Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #361 (permalink)
Caesar is home.
 
Thelonious Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Ja, I agree. Conceptual pieces don't do well in the bedroom. Funk is the way to go.
I'm curious. Do you enjoy listening to silence? I think somebody asked this already, but I can't remember the reply.
Thelonious Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #362 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJJustin View Post
I'm curious. Do you enjoy listening to silence? I think somebody asked this already, but I can't remember the reply.
There's no such thing as silence. I do often find myself enjoying ambient noise though.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #363 (permalink)
Caesar is home.
 
Thelonious Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
There's no such thing as silence.
I'm out.
Thelonious Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #364 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,316
Default

Read the edit.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #365 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,124
Default

hi!! I just came out from writing my essay on 4'33" and why it is definitely music.

so we all agree that 4'33" incorporates, at the very least, sounds, right? it is most certainly not silence.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #366 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
hi!! I just came out from writing my essay on 4'33" and why it is definitely music.

so we all agree that 4'33" incorporates, at the very least, sounds, right? it is most certainly not silence.
If it were "played" in an anechoic chamber there'd be nothing. Nada. Zilch. Silence.

No sound whatsoever.

Case closed.
__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #367 (permalink)
Mord
 
Zhanteimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 4,856
Default

Well, if somebody wanked out an essay about it, then that's canon!
Zhanteimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #368 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15
Default

I've always gone with the idea that if any sounds are pointed at and called music, they are music. 4'33'' is kind of exactly that. It's pointing at the sounds around it and saying "that is music" and I don't see why I would disagree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
If it were "played" in an anechoic chamber there'd be nothing. Nada. Zilch. Silence.

No sound whatsoever.

Case closed.
No, to be played there would still have to be the "instruments", and while normally I would say that that would be the audience, as that is what is listened for, it is at least stated to be a "piano piece", meaning piano and pianist. If it were performed in an anechoic chamber, sure the echos wouldn't be there making it near inaudible, but the original sounds made simply by the pianist breathing, shifting weights, etc would still be there.
And if you played any music in space through an mp3 player and speakers, there would be no sound. And I'm pretty sure the speakers' diaphragms wouldn't work right anyway... but that's not the point.

Your argument seems to be that the music is dictated by the instructions given, which can exist without the need for sound, but oftentimes music isn't appreciated for technical merit, rather temperament or texture, which could not exist as concepts without sound. Yes music can exist without any apparent thought towards the actual sound and still be exceptional (Conlon Nancarrow), but the opposite can be true as well (Merzbow I think. I don't listen much. Not since I missed a fire alarm because I thought it was part of the song...).
And to say that, simply because 4'33'' is reliant totally on sound to profess its philosophy, rather than expressing itself through current post-Pythagorean equivalencies, dismisses a lot of what sets music apart from other media.

I'd never heard of the anechoic chamber though. That thing's cool.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
(4'33 is NOT f*cking music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Ja, I agree. Conceptual pieces don't do well in the bedroom. Funk is the way to go.
I dunno, what's sexier than the sounds of sex? *Plays loud amateur porn videos converted to FLAC in bed*

Last edited by Rowan Weaver; 12-14-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Rowan Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #369 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 5,153
Default

You know what I've learned from this topic? The 4'33" is the perfect way to turn any musical discussion into a boring and drawn-out debate.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #370 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
You know what I've learned from this topic? The 4'33" is the perfect way to turn any musical discussion into a boring and drawn-out debate.
I guess that's cause it's the debate in and of itself. What it is is a profession on what it believes to be music, so it's just the perfect analogue for either side of the discussion. *shrug*

Last edited by Rowan Weaver; 12-14-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Make it seem less rude
Rowan Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.