Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Yeah, I'm really glad I got to go, it was kind of last minute



Perhaps it doesn't have bad connotations for you, but I believe atonality is fundamentally counter to what I consider music. It turns a collection of notes into nothing more than aimless noise.
Are you sure you're using atonality in the correct definition? Because, knowing or not, I'm sure there's a ton of music which you enjoy that is atonal. Hip-hop, for example, is obviously completely atonal, as well as a lot of rock.

Personally, I don't care for scales. That's not just for noise, or avant-garde, either. There's no reason why you can't right fully harmonic/melodic music completely ignoring them. I think there's gaps in the system that can easily be matched with human intuition which is often more substantial than 'theory math'.

Glad you enjoyed Mastadon, though. I really need to get out to concerts more. Last thing I saw was Battles, and that was in freaking August.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
TheFolkslave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 457
Default

I've seen quite a few great gigs this autumn. few weeks ago I saw Cat Martino opening for Marissa Nadler. Both of the girls were absolutely breathtaking. Cat Martino was cool since she palyed around with loop pedals alot. Marissa Nadler was also really amazing and I love her albums. I also saw Doug Paisley earlier this autumn. He's a really cool country/folk artist from Canada
__________________




Well I come from the old time baby, where all the kids are crazy.
TheFolkslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

Last show I went to was actually a festival.
Here's the pictures and video:
clickety!
Lowlands Festival 2011.
Not a particularly good edition by the way.
I went to see:
C.W. Stoneking, Jungle by Night, Mariachi el Bronx, White Denim, Arctic Monkeys, Junip, DeWolff, Flogging Molly, Seasick Steve, Babylon Circus, Erland & The Carnival, Beady Eye and the Offspring for nostalgia's sake
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post


I just went to see Scratch Acid last night. I've been a fan of them since I was fourteen or fifteen and never in million years thought I'd ever have a chance to see them live since they broke up in 1987. So I was shocked when I found out they were playing walking distance from my house! It was my first time at this particular venue, which just opened a month or two ago, and I really liked the setup of the place. And the band were great! The years have definitely not been kind to David Yow and honestly he looked like he was about keel over at any moment, but he put absolutely everything into his signing, hocked lugies all over the stage and fortunately kept his clothes on for the entire show. I've always been a fan of David Wm. Sims' bass playing and it was great to see him perform in person, but the person who really surprised me was Rey Washam. I never thought to much about his drumming before but seeing him live gave me a whole new appreciation--he really is a pretty fantastic drummer. Highlights of the show for me were "Lay Screaming", "Damned for All Time", "Cannibal" and "She Said".
Man that is immense when a band you really want to see turns up on your doorstep! I don't know much about Scratch Acid at all (hides) but I know how it feels to click a few names off the 'to see before you die' list. I caught Fields Of The Nephilim on their only U.K date in years a couple of weeks back along with The Mission who were only doing 3 dates and I was made up. Sisters Of Mercy doing a 2 hour set on a very rare date for me Sunday night.
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: mars university
Posts: 132
Default

i saw modern english about a month ago
killcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 22
Default

Meatloaf....terrible,terrible performance, out of breath, cant move, cant reach any note above a whisper, needs guitarist to duet sing his lines with him so he sounds good!

going to see Roger Waters "the wall" live in january...now that should be good
CRAZY-HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,922
Default

Last night I went to see Opeth and Pain of Salvation.

PoS were alright, passable, but theres just something about them that I cant completely get into. I'll probably give the albums I have another go this week though.

Opeth were stunning. They didnt play any metal, but rather a complete set of their proggier, clean stuff. The set list for this tour wont please everyone but I thought it was astounding.
__________________

Last.FM | Blank Slate | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Still sends his reguards.
 
bob.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Trying to get out of the cat town....
Posts: 5,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post


I just went to see Scratch Acid last night. I've been a fan of them since I was fourteen or fifteen and never in million years thought I'd ever have a chance to see them live since they broke up in 1987. So I was shocked when I found out they were playing walking distance from my house! It was my first time at this particular venue, which just opened a month or two ago, and I really liked the setup of the place. And the band were great! The years have definitely not been kind to David Yow and honestly he looked like he was about keel over at any moment, but he put absolutely everything into his signing, hocked lugies all over the stage and fortunately kept his clothes on for the entire show. I've always been a fan of David Wm. Sims' bass playing and it was great to see him perform in person, but the person who really surprised me was Rey Washam. I never thought to much about his drumming before but seeing him live gave me a whole new appreciation--he really is a pretty fantastic drummer. Highlights of the show for me were "Lay Screaming", "Damned for All Time", "Cannibal" and "She Said".
^this is why if i ever make it back to Philly....you and i are meeting up for drinks in Fishtown!

when Jesus Lizard came to play Seattle on their reunion....the Stranger interviewed Yow and asked him if we could play on a full exposure show....he replied with...."i can't think of why anybody would want to see a 48 year old penis.".....needless to say his pants stayed on

Scratch Acid and the legendary Fillmore Theater dec 14!.....i cannot wait and your post just tripled my excitement
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Man that is immense when a band you really want to see turns up on your doorstep! I don't know much about Scratch Acid at all (hides) but I know how it feels to click a few names off the 'to see before you die' list. I caught Fields Of The Nephilim on their only U.K date in years a couple of weeks back along with The Mission who were only doing 3 dates and I was made up. Sisters Of Mercy doing a 2 hour set on a very rare date for me Sunday night.
Nice! I saw Sisters of Mercy in the late 90s and they put on a terrific show. Hope you enjoy it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
^this is why if i ever make it back to Philly....you and i are meeting up for drinks in Fishtown!
Absolutely! I actually used to work in Fishtown so I have some favorite bars there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
when Jesus Lizard came to play Seattle on their reunion....the Stranger interviewed Yow and asked him if we could play on a full exposure show....he replied with...."i can't think of why anybody would want to see a 48 year old penis.".....needless to say his pants stayed on


Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
Scratch Acid and the legendary Fillmore Theater dec 14!.....i cannot wait and your post just tripled my excitement
You'll definitely have to do a little write up here after you go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.