|07-29-2013, 12:41 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jan 2009
Coolest Jazz Song Ever
Place your nomination on this thread.
Song Title: Goodbye Porkpie Hat
Artist: Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Why It's So Cool:
1. It was written by Charles Mingus, the coolest bass player in the history of jazz.
2. The subject of the song is Lester "Prez" Young the coolest pre-bop saxophonist ever.
3. The song is played and sung by Rahsaan Roland Kirk, a bop era saxophonist, with a cool African name, who always wore shades and played two saxophones at once using a homemade double-sax thingamajig.
Rahsann Roland Kirk: Two saxes for the price of one
4. The title of the song has "pork pie hat" in it; the universal choice of headwear by cool hipsters every since the dawn of the Renaissance.
5. Rahsaan's sleepy vocal sounds like he just popped a hit of grade 1, Black Tar heroin...and heroin usage is like a religious ritual in the bop era world of jazz.
There are two types of music: the first type is the blues and the second type is all the other stuff.
Townes Van Zandt
Last edited by Gavin B.; 07-29-2013 at 07:14 PM.
|07-29-2013, 10:53 PM||#2 (permalink)|
I sleep in your hat
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Vic. Aus.
Am I limited to one?
Wes Montgomery - D Natural Blues. It's Wes, need I say more?
Tom Waits - Frank's Wild Years. I'm a sucker for good Hammond.
Dave Brubeck - Take Five. Cooooool as.
|09-22-2013, 06:27 PM||#4 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southeast U.S.
^ Thought we were doing "songs"...
I love the classic ballads and torch songs. Here's one by the great Billy Strayhorn.
Bec's Poetry Corner
|09-22-2013, 08:44 PM||#5 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jun 2013
Antonio Carlos Jobim- Um Rancho nas Nuvens - YouTube
One of the greatest musical thinkers and composers of our time.
|11-06-2013, 02:52 PM||#6 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jan 2011
I'm really more a fan of Hot Jazz.
We made love on the living room floor
With the noise in the background of a televised war
And in the deafening pleasure
I thought I heard someone say
If we walk away, they'll walk away