Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default Jail stories?

First off, let me say that I don't expect everyone who's spent time behind bars to relate their stories here. Many people will want, for various reasons, to keep such information private and that's of course their prerogative. But if anyone has any stories about having been to jail, I'd love to hear them.

I'm expecting the vast majority (if any) to come from the US side of things, as over here you can't really go to jail unless there's a longish trial, and usually only for pretty major offences, but I know (I think I know anyway) that with all the little county jails and so on over there it can sometimes happen that you might be thrown in jail to cool off after a rowdy night, or while awaiting a lawyer to get you out. I could of course be watching far too much TV.

But if anyone has spent time in poky and wants to spill on what it was like, I'll throw this thread up as the place to do it. No judgements of course, and you can tell as much or as little as you want. If you'd prefer not to say where, or why you were jailed that's cool too. I'm just wondering what it was like. I have no intention of ever spending time in jail myself, but I wonder if the stories I hear are true? Here, it's said that jail is generally more than a little cushy, that some people in winter actively seek out cell time if they're homeless etc, and also that a spell in jail can lead to recruitment into criminal gangs. So is it all like "Prison Break"?

No seriously, I would be interested in hearing stories, if anyone wants to share.
And of course you knew I was going to do this...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
DO LIKE YOU.
 
P A N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default

i live in canada. around the time of my 18th birthday, the laws concerning pot were all up in the air. some people thought it was totally legal. they were wrong of course. i didn't end up in jail because i thought it was legal. i ended up there because i got caught doing what lots of high school kids do, which is smoking weed on lunch break.

a month after my 18th birthday i was with two dudes who were a year younger than me puffin' away when our principal found us. to make an example of us he called the police. i can't remember much of what was said during our conversation with the police, but i knew there was going to be some court.

i had to tell my mom this of course. i was only living with her, and i was terrified, because at that point i didn't know how awesome my mom is. it was four days of increasing irritability and agitation coming from me before she asked me what was wrong. i knew i had to tell her so i sat her down and told her that i smoke pot and i got caught doing it at school and i might have to go to jail. i thought she was going to kick me out of the house. instead, she told me i should talk to my dad about it and that i would probably gain some insight into pot culture if i smoked some with him.

so anyway, the judge decided that she too wanted to make an example out of us and put us in jail. because of age, i was put in an adult, maximum security jail (jail is different from prison. jail is under two years, prison is more, and usually much bigger) while the other two dudes were put in juvenile centers with baseball diamonds, soccer fields, guitars and they got to wear their own clothes and smoke cigarettes. i was in a concrete "range" which had 6 cells with a bunk bed in each, bars everywhere, a communal tv constantly tuned to the rap channel due to a high percentage of wannabe thugs with white skin, a pay phone, about 8 really old western novels, and a bolted-to-the-floor picnic table made of steel which could only seat 8 people in a range which housed 12. there were 8 ranges in this facility.

we got about 20 minutes a day to go "outside". this was commonly referred to as "yard time." the yard was a concrete pad sized at about 50x50 feet. it had 25 foot walls around it and razor wire all around the top. since then they've put a net over top the whole thing to curb importing and exporting of cash and goods. i never figured out how they would time deliveries this way because we never knew when we were going to get yard time, and i figured it was best not to ask those types of questions. anyway, yard time was really weird. sometimes two ranges would get to join forces and there would be 24 men - all with a severe need to get laid - walking furiously in a circle. they were all bummed out when the guards said it was over, too.

i only got sentenced to a week, so i wasn't too concerned with getting through it or anything like that. it was almost more like a really weird excursion. i found it all very interesting and i was also safe. i knew two guys that were on my range when i got there. they were both skateboarders and i used to be one... where i lived then all the skaters knew each other. luckily, they were aggressive people who knew how to not get f*cked with. they both liked me and assured me i had nothing to worry about.

boredom is the killer in jail. people just don't know what to do with themselves and i think this is the reason people get in fights. my saving grace for this was this dude named Cave Man. he was the first person i noticed after my brief but warm welcome from the skaters. i noticed him because he was enormous, had a 2 foot beard and even longer hair of nearly the same texture as his beard (wildly frizzy), and half his face was blackened as though it had been beaten with a steel pipe. after watching him for a bit he seemed pretty gentle and sociable enough so at dinner i asked him what happened to his face. truth be told i was terrified of what might happen if i asked, but i figured if i'm going to go jail, getting my ass kicked by a dude aptly titled Cave Man would be good story material. turned out he really did get beaten with a steal pipe, and it had happened by a guy being charged with murder (i actually know that guy too. he's the brother of a guy who i've played some music with and they both grew up in the same area of the city as me... and he really was a murderer). apparently on the way out to yard, the murderer's range was coming back in, and somewhere in the halls he's located a pipe 2 inches in diameter and 1.5 feet long. i don't know what Cave Man did to him to deserve what he got, but it may very well have been less than what the murderer was intending.

