Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   General Music (https://www.musicbanter.com/general-music/)
-   -   What Sucks About This Artist: Eric Clapton Edition (https://www.musicbanter.com/general-music/95461-what-sucks-about-artist-eric-clapton-edition.html)

Trollheart 12-22-2021 07:13 PM

He used to be in sixties rock band Cream, and if you don't know "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes, which is him, kill yourself. The guy had good music, though I was never a fan, but I will think twice before listening to him again. I have two vinyl albums by him, but like all my vinyl they're gathering dust.

I won't put up any YouTube videos in case he hears about it and sues me.
:shycouch:

Norg 12-22-2021 07:38 PM

who is better Eric clapton or Korn ..????

Trollheart 12-22-2021 08:39 PM

Do Korn sue people for selling their bootleg CDs?

The Batlord 12-22-2021 08:42 PM

Who is better Eric Clapton or Metallica ..????

Trollheart 12-22-2021 09:04 PM

Who is better: Eric Clapton or a singing turd?

DinoDavid 12-23-2021 01:52 AM

Let me guess, the Eric Clapton edition existed just because he revealed to be Anti-Vax since 2020(Prior to this, he was usually apolitical and never even discusses political issues at all from what I seen until he gone anti-vax)?

Trollheart 12-23-2021 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinoDavid (Post 2194896)
Let me guess, the Eric Clapton edition existed just because he revealed to be Anti-Vax since 2020(Prior to this, he was usually apolitical and never even discusses political issues at all from what I seen until he gone anti-vax)?

Clapton has always been a racist scumbag. Read post number 2.

Lisnaholic 12-23-2021 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norg (Post 2194825)
what type of music does he play im guessing he has a live solo band or is it all guitar ..????

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 2194831)
you're asking what type of music Eric Clapton plays?

...and I'm asking what a live solo band is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 2194843)
He used to be in sixties rock band Cream, and if you don't know "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes, which is him, with a song made exceptional by Duane Allman's stellar guitar playing, kill yourself.
I won't put up any YouTube videos in case he hears about it and sues me.
:shycouch:

^ FTFY, Trollheart.

Just because I think this performance is just bursting with Cream at their aggressive, exciting best: listen to it loud and see what "attacking a song" really means:-



(Vocals- Jack Bruce, drums-ginger Baker, lead guitarist - cannot be named for legal reasons, and for fear of upsetting TH)

Norg 12-23-2021 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 2194867)
Do Korn sue people for selling their bootleg CDs?


No

elphenor 12-23-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 2194843)
He used to be in sixties rock band Cream, and if you don't know "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes, which is him, kill yourself.

on the contrary, if I ever have to hear that song again I just might do myself in

Screen13 12-27-2021 07:16 PM

For some reason, in my opinion he really "went south" when he fully went solo even before the rant that's been quoted many times over (and justifiably - in a live setting that's never called for such stuff). In bands - Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and The Dominos - he was alright even though I still don't get the "God" thing attached to him. He could have even formed something with George Harrison and made it work if Cream's "Badge" is anything to go by. Maybe there was just being with others that curtailed the very elements which made many criticize him.

Growing up, I heard the talent but never really got into the MOR AOR/Dad Rock that he created. Maybe it was the Alternative 80's in me, but I seriously laughed when I heard "I Got a Rock and Roll Heart" and heard nothing but bland bar music while moving into '85 and wanting him to stop despite the fact that "Forever Man" was a hit with a capital S.

The recent bit about going against someone selling a Bootleg (Live USA, just in case someone asks) that was one that can be bought from a German store (and I'm sure others) in the 90's was really something that could have been handled better by both parties but has shown the lack of communication we have today. Imtrat went through the loopholes and released a number of those dodgy discs, many of them under the Live USA banner - some possibly of serious historical interest to listeners - but to me it should have be a hint that it really should have been "No Go" to e-bay it if you can't sell it on Discogs. It was all clickbait headlines and the rest.

