Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do you care about lyrics
Yes 20 68.97%
No 9 31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
silky smooth
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,674
Default

I'm gonna echo TH's sentiments here, lyrics are near the top of my list in terms of things I value in music. There are plenty of exceptions, but a lot of the time an album/song can set itself apart massively from another seemingly similar album/song solely on the basis of it's strong lyrics. Example: I think Chvrches lyrics are considerably better than 99% of the synthpop I've heard (which is a ton), hence why I think Chvrches are so excellent.

That's also why I generally gravitate away from lyrical music where I can't hear or understand the singer whether it's because of effects or if the singer just plain can't enunciate or is simply screaming. It just doesn't work that well for me. Again there are exceptions but this is generally how I feel.
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Think about how life sucks -> Vent about it on MusicBanter -> Make no progress towards improving life because limited free time is wasted on MusicBanter -> Think about how life sucks
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
That's also why I generally gravitate away from lyrical music where I can't hear or understand the singer whether it's because of effects or if the singer just plain can't enunciate or is simply screaming. It just doesn't work that well for me. Again there are exceptions but this is generally how I feel.
Reminds me of listening to Sam Smith on SNL and I'm like wtf is he saying? It sounded like he was mumbling and I just busted out laughing.

First impression of Sam Smith and I will probably pass up his album because of it.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
My Body is a Cage.
 
Alice in Chains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Down in a hole..
Posts: 134
Default

I pay, probably too much, attention to the lyrics. The lyrics is what ultimately draws me in. You could have a damn good feeling, beat, nice instruments but if you have lyrics that make me melt, I'm all yours.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
"You make me sick, you pitiful wuss."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Guy View Post
I feel that people have executed this type of thing before with much more substance and originality.
Alice in Chains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Andrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 21
Default

I think I first hear the song, and if I like it, I google the lyrics, after all a good song has to have amazing lyrics, bringing back the genius of Alex Turner, Gabrielle Aplin and Jake Bugg have amazing lyrics.
Andrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

There are a few bands out there I enjoy listening to for their lyrics, but generally speaking I'm into music for the sound more than anything else. As long as the vocalist does good vocal work no matter if the lyrics aren't great, I'm sold.

I'll sing along to lyrics that I can make a comical imitation of, but that's just my silly humor.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinn View Post
There are a few bands out there I enjoy listening to for their lyrics, but generally speaking I'm into music for the sound more than anything else. As long as the vocalist does good vocal work no matter if the lyrics aren't great, I'm sold.

I'll sing along to lyrics that I can make a comical imitation of, but that's just my silly humor.
You mean like.....

"More then a woman....more then a woman to me...."

"Bald headed woman, bald headed woman to me...." Something like that?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
You mean like.....

"More then a woman....more then a woman to me...."

"Bald headed woman, bald headed woman to me...." Something like that?


Not really. Rather, I'll sing a long to the lyrics in order to make a comical imitation of the vocalist. Example like Michael Jackson, George Michael or something. I'll get into some diva mode and imitate them if I hear their songs.

Usually this requires a certain amount of drinking.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinn View Post


Not really. Rather, i'll sing a long to the lyrics in order to make a comical imitation of the vocalist. Example like michael jackson, george michael or something. I'll get into some diva mode and imitate them if i hear their songs.

Usually this requires a certain amount of drinking.
what i wouldn't give to see you singing drunkly into a blowdryer!

Youtube video a must!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinn View Post


Not really. Rather, I'll sing a long to the lyrics in order to make a comical imitation of the vocalist. Example like Michael Jackson, George Michael or something. I'll get into some diva mode and imitate them if I hear their songs.

Usually this requires a certain amount of drinking.
Lol. Requires no drinking for me. I used to do that all the time when my mother's favorite songs would come on. Singing it horribly on purpose with diva level ranges.

Selena, Celine Dion, Meatloaf, Rod Stewart. None of their songs were safe.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brain Licker
 
Xurtio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,082
Default

I rarely pay attention to lyrics the first time through. Sometimes they stand out.

I always loved instrumentals. Lyrics are the last thing I listen to, and sometimes I'll learn to appreciate the lyrics if the music and the vocals are good enough and it fits the attitude and image of the band (i.e. Mindless Self Indulgence).
Xurtio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.