Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Introductions
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 AM   #6561 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
well in the interest of putting it all out there, and so that my sentences aren't confusing I shall bear my soul...

The reason I lead to things this way is because of the first lessons of internet forums; never say what you know your opponent is talking about before he does. This way he can't outright deny it.

I get the idea that "hey Adidasss learned English later than everyone else, isn't that a riot" but its not logical. The assumption that anyone knows a language better than others because its primary is as nonsensical as it is backward. I don't know what you think you can teach children, but I'd imagine that an adult, or even a teenager would have a better grasp of grammatical structure than would, say an 8 year old.

They may learn the language better, but it means little to nothing.

Example: I live with an Indian gentleman who grew up there, and English was his primary language. He told me recently that he attempted to teach english abroad when he lived in Singapore. He could tell them what wasn't correct, but he couldn't tell them why.

Grammar is more easily learned when you cross languages. I learned more about English studying German than I did as an English major in college.

The reason I flip out about it [it being the idea that its funny] is because there is a perceived idea that I'm some arrogant son-of-a-bitch who tries to pretend he's better than everyone else cause he's "smart" and its not the case.

Its apparently conventional wisdom because when someone like this happens everyone makes a huge point about it with lines like "did Marjin just explain something to Big3? wonders never cease" or "Adidasss ppwnz big3 roflmao!!!1!!."

I don't recall a time when I've ever been as arrogant as some of the people on here in regards to intellectualism, especially some of the people I've "Clashed" with in my time here. In all honesty I think I get a bum rap and it pisses me off to no end to be perfectly honest. it seems to me that a large populace on the boards has a terrible idea of me in their heads. I spend a lot of time here, and I try and contribute as much as I can but I feel its maligned by some ridiculous stereotype.

And not to pull this card, but recently the old ladies been in the hospital (so I can't sue her computer) and the keyboard I use, to a computer from 02 has been so beat up that I use my function keys (F12 and the like) to replace keys I'm missing. Excuse the typos, I'll get a new keyboard when my cars back on the road and I can pay my god damned college loans.
If that actually did piss you off then I have no idea why as it was seriously intended as a fairly tongue in cheek passing comment to something I didn't think was all that serious in the first place. It was just a bit of banter. But for the sake of fair play if it did piss you off then fair enough, I just hope you can look back at the last few pages and see if for what it is.

You may get a bit of a bad rap on here at times, as you say, but I dont know really. Yes, I've been around a few months now so I do understand what you mean but maybe just to a certain extent. Up to now I have had a bit of a laugh at certain things you post here and yes, alot of it is quite egotistical but when you're just joking and messing around that doesnt mean anything, does it? Maybe I don't quite get you yet. Or at least thats what I am thinking now anyway. To be honest I am just having a hard time convicing myself that you aren't being sarcastic or something this time.

One thing is for sure though. Hopefully you can see it as banter now but I didnt claim adidasss "schooled" you on anything because you were arrogant. He could have been referring to any post and any member of the board, it just happened to be you. Also, just because he has taught himself Englsh doesnt mean that he isn't end up having a better grasp of the language than you or I or anyone else for that matter but I didn't realise I was gonna have to bring logic and reason into this and feel the need to use several paragraphs to explain the use of a single passing sentence.

Bottom line is if you are right and at times you do get a bad rap here and I just haven't noticed then thats one thing but don't this one personally as thats not how it was intended.
__________________

Last.FM | Blank Slate | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #6562 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
What sucks here in Pittsburgh is that theres about 1 maybe 2 of them. People will be raving about it and ask me "Hey you ever been to DD?" **** yes, where I come from there on every block!

(And I was referring to where the Celtics play. Now its the DD Center.)
i have one two blocks away from me, one five or six blocks away, and one about two miles away. but hey, i don't live in Pittsburgh. i seem to remember Krispy Kreme staging a failed coup to take over the city a few years ago. maybe that had something to do with it?

i love DnD but the novelty wears off really quickly since i don't drink coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
And not to pull this card, but recently the old ladies been in the hospital (so I can't sue her computer) and the keyboard I use, to a computer from 02 has been so beat up that I use my function keys (F12 and the like) to replace keys I'm missing. Excuse the typos, I'll get a new keyboard when my cars back on the road and I can pay my god damned college loans.
call me crazy but i doubt that's going to help you much.
__________________
first.am

Last edited by lucifer_sam; 04-04-2009 at 08:51 AM.
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #6563 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

whatever their business model is, its working. They've driven out KK and Starbucks up here. Starbucks are closing, and they keep opening new DD's.

I honestly think its because they let the coffee do the talking and not some stupid customer service. The service grates but the coffee remains the same.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #6564 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
whatever their business model is, its working. They've driven out KK and Starbucks up here. Starbucks are closing, and they keep opening new DD's.

I honestly think its because they let the coffee do the talking and not some stupid customer service. The service grates but the coffee remains the same.
buts Starbucks coffee owns DD coffee
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #6565 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

if you mean "uses three times the caffeine" then yes. Otherwise, hell no.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #6566 (permalink)
Cardboard Box Realtor
 
LoathsomePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hobb's End
Posts: 7,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
buts Starbucks coffee pwns DD coffee. By a long shot.
Indeed it does, but you can't really get decent donuts at Starbucks, but I will admit they make a mean Americano.

JJ Beans FTW, the guys here from Vancouver Canada know what I'm talkin' about.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #6567 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

we have Canadians here?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #6568 (permalink)
333
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 956
Default

If you guys are speaking of coffee, I'd have to stick with the good 'ol homemade Vietnamese slow-drip espressos. I highly recommend it. **** a starbucks.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #6569 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Is this the coffee thread now?
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #6570 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Is this the coffee thread now?
for a little while, at least.
(starbucks rules)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobodys_Nerfect View Post
Indeed it does, but you can't really get decent donuts at Starbucks, but I will admit they make a mean Americano.

JJ Beans FTW, the guys here from Vancouver Canada know what I'm talkin' about.
Seattle's Best FTB
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.