Tristan_Geoff 12-27-2021 09:00 PM

I for one admire my Eric Claptin overlord and appreciate his accomplishments towards bein the shredder he is at the geetar

Tristan_Geoff 12-27-2021 09:01 PM

jk **** a musical copright money grubber

rostasi 12-27-2021 09:09 PM

I hope Eric gets a ton of clap.

Lisnaholic 12-28-2021 07:22 AM

^ HaHa! Very droll !

Although it was a decade or so later, I actually attended the same High School as EC, so as you can imagine he was something of a local hero, and if you knew where to look you might see him in a pub. We saw him in the country pub that was three mins walk from from EC's house and where, reputedly, George Harrison had sat in the pub garden, admiring the spectacular view and dreaming up "Here Comes The Sun". The pub used to serve light meals, like paté on toast. This is a detail I remember because I was so proud of the remark I made to my friends: "I think I'll have the Paté Boyd."

Top that if you can, Trollheart!

rubber soul 12-28-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 2195330)
"I think I'll have the Paté Boyd."

Top that if you can, Trollheart!

https://images.emojiterra.com/google...12px/1f92e.png

Lisnaholic 12-28-2021 07:53 AM

Well, perhaps it was one of those things that seemed funny at the time, rs, but I feel your reaction is a little harsh :( + ;)

Trollheart 12-28-2021 10:11 AM

That's nothing. I once met Sean Dunphy in a chip shop AND he gave me a chip! :D

rostasi 12-28-2021 10:14 AM

(...looks up Sean Dunphy...hmmm...football player...singer... ??)

Lisnaholic 12-28-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rostasi (Post 2195345)
(...looks up Sean Dunphy...hmmm...football player...singer... ??)

^ Ditto, except *doesn't bother to look up Sean Dunphy*

Who is this guy,TH ? Your old gym teacher, or what? ;)

rubber soul 12-28-2021 10:51 AM

More important question. Just what kind of chip did he give you? :D

elphenor 12-28-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screen13 (Post 2195304)
For some reason, in my opinion he really "went south" when he fully went solo even before the rant that's been quoted many times over (and justifiably - in a live setting that's never called for such stuff). In bands - Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and The Dominos - he was alright even though I still don't get the "God" thing attached to him. He could have even formed something with George Harrison and made it work if Cream's "Badge" is anything to go by. Maybe there was just being with others that curtailed the very elements which made many criticize him.

Growing up, I heard the talent but never really got into the MOR AOR/Dad Rock that he created. Maybe it was the Alternative 80's in me, but I seriously laughed when I heard "I Got a Rock and Roll Heart" and heard nothing but bland bar music while moving into '85 and wanting him to stop despite the fact that "Forever Man" was a hit with a capital S.

The recent bit about going against someone selling a Bootleg (Live USA, just in case someone asks) that was one that can be bought from a German store (and I'm sure others) in the 90's was really something that could have been handled better by both parties but has shown the lack of communication we have today. Imtrat went through the loopholes and released a number of those dodgy discs, many of them under the Live USA banner - some possibly of serious historical interest to listeners - but to me it should have be a hint that it really should have been "No Go" to e-bay it if you can't sell it on Discogs. It was all clickbait headlines and the rest.

you're just as greedy if you're out there selling bootleg CDs in my eyes

Eric Clapton more sucks for his legacy as a Guitar God which he didn't intend anyway (and also for the racism)

Cream still ****ing Rocks

rubber soul 12-28-2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 2195355)
you're just as greedy if you're out there selling bootleg CDs in my eyes

Eric Clapton more sucks for his legacy as a Guitar God which he didn't intend anyway (and also for the racism)

Cream still ****ing Rocks

Especially for the racism.

And, yeah, Clapton's best work was definitely with Cream. His work with the Yardbirds was good but I'd rate Jeff Beck a little better, even if he was a flake.

As for his solo stuff, his self titled album and 461 Ocean Boulevard, but otherwise, meh.

rostasi 12-28-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 2195355)
you're just as greedy if you're out there selling bootleg CDs in my eyes

Perspective, please.

