Rock/Metal lovers, do you consider EVERY pop song or band out there bad? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
Screen13's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,388

Abba - The Visitors era is clearly my favorite of theirs. Like a lot of their 70's stuff, but that era stood out. Let's see the Pop Idols of now even go near that kind of maturity. (Small Trivia Fact: Benny and Bjorn contributed to the soundtrack to Joe Sarno's The Seduction of Inga...being the Exploitation Movie fan, it's good to know such cool pre-stardom things like that).

I think that Pop stopped being good around 1997/Pop Idol/Spice Girls/American Idol era, when the industry knew 100% what it took to keep their monies moving and sell in the biggest way to the areas where music was not the matter, but the celebrity. It always was the "Default Setting" as Louise Werner put it in Live Forever, but since then, it has turned into a mega-monster of media (say that three times fast!).

Sadly, this obviously has caused a lot of bands who are naturally Pop in sound to call themselves Rock. Pop is the ugly Three Letter Word of music now.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
jackhammer's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,331

80% of Metal heads are narrow minded idiots anyhow and their opinions regarding music just reinforce the stereotypical outsiders view of metalheads unfortunately. I like to think I'm in the other 20%.

Pop music will always have it's detractors of those who are growing up with it at a particular time. The better Pop music will find longevity if it is good enough so I never worry about it too much.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
Roguette's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Central NC
Posts: 62

Originally Posted by janexie View Post
Let me just start by saying that I am also a metal-head when it comes to Symphonic Metal. I love the mixture of classical and heavy rock music- it's beautiful. I have noticed that almost all metal and rock lovers hate pop music. Believe me, I hate it too, but only the new pop. I find it to be stupid, filled with disgusting sexual material and good singers are scarce in the genre because of the overuse of autotune.......
etc etc....

I kind of hate to be caught quoting an 11 year old post that apparently was the poster's ONLY outing on MB but here I am doing it.

I like to call symphonic metal OPERA metal, just because. I'm a snob? Lol. Maybe it was because Kamelot got me onto the genre, followed by female vocalists like Tarja and Simone (Nightwish, Epica and so on).

But here is one "pop" song....though maybe I'm taking this term WAY too generally???..... that after I heard it once on XM or somewhere I just had to look it up and play-replay-replay about 8 times that evening.

So am I being really stupid by digging up this old dusty thing and then I get the meaning of it completely wrong?? If that's true then I'll just put this up here to try to make up for it. Tarja and Sharon.

Roguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 01:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Music Addict
Norg's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,346

im a metal head and i like pop sooo.... i guess im not Tru METAL :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 4

I think there's a lot of overlap between good rock and good pop.
TheStarplagueCollective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 113

Pretty much 100% of currently popular manufactured pop is garbage. But there is good pop and bad pop. I saw a British woman (since relocated to Salt Lake City--go figure) who calls herself Fonteyn open for The Nude Party earlier this year. She takes the better 70s pop influences like Carole King and Todd Rundgren's more pop oriented stuff and puts her own, updated stamp on it. I expected to be bored out of my mind by her set but was very pleasantly surprised. She even joined the headliners during their set for a cover of King's It's Too Late.
Drjohnrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads

© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.