anyway, Cave Man was very nice. he was the chillest dude on the range and i made a point of spending as much time with him as i could as it passed quicker than if i had to pay attention to anything else... or nothing else. he liked my insatiable curiosity and i liked his stories. he was an older guy. maybe 45 or 50. hung out with bikers and ran errands for them. he was a truck driver so he could haul guns and drugs. he showed me the newspaper clipping of when they busted him. there was a picture of crates with some serious-looking guns, ammo-boxes, and over 100 pounds of weed. he was real proud of that picture. he said that what i saw there was nothing compared to what he'd done in the past, and generations of his lineage would be taken care of due to just the right amount of extra space in the trailers of all those rigs over the years.

so that's the gist of it. i have a story about another guy who was absolutely insane and i will forever remember his rabid eyes, but i'll save that one for another time. i also can't remember all the details so i have to think about it.

suffice it to say, i'm glad i went to jail. it wasn't the longest week of my life or anything terribly dreadful, but it was just enough time to instill in me a sense that i don't want to go back.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

I have a sister in prison and she's actually getting a degree in there. We visit her regularly, and she says it's pretty much like college.
__________________
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i live in canada. around the time of my 18th birthday, the laws concerning pot were all up in the air. some people thought it was totally legal. they were wrong of course. i didn't end up in jail because i thought it was legal. i ended up there because i got caught doing what lots of high school kids do, which is smoking weed on lunch break.

a month after my 18th birthday i was with two dudes who were a year younger than me puffin' away when our principal found us. to make an example of us he called the police. i can't remember much of what was said during our conversation with the police, but i knew there was going to be some court.

i had to tell my mom this of course. i was only living with her, and i was terrified, because at that point i didn't know how awesome my mom is. it was four days of increasing irritability and agitation coming from me before she asked me what was wrong. i knew i had to tell her so i sat her down and told her that i smoke pot and i got caught doing it at school and i might have to go to jail. i thought she was going to kick me out of the house. instead, she told me i should talk to my dad about it and that i would probably gain some insight into pot culture if i smoked some with him.

so anyway, the judge decided that she too wanted to make an example out of us and put us in jail. because of age, i was put in an adult, maximum security jail (jail is different from prison. jail is under two years, prison is more, and usually much bigger) while the other two dudes were put in juvenile centers with baseball diamonds, soccer fields, guitars and they got to wear their own clothes and smoke cigarettes. i was in a concrete "range" which had 6 cells with a bunk bed in each, bars everywhere, a communal tv constantly tuned to the rap channel due to a high percentage of wannabe thugs with white skin, a pay phone, about 8 really old western novels, and a bolted-to-the-floor picnic table made of steel which could only seat 8 people in a range which housed 12. there were 8 ranges in this facility.

we got about 20 minutes a day to go "outside". this was commonly referred to as "yard time." the yard was a concrete pad sized at about 50x50 feet. it had 25 foot walls around it and razor wire all around the top. since then they've put a net over top the whole thing to curb importing and exporting of cash and goods. i never figured out how they would time deliveries this way because we never knew when we were going to get yard time, and i figured it was best not to ask those types of questions. anyway, yard time was really weird. sometimes two ranges would get to join forces and there would be 24 men - all with a severe need to get laid - walking furiously in a circle. they were all bummed out when the guards said it was over, too.

i only got sentenced to a week, so i wasn't too concerned with getting through it or anything like that. it was almost more like a really weird excursion. i found it all very interesting and i was also safe. i knew two guys that were on my range when i got there. they were both skateboarders and i used to be one... where i lived then all the skaters knew each other. luckily, they were aggressive people who knew how to not get f*cked with. they both liked me and assured me i had nothing to worry about.

boredom is the killer in jail. people just don't know what to do with themselves and i think this is the reason people get in fights. my saving grace for this was this dude named Cave Man. he was the first person i noticed after my brief but warm welcome from the skaters. i noticed him because he was enormous, had a 2 foot beard and even longer hair of nearly the same texture as his beard (wildly frizzy), and half his face was blackened as though it had been beaten with a steel pipe. after watching him for a bit he seemed pretty gentle and sociable enough so at dinner i asked him what happened to his face. truth be told i was terrified of what might happen if i asked, but i figured if i'm going to go jail, getting my ass kicked by a dude aptly titled Cave Man would be good story material. turned out he really did get beaten with a steal pipe, and it had happened by a guy being charged with murder (i actually know that guy too. he's the brother of a guy who i've played some music with and they both grew up in the same area of the city as me... and he really was a murderer). apparently on the way out to yard, the murderer's range was coming back in, and somewhere in the halls he's located a pipe 2 inches in diameter and 1.5 feet long. i don't know what Cave Man did to him to deserve what he got, but it may very well have been less than what the murderer was intending.

