R.E.M. - Opinions - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #101 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,590
Default

And here's some goodness from their very first release, featuring lyrics so opaque (as they always were at this point in their career) that you'd be pretty hard pressed to consider them corny.

Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #102 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,752
Default

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...WJlucQ&cad=rja

I always liked Don't go back to Rockville. Simple but very soothing to listen to.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #103 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,858
Default

Wolves Lower is such a great song. And it's from Chronic Town, which is probably one of the most perfect EPs out there.

I just thought of sharing their original version of "Radio Free Europe" as well, released as a single before Chronic Town. This is as indie as indie gets, in my opinion.

Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #104 (permalink)
Chocolate Homunculus
 
Phantom Limb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,293
Default

Hahaha, I should also mention that I don't like their singer or the general vibe of the music they play either. There's pretty much no help for me when it comes to R.E.M., unless they have stuff that's more badass...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Hip Hop generally bores me now I just listen to stuff I know will be slightly interesting.

Last.Fm

My Bomb Music Shit
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #105 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearmauledme View Post
Hahaha, I should also mention that I don't like their singer or the general vibe of the music they play either. There's pretty much no help for me when it comes to R.E.M., unless they have stuff that's more badass...
Badass? Like you're expecting a secret grindcore album in their back catalogue? Nope, just southern fried post-punk with a strong Velvet Underground influence on their earlier albums.

This is as hard as they rock:

Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #106 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Badass? Like you're expecting a secret grindcore album in their back catalogue? Nope, just southern fried post-punk with a strong Velvet Underground influence on their earlier albums.

This is as hard as they rock:

Funny that you picked that video. It's mine! I made that slideshow a few years ago and then randomly put it up on Youtube

This song just proves that Bill Berry is a badass drummer. He left the band in 1997 though

White Tornado
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #107 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Funny that you picked that video. It's mine! I made that slideshow a few years ago and then randomly put it up on Youtube


Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
This song just proves that Bill Berry is a badass drummer. He left the band in 1997 though

White Tornado
...
I love that song. I'm a huge fan of Dead Letter Office in general.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #108 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,858
Default

If I discovered a grindcore album in REM's catalogue, I would probably die of laughter. Like if they went from Fables of the Reconstruction to that, or something. Also, speaking of Fables, I love how it sounds so Southern and yet it was recorded in London and produced by Joe Boyd. For example, "Green Grow the Rushes":

Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #109 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
If I discovered a grindcore album in REM's catalogue, I would probably die of laughter. Like if they went from Fables of the Reconstruction to that, or something. Also, speaking of Fables, I love how it sounds so Southern and yet it was recorded in London and produced by Joe Boyd. For example, "Green Grow the Rushes":

Damn, I love that album but I haven't listened to it in forever. It's been so long that, not only do I not have an mp3 version of it, I've never had it on CD either. My last copy was, I think, a cassette dub that hasn't been in my possession since some time in the late 80s.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #110 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,858
Default

The only copy I have of Fables is an LP. My mother's.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2023 Advameg, Inc.