Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Introductions
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 59
Default Basic Newbie

Like all of you a music geek/freak here, pretty much love it all, and have it all. But my pet is them old primitive blues from the 20's and 30's.

So many of those old dudes only recorded a record or a few. When ya own 12 big books on the music and they aren't mentioned, that is obscure.

Cali guy, married with children, play some lap slide and rack harmonica.

Last edited by Avante; 11-10-2021 at 03:59 AM.
Avante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
midnite roles around
 
Tristan_Geoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,020
Default

Do u like Blind Willie Johnson?
__________________
YW Fam: All MB Music Projects Under One Roof

Emo/Pop Punk Journal

Techno Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I own the mail
Tristan_Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,999
Default

How about Barrelhouse Chuck?
SGR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Geoff View Post
Do u like Blind Willie Johnson?
You cannot talk blues without Blind Willie Johnson, I know Gospel but he is playing blues guitar. His....John the Revelator and Soul of a Man and Dark was the Night Cold Was The Ground bonafide classics.

Clapton has said that Johnson was the greatest slide guitarist, if he isn't he is in the running.
Avante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR View Post
How about Barrelhouse Chuck?
Died way too young, great Chicago piano man, surprised he was out of Ohio, would have thought New Orleans.
Avante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 59
Default

Got into that old stuff reading the linear notes for the rockers. Bob Dylan into Blind Willie McTell, who? The Stones, Elmore James, who? Led Zepplien covering Memphis Minnie...who? So I took some time and found out.
Avante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
midnite roles around
 
Tristan_Geoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avante View Post
Got into that old stuff reading the linear notes for the rockers. Bob Dylan into Blind Willie McTell, who? The Stones, Elmore James, who? Led Zepplien covering Memphis Minnie...who? So I took some time and found out.
I have this cool nonfiction book abt blues guitarists written as an interview with the Blues Brothers lol
__________________
YW Fam: All MB Music Projects Under One Roof

Emo/Pop Punk Journal

Techno Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I own the mail
Tristan_Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 1,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avante View Post
Got into that old stuff reading the linear notes for the rockers. Bob Dylan into Blind Willie McTell, who? The Stones, Elmore James, who? Led Zepplien covering Memphis Minnie...who? So I took some time and found out.
I got into electric blues after listening the British groups of the mid-sixties (Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, etc). Have to admit I don't have your knowledge of the early blues artists (limited to Son House, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Memphis Minnie, a few others). Anyway, hope to hear some good acoustic blues.

I noticed you missed Robert Johnson. How do you rate him?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Geoff View Post
I have this cool nonfiction book abt blues guitarists written as an interview with the Blues Brothers lol

There it is right thre the books, gotta read the books. I own about 30ish books on music, about half talking blues. Pretty much got it covered.
Avante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
I got into electric blues after listening the British groups of the mid-sixties (Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, etc). Have to admit I don't have your knowledge of the early blues artists (limited to Son House, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Memphis Minnie, a few others). Anyway, hope to hear some good acoustic blues.

I noticed you missed Robert Johnson. How do you rate him?
Your story like mine, ya came to them blues listening to white rockers.

Robert Johnson would had to have been made up if he hadn't been real. There it is, that wandering cat playing his music from town to town, the wimmen, the whiskey, them crossroads (stold from fellow Delta player Tommy Johnson) those amazing hands and fingers.

He is without question DA MAN when it comes to prewar blues, His 1936 Texas recordings simply on a whole other level, a must have, without them ya don't know them blues.

Broke my heart finding out a second take of Traveling Risverside Blues was discovered and I did't have it, yep...weep n' moan, but......found on on that Sorcose blues tribute CD of his music.

As we know....Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Johnny Winter, The Stones, Keb Mo, Led Zeppelin, etc have all covered Robert's stuff, who can blame them?

John Hammond


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6...el=ZycopolisTV

Ha....a cover of a cover, son belonging to Son House

Last edited by Avante; 11-10-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Avante is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.