anyway, Cave Man was very nice. he was the chillest dude on the range and i made a point of spending as much time with him as i could as it passed quicker than if i had to pay attention to anything else... or nothing else. he liked my insatiable curiosity and i liked his stories. he was an older guy. maybe 45 or 50. hung out with bikers and ran errands for them. he was a truck driver so he could haul guns and drugs. he showed me the newspaper clipping of when they busted him. there was a picture of crates with some serious-looking guns, ammo-boxes, and over 100 pounds of weed. he was real proud of that picture. he said that what i saw there was nothing compared to what he'd done in the past, and generations of his lineage would be taken care of due to just the right amount of extra space in the trailers of all those rigs over the years.

so that's the gist of it. i have a story about another guy who was absolutely insane and i will forever remember his rabid eyes, but i'll save that one for another time. i also can't remember all the details so i have to think about it.

suffice it to say, i'm glad i went to jail. it wasn't the longest week of my life or anything terribly dreadful, but it was just enough time to instill in me a sense that i don't want to go back.
I still can't get over that you went to a maximum security jail for smoking weed. That's fecking ridiculous! Over here you would only get community service or a diversion. Where are you living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I have a sister in prison and she's actually getting a degree in there. We visit her regularly, and she says it's pretty much like college.
May I ask why she's in jail? That's great that she is getting a degree, what is it in? What is life like for her in there?

This is a good thread Trollheart, I find prison experiences fascinating. I know I wouldn't last a day in one being a tiny little girly girl.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
I sleep in your hat
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Vic. Aus.
Posts: 1,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I still can't get over that you went to a maximum security jail for smoking weed. That's fecking ridiculous! Over here you would only get community service or a diversion. Where are you living?
Yeah that's crazy. Here they would probably just take your joint and send you on your way. If you had any quantity it might be different but smoking a joint they would hardly bother.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i live in canada. around the time of my 18th birthday, the laws concerning pot were all up in the air. some people thought it was totally legal. they were wrong of course. i didn't end up in jail because i thought it was legal. i ended up there because i got caught doing what lots of high school kids do, which is smoking weed on lunch break.

a month after my 18th birthday i was with two dudes who were a year younger than me puffin' away when our principal found us. to make an example of us he called the police. i can't remember much of what was said during our conversation with the police, but i knew there was going to be some court.

i had to tell my mom this of course. i was only living with her, and i was terrified, because at that point i didn't know how awesome my mom is. it was four days of increasing irritability and agitation coming from me before she asked me what was wrong. i knew i had to tell her so i sat her down and told her that i smoke pot and i got caught doing it at school and i might have to go to jail. i thought she was going to kick me out of the house. instead, she told me i should talk to my dad about it and that i would probably gain some insight into pot culture if i smoked some with him.

so anyway, the judge decided that she too wanted to make an example out of us and put us in jail. because of age, i was put in an adult, maximum security jail (jail is different from prison. jail is under two years, prison is more, and usually much bigger) while the other two dudes were put in juvenile centers with baseball diamonds, soccer fields, guitars and they got to wear their own clothes and smoke cigarettes. i was in a concrete "range" which had 6 cells with a bunk bed in each, bars everywhere, a communal tv constantly tuned to the rap channel due to a high percentage of wannabe thugs with white skin, a pay phone, about 8 really old western novels, and a bolted-to-the-floor picnic table made of steel which could only seat 8 people in a range which housed 12. there were 8 ranges in this facility.

we got about 20 minutes a day to go "outside". this was commonly referred to as "yard time." the yard was a concrete pad sized at about 50x50 feet. it had 25 foot walls around it and razor wire all around the top. since then they've put a net over top the whole thing to curb importing and exporting of cash and goods. i never figured out how they would time deliveries this way because we never knew when we were going to get yard time, and i figured it was best not to ask those types of questions. anyway, yard time was really weird. sometimes two ranges would get to join forces and there would be 24 men - all with a severe need to get laid - walking furiously in a circle. they were all bummed out when the guards said it was over, too.

