Finally saying hello - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Introductions
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2023, 04:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Synthgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Cheeseland USA
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
That is incredible. You have been here longer than I have - one/four years (since I joined in 2008 but then left in a huff and didn't come back till 2011, so really I only count my time here from 2011 on) - and yet haven't posted. Are you chronically shy, or just afraid we'd eat you? Don't worry; we're all relatively well fed here. Watch out for Batty though.

Anyway, welcome. In general, you will/should find we're friendly and welcoming (we like to put new (!) people at their ease before we wheel out the pot) and ready to talk. There is a lot of trash talking that goes on, but usually no malice intended, so as long as you don't have a thin skin like I did in 2008 you'll be cool.

I'm also a prog head and if you're into that you should take a minute to check out my ongoing thread in the journals section.

I think you must now hold the record for the longest ever lurk! Congrats!
Thanks! I never posted until now for a few reasons; one was shyness for sure. I have always been one to avoid confrontation, and I always was a bit afraid of incurring someone's wrath when I said that I don't really care for Radiohead. I'm more mature now, and way less self-conscious about musical taste and opinions. And I'll absolutely check it out! I've been on a major prog kick lately.

Quote:
Hello Hello Hello!
Hello!

Quote:
You and your taste in music sound amazing! Welcome to the conversation!
Thank you! Glad to be here!
Synthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Hi NRG fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 135
Default

Welcome!! I noticed you had Italo Disco in with several unrelated genres hahaha!! What are some favorite Italo songs of yours? :P
gandhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 2,642
Default

WHAT!!!!? You don't like Radiohead? For shame


Welcome to the madhouse anyway
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,971
Default

I'm not a Radiohead fan either. Difference is, I don't care. Anyone who disses on my music taste can suck it.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
innerspaceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Organized Mind
Posts: 2,044
Default

Welcome Alexandria! We're so glad you finally decided to greet us! You may have set a new record for the forum!

I'm wild about ambient music so it's always a real treat to see fellow members enthusiastic about the genre. The ambient portion of my digital library comprises over 60,000 recordings and the majority of my vinyl collection are ambient, proto-ambient early synth, and experimental electronic LPs.

I blog actively and have a member journal here mirroring my WordPress blog, which I've just recently published as a book. Feel free to check out my features.

We look forward to your content. Happy new year!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
You are quite simply one of the most unique individuals I've ever met in my 680+ months living on this orb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
I'm sorry, is this Can?
 
Comus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthgirl View Post
I don't really care for Radiohead.
True OGs will remember my Radiohead sucks, and so does your taste in music shirt that was my avatar for awhile.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Synthgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Cheeseland USA
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
Welcome Alexandria! We're so glad you finally decided to greet us! You may have set a new record for the forum!

I'm wild about ambient music so it's always a real treat to see fellow members enthusiastic about the genre. The ambient portion of my digital library comprises over 60,000 recordings and the majority of my vinyl collection are ambient, proto-ambient early synth, and experimental electronic LPs.

I blog actively and have a member journal here mirroring my WordPress blog, which I've just recently published as a book. Feel free to check out my features.

We look forward to your content. Happy new year!
Thank you for the welcome! It looks like our tastes in ambient and electronic stuff overlap a lot, as a young kid my uncle was a big Hearts of Space listener and I think growing up hanging out with him primed my ears to get into ambient, new age and electronic music in general. And dang, what a collection! Is that all locally stored or on a streaming service?

Quote:
True OGs will remember my Radiohead sucks, and so does your taste in music shirt that was my avatar for awhile.
How could I forget? I remember feeling very vindicated that there was someone else out there who shared my distaste for them, haha. Though it was less a super intense dislike of their music for me and more fear of their fans raking me over the coals for saying that they weren't that great.

Wasn't it also you who made that fake album art where it was Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, Animal Collective and MGMT mashed up? That thread was absolutely hilarious.
Synthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
innerspaceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Organized Mind
Posts: 2,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthgirl View Post
Thank you for the welcome! It looks like our tastes in ambient and electronic stuff overlap a lot, as a young kid my uncle was a big Hearts of Space listener and I think growing up hanging out with him primed my ears to get into ambient, new age and electronic music in general.
Smashing! Hearts of Space holds a very special place in my heart. I've archived all 40 years of their continuing transmissions, (1,333 to date), and I have a special vinyl pressing of their first-ever broadcast.

As such, it was an absolute honor for me to directly influence a HOS broadcast in 2022. I had been contacted by a Seattle-based ambient composer who releases titles under the name Terminus Void. He praised my blog and asked if he could send me his debut release. I enjoyed it thoroughly and encouraged the composer to send his album to HOS host Stephen Hill. He followed my suggestion and was featured on PGM No. 1314, Stellar Quest! And as a direct result of that transmission, he received offers from two prestigious major record labels to produce and distribute his next album. We couldn't have been more pleased to have exposure to a global audience of discerning space music listeners! I made sure to include my reviews of his first two albums in my book to engage future listeners as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthgirl View Post
And dang, what a collection! Is that all locally stored or on a streaming service?
Thank you! I've never used a streaming service. Every few years I try searching for content from my archive on commercial streaming networks and have been universally disappointed with the results. Thankfully I enjoy hundreds of thousands of lossless archival recordings from my archive hosted on my own personal media server accessible from any web-enabled device commercial-free. I recently spent 80 hours on a 20TB expansion of my library. I understand that there are collectors with substantially larger collections but I am quite discerning about what enters my archive and I'm pleased with what I've built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthgirl View Post
Wasn't it also you who made that fake album art where it was Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, Animal Collective and MGMT mashed up? That thread was absolutely hilarious.
I am a passionate archivist of mash-ups, copyleftism, plunderphonics, sampledelia, the cut-up technique, and Dada/Surrealism in all forms of the arts, but particularly in regard to sound art. I'm especially interested in pioneering works from artists and authors like William S Burroughs, Marcel Duchamp, Dickie Goodman & Bill Buchanan, John Oswald, and the turntablists who followed transforming and refining mashup culture to an act of pure art. The Kopyright Liberation Front, Avalanches, and other masters of plunderphonia are well-represented in my physical and digital libraries with exhaustive catalogs of their work. Feel free to recommend any of your favorite mash-ups if the mood strikes you!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
You are quite simply one of the most unique individuals I've ever met in my 680+ months living on this orb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
I'm sorry, is this Can?
 
Comus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthgirl View Post
Wasn't it also you who made that fake album art where it was Radiohead, Neutral Milk Hotel, Animal Collective and MGMT mashed up? That thread was absolutely hilarious.
Holy **** I had forgotten about that:

https://www.musicbanter.com/album-re...ar-2009-a.html

For clarification I found the image, but made up the album review.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm

Last edited by Comus; 01-03-2023 at 01:00 AM.
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Synthgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Cheeseland USA
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comus View Post
Holy **** I had forgotten about that:

For clarification I found the image, but made up the album review.
Haha, I gotcha. The review is absolutely brilliant, feels like a hilarious time capsule of the era where indie hipsterdom was at its peak.

I remember a lot of classic MB threads. I was there (in spirit) for RockGuitar101, Kobe Kai, The Virgin, I always got some nice chuckles out of those threads even if I didn't participate in them.
Synthgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.