The woman - we don't know her age - was basically selling off her dead husband's stuff on eBay. Thinking that she had some kind of nefarious reason is purely conjecture at this point. Like many partners of music fans, there is no reason to think she even knew or cared what a bootleg was. All she knew is that her hubby bought it in a shop sometime in the 80s and was of no use to her, so why not include it in with some other stuff of his to sell.

The greed lies more in the third-rate musician-coddling and all the self-importance that generates.

elphenor 12-28-2021 11:41 AM

oh that's fair enough

seems like Clapton or whoever in his legal team didn't differentiate then

rostasi 12-28-2021 11:54 AM

No, because they're self-important greedy fucks.

Lisnaholic 12-28-2021 12:05 PM

There was a time when, despite super-star status EC did a few low-key unadvertised gigs at local village halls near his house. Here's one with Gary Brooker and Andy Fairweather-Low among others:-


They don't pull any punches in the performance, even though there were only about 200 people in the audience. Added bonus: if you look carefully, you can even see Sean Dunphy in the crowd - he's the guy standing next to Trollheart.

Plankton 12-28-2021 12:14 PM

Jimi Hendrix's grandma is in there too.

Trollheart 12-28-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 2195344)
That's nothing. I once met Sean Dunphy in a chip shop AND he gave me a chip! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 2195350)
^ Ditto, except *doesn't bother to look up Sean Dunphy*

Who is this guy,TH ? Your old gym teacher, or what? ;)

Dunno. Me ma said he was someone though. Hey, I got a free chip, what do I care? :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubber soul (Post 2195351)
More important question. Just what kind of chip did he give you? :D

Unsure, but I carry it on my shoulder to this day.
Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 2195355)
you're just as greedy if you're out there selling bootleg CDs in my eyes

Eric Clapton more sucks for his legacy as a Guitar God which he didn't intend anyway (and also for the racism)

Cream still ****ing Rocks

Yeah, greedy. A whole eleven dollars. Wow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rubber soul (Post 2195356)
Especially for the racism.

And, yeah, Clapton's best work was definitely with Cream. His work with the Yardbirds was good but I'd rate Jeff Beck a little better, even if he was a flake.

As for his solo stuff, his self titled album and 461 Ocean Boulevard, but otherwise, meh.

Have to rate "Layla", "Wonderful Tonight" but "Tears in Heaven" just makes me want to puke. No offence, as a father I'm sure he was hurting but it seems almost a little like capitalising on a tragedy to me. August and Behind the Sun were half-ok albums (the only ones I have) though what possessed him to duet with Tina Turner I don't know. And Clapton could not really by any metric be called a shredder. There's a reason he's known as "Slowhand".
Quote:

Originally Posted by rostasi (Post 2195357)
Perspective, please.

The woman - we don't know her age - was basically selling off her dead husband's stuff on eBay. Thinking that she had some kind of nefarious reason is purely conjecture at this point. Like many partners of music fans, there is no reason to think she even knew or cared what a bootleg was. All she knew is that her hubby bought it in a shop sometime in the 80s and was of no use to her, so why not include it in with some other stuff of his to sell.

The greed lies more in the third-rate musician-coddling and all the self-importance that generates.

I am on her side, however she was advised to stop and basically gave the legal guys the finger, so it's hard to have that much sympathy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 2195361)
There was a time when, despite super-star status EC did a few low-key unadvertised gigs at local village halls near his house. Here's one with Gary Brooker and Andy Fairweather-Low among others:-


They don't pull any punches in the performance, even though there were only about 200 people in the audience. Added bonus: if you look carefully, you can even see Sean Dunphy in the crowd - he's the guy standing next to Trollheart.

You can tell me by the chip, but you really have to zoom in. :D

Lisnaholic 12-28-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2195362)
Jimi Hendrix's grandma is in there too.

Thanks! I didn't recognise her until she took out her false teeth and started whistling Purple Haze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trollheart (Post 2195364)
Dunno. Me ma said he was someone though. Hey, I got a free chip, what do I care? :D

Unsure, but I carry it on my shoulder to this day.

