Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default Do you subscribe to the "grower" school of thought?

I don't mean are you into gardening! A lot of people, particularly here, seem to be happy to listen to an album multiple times before they decide if they like it. Such an album is referred here to as a "grower", presumably because it eventually grows on you. But I've more music backed up on my computer than I could ever realistically listen to in a lifetime (which doesn't stop me downloading more nearly every day!) and don't have time to let albums grow on me. Personally, if I don't hear at least some promise in an album first time out I'll usually drop it. Whether or not my opinion would change after several spins is not something I have the time or patience for: albums have one chance to impress me and that's it.

So how do you feel? If you're a believer in the grower theory, how long does it take or how many spins before an album is or isn't pronounced worthy by you? And is this a constant thing, spinning back to back or every day say, or do you put it away, come back to it, put it away, come back to it and so on?

Just interested. How do yaz all feel about this?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

I don't have any hard and fast rules. Sometimes I listen to an album, don't like it and never end up listening to it again, sometimes I give it additional chances and never enjoy it, and sometimes after additional listens I end up loving it. It just depends. There are also some artists who I know tend to make albums that take me more than one listen to get into (i.e. Tom Waits) so I always give them multiple listens before passing judgement.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,378
Default

I do believe in it because its happened to me. Having said that, something tends to get me to give a bad album more spins than "hope" alone.

What happens most often is that I'll like a few songs and grow into the album, rather than me liking nothing and grow into it completely. The Return on Investment with a lot of albums isn't statistically in my favor. So its rare that I go from complete hate to full passion.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,633
Default

I grew on Meat is Murder. It is now my favourite Smiths album. I tend to give albums new chances if I think I might grow on them, but if I think they're absolutely terrible, I'll just drop it.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,167
Default

I usually don't return to an album after disliking it on my first try. However, I won't delete it from my iTunes library because one day when I'm listening to it on shuffle, a track from the album will come up and I'll like it because I'm coming at it from a new perspective more or less. That's how I grew to love Trout Mask Replica. Sometimes hype will push me to revisit an album though.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,370
Default

Some of my all-time favourite albums have been "growers", so yes, I´m a believer, but rather like TH, with the quantity of music that´s available now, I´m not quite so patient about letting new albums grow on me.

I guess I have a kind of checklist in my head the first time I hear an album: How noisy is it? How interesting are the lyrics? Is there some instrumental excitement there? That´s why I might replay some jazz album, for instance, to give it a chance to sink in. Would I give a Justin Bieber album a second chance? Probably not.

Mentioning a pop star makes me think of the converse of TH´s question: do you distrust an album if you instantly like it ? That´s happened to me a few times; an album seems great first off but about three plays later it sounds like a shallow piece of garbage!
__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

I don't think this is a situation where you can subscribe to a belief. I think it is a fact that some music will grow on you the more you listen to it.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,370
Default

If I found that album growing on me, I´d probably listen to these guys for a while...

[/url]
__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
It took a long time for this album to grow on me:



֟
---
Now playing: Catherine Jauniaux - Origine Des Femmes
Yeah, but was it magic?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I don't think this is a situation where you can subscribe to a belief. I think it is a fact that some music will grow on you the more you listen to it.
I know what you're saying and that is a fact: usually if you're exposed to music for long enough you'll end up liking it, or, more likely, just getting used to it. It's what has us humming the most godawful pop tunes despite our better judgement if we've heard them enough ("Baby I'm toxic!"....) but the point is do you put yourself deliberately in a situation where, having listened to an album and not liked it or been blown away by it, you think I'll give that a few more goes, or do you say no, didn't like it, on to the next one, and never go back to it? That's a conscious decision I feel we all either make or don't make.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.