i only got sentenced to a week, so i wasn't too concerned with getting through it or anything like that. it was almost more like a really weird excursion. i found it all very interesting and i was also safe. i knew two guys that were on my range when i got there. they were both skateboarders and i used to be one... where i lived then all the skaters knew each other. luckily, they were aggressive people who knew how to not get f*cked with. they both liked me and assured me i had nothing to worry about.

boredom is the killer in jail. people just don't know what to do with themselves and i think this is the reason people get in fights. my saving grace for this was this dude named Cave Man. he was the first person i noticed after my brief but warm welcome from the skaters. i noticed him because he was enormous, had a 2 foot beard and even longer hair of nearly the same texture as his beard (wildly frizzy), and half his face was blackened as though it had been beaten with a steel pipe. after watching him for a bit he seemed pretty gentle and sociable enough so at dinner i asked him what happened to his face. truth be told i was terrified of what might happen if i asked, but i figured if i'm going to go jail, getting my ass kicked by a dude aptly titled Cave Man would be good story material. turned out he really did get beaten with a steal pipe, and it had happened by a guy being charged with murder (i actually know that guy too. he's the brother of a guy who i've played some music with and they both grew up in the same area of the city as me... and he really was a murderer). apparently on the way out to yard, the murderer's range was coming back in, and somewhere in the halls he's located a pipe 2 inches in diameter and 1.5 feet long. i don't know what Cave Man did to him to deserve what he got, but it may very well have been less than what the murderer was intending.

anyway, Cave Man was very nice. he was the chillest dude on the range and i made a point of spending as much time with him as i could as it passed quicker than if i had to pay attention to anything else... or nothing else. he liked my insatiable curiosity and i liked his stories. he was an older guy. maybe 45 or 50. hung out with bikers and ran errands for them. he was a truck driver so he could haul guns and drugs. he showed me the newspaper clipping of when they busted him. there was a picture of crates with some serious-looking guns, ammo-boxes, and over 100 pounds of weed. he was real proud of that picture. he said that what i saw there was nothing compared to what he'd done in the past, and generations of his lineage would be taken care of due to just the right amount of extra space in the trailers of all those rigs over the years.

so that's the gist of it. i have a story about another guy who was absolutely insane and i will forever remember his rabid eyes, but i'll save that one for another time. i also can't remember all the details so i have to think about it.

suffice it to say, i'm glad i went to jail. it wasn't the longest week of my life or anything terribly dreadful, but it was just enough time to instill in me a sense that i don't want to go back.
This country is so ****ing weird sometimes. They won't lock up murderers for long enough but yet they'll put someone in a maximum security facility just because they had some pot?
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
Yeah that's crazy. Here they would probably just take your joint and send you on your way. If you had any quantity it might be different but smoking a joint they would hardly bother.
That's right, in fact these days meth/p is such a problem that the police won't even mind if they catch you with weed in your car. At the most they will just take it off you and warn you to be careful. Police time goes to busting labs and stopping p shipments from overseas and they have done really well so far with it.

If you're caught selling you might get a fine or a short sentence, but not a maximum security prison - just a jail with all the goods where you can sneak in alcohol and ciggys and they have flat screen TV's, computers, comfortable beds, etc.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Killed Laura Palmer
 
ThePhanastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 1,667
Default

I know people who've been busted for minor possession in my area, which is pretty harsh on drugs of any kind. One girl had pain pills, first offense. 30 days in jail. Another friend got public intox and possession of marijuana, first offense for possession, second for public intox, and he got probation and a $250 fine.

They're really more concerned about opiate abusers/heroin addicts/meth labs.

Although I do know someone who'd re-upped on their pot to last them two weeks - because they get paid bi-weekly and buy an oz. when they get their paycheck...and they got 7 days, because an oz. and above counts as intent to sell. They said that never in their life had they wished that someone had actually shorted them and gave them a light sack, but alas, that was not to be. They actually packed it fat, and it was 1.1 oz or something.

And yeah, they had no intention of selling any of it; that was a two week supply for personal use.
__________________

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
(jail is different from prison. jail is under two years, prison is more, and usually much bigger)
This is information I did not know, PAN, thanks for that. And thanks for sharing your story (and Freebase, Phantasio too) --- like everyone else I'm aghast at such tough and disproportionate treatment for what was in the end a minor slip most kids make. Sometimes tough love can go way, waaay too far..
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

I can't believe you guys can get in trouble for being publically intoxicated. I could literally shoot up heroin just now and wander the streets all night and not one cop would bat an eyelid, however if you're in your car pleasantly minding your own business they will ****ing search you. ****s.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.