Good one!

Quote:

And Clapton could not really by any metric be called a shredder. There's a reason he's known as "Slowhand".
Yes, I thought that was a weird description too.

With all this focus on his mid-career solo albums & persona:
yes, I don't like the way he tried to turn himself into some rather too slick middle-of-the-road singer/songwriter, but if anyone has taken the trouble to listen to some of that Chiddingfold concert, you'll see a different Clapton: member of a really top-notch band cranking out great music, not for money or fame, but just for the joy of playing together.
Let's put that on the balance sheet when we are listing all the ways in which the latter-day Clapton sucks, please.

rostasi 12-28-2021 05:23 PM

My problem with any of this Clapton business is that it all comes from an angle of
some kind of worship of technical prowess when the majority of it sounds like revved
and hyped-up bar-band music full of all of the sound and fury cliches not only just
associated with it, but actually encouraged by his worshippers.
The gawd-awful pinched, nasal sax sound ... those chord-banging attempts of repetitious energy ...
the rather uninspired drumming/rhythm overall ... semi-unconscious chord changes ...
pretend "soul" vocals ... every kind of patterned backing and cliched soloing ...
all of this in disregard to actual sound and more in line with him/them being showmanship entertainers.
There's room for this in some people's lives, but I couldn't see any reason to look forward to hearing or seeing this.

John Peel:

Quote:

"Call that music?" is the kind of thing people say to me from time to time. I mean, I do, because music is something which ought to take you to places you've not been before, so things like Eric Clapton are not music really in a sense, because what makes his stuff so attractive to people, or Cliff Richard, is the fact that they take you where you've been before, and it's kind of reassuring, and you feel quite safe there, I suppose, but it's not for me."
Quote:

"I mean, who wants to listen to Eric Clapton? He can really play, but that's boring beyond measure.
Quote:

"At number 5, "Unplugged" - Eric Clapton - if only..."

Trollheart 12-28-2021 07:50 PM

"At number 5, Eric Clapton with his new album Unvaxxed"....

Psy-Fi 12-29-2021 09:44 AM

The only time I listen to Eric Clapton is when I'm in the mood to hear some Cream or Blind Faith. His work with John Mayall and The Yardbirds was good but I've never cared much for either one. Everything he did after Blind Faith just bores me.

Lisnaholic 12-29-2021 10:57 AM

Yes, the same: I don't search out Clapton's music as a rule, but if I did it would be the old stuff.
Nonetheless, I'm a big fan of the musical style that rostasi and John Peel take against: pub/jam band rock. To me it's a good combination: a safe, solid beat and wandering instrumental stuff on top. If it has a predictable element about it, it is also capable of endless minor variations that trick the musically ignorant, like me, into thinking they are hearing something new each time.

rostasi 12-29-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 2195442)
... safe ... predictable element about it ...

Those are the nadirs for me.

Trollheart 12-29-2021 11:45 AM

Funny thing about "Layla" is that personally I consider the best part of it to be the piano outro. Not really interested in the "shorter" version.

Lisnaholic 12-29-2021 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rostasi (Post 2195443)
Those are the nadirs for me.

Of course too much safety and predictability is disastrous, so I like a balance; a mild challenge, a bit of discordance. I think Faust or SPK are about my limits of strange so far.

Plankton 12-30-2021 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 2195384)
Thanks! I didn't recognise her until she took out her false teeth and started whistling Purple Haze.

Ooops, that was Dylans grandma.

@1:08


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBVGa5D6GDY

Lisnaholic 12-30-2021 06:46 AM

Wow! Your brain must have quite a retrieval system to have tracked down that off-hand remark! I think I enjoyed the shambolic intro more than the song itself.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...zVdCw&usqp=CAU

Meanwhile, Eric's grandma Rose was often rumoured to be at those impromtu local concerts, so that's another non-suck item to put on EC's balance sheet, imo; guy who takes his grandma to a rock concert.

Plankton 12-30-2021 07:49 AM

The first time I heard it, it made me laugh so it stuck. Kinda.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 AM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.