000 albums, and listen to 3 different albums every day of your life, you still only get to hear each of them once a year! Multiple thousands of albums, and it's far less frequently. And that's not including new music you're buying. That just wouldn't work for me.
Who listens to music like that though? I know for me, and I think this is true for most people, it's more the case that I listen to certain albums a lot for a while then start listening to them less and less as time goes by and I find new albums to get into. I certainly go back and revisit old favorites from time to time but it's not like I feel the need to consistently listen to every single album I own on a regular basis.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesame View Post
Ok, that's a bit aggressive - I didn't want to start anything.
Actually, it wasn't aggressive at all. It was a pretentious comment. Therefore, I called it pretentious. I apologize if you registered it as aggressive.

Quote:
Look, I never suggested I was more of a fan, or a better fan than anyone else, or other people are in any way wrong. In fact I specified the opposite.
If you attest to having less knowledge/experience/fanship, why are you saying "listening to more than 25 albums a year will not let you appreciate them" like it's factual?

Quote:
I'm just looking at this mathematically. If you have 1000 albums, and listen to 3 different albums every day of your life, you still only get to hear each of them once a year! Multiple thousands of albums, and it's far less frequently. And that's not including new music you're buying. That just wouldn't work for me.
Nobody really listens to music like this. Forming a mathematical point of view on this just doesn't work, because, as Jans said, nobody really listens to music in a completely systematic and lifeless way. There's a lot of thought, mood and emotion that the person puts into making their musical choices for that day.

Sure, they could listen to 'on average' 3.33333333333 new albums per day... But does that REALLY mean much over a year-long period? Some weeks, I revisit old favorites, give things second/third/fourth/nth chances that I didn't much care for last time, and other weeks I listen to predominantly new things, etc. In fact, if I'm in a frame of mind where I enjoy new music, I probably GET a lot out of it, and therefore those listens mean a lot more towards this 'really listening to the music' thing you're hung up on.

Quote:
I never said there was anything wrong with it. Are we not allowed to talk about stuff unless we've directly experienced it now? Should I just reply with a number and leave it at that? Great conversation that would be.
When you have an OPINION, talk about it as though it were an opinion; you did at first I notice, with the 'reckon', but your following tangent was very much objective for the sake of being objective.

Also,

Quote:
by the way, if my ~700 albums is "very few", then we're completely on another scale again
When you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesame View Post
Not saying there's anything wrong with having 1000's, I just prefer having fewer albums, that I really obsessively love and play to death. Like I mentioned in my post, I also have many albums I hardly listen to at all.
You've admitted to having fewer albums right here; what's wrong with me using it as a piece of evidence if you yourself said it to be true? And you are correct, ~700 really isn't a small number, and you have quite the collection, but you DID say "fewer albums", which comes across as saying that you have a very small collection.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
myspace.com/stonebirdies
 
Stone Birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conor Oberst Was/is Here
Posts: 1,401
Default

i have over 100 CD's and i've downloaded about 80 albums on the internet
so 101 -200
__________________
//\\//\\/\\/\/\/\\\\\\\\///\/\/\/\/\\////\/\\\\\///\V

//\\//\\/\\/\/\/\\\\\\\\///\/\/\/\/\\////\/\\\\\///\V

[Link removed by mod, no advertising] ... Damn those mods are always gettin ya :)
Stone Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #56 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
When you have an OPINION, talk about it as though it were an opinion; you did at first I notice, with the 'reckon', but your following tangent was very much objective for the sake of being objective.
Ok, this is why I can't be bothered - spouting about the correct way to express an "OPINION" (on the internet, of all places), and you called me "arrogant and pretentious"?
neverthesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #57 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesame View Post
Right - very very short albums then, or very very serious insomnia.

That's completely beside the point anyway.. I'm talking about really getting to know an album, not a SINGLE listen to it.

My point was simply that if you're quoting that you have 1000's of albums, you can't possibly really listen to them all.
This is the post I was talking about, hence why I quoted it.

This is not somebody declaring they have an opinion. This is somebody declaring that they are correct, with a bunch of arbitrarily chosen methods for proving whatever point they were trying to make.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 AM   #58 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Default

In my opinion, I have around 700 albums.
neverthesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 AM   #59 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong.
I think 1,000+ is about right when you consider the amount of genres out there.
I have select favourite records I listen to all of the time, and I know them inside out.
But I like to mix things up and experience new music, variety is the spice of life.
I don't think any amount of music is TOO much, I do however believe there's such a thing as too little.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #60 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
downwardspiral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 729
Default

one.
__________________


downwardspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.