Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,172
Default

Happy New Year, everybody, and welcome to another science-fiction date!

I remember when people said to each other, "Can you imagine? It actually is 1984!" For decades, thanks to George Orwell, this date had been some unimaginable future time, when the whole world would be completely different and for that reason it felt very strange when the year actually arrived. Perhaps even more striking was the year 2001, made famous in advance by Stanley Kubric.

For me, every date since then has had a slightly unbelievable, futuristic feel to it. In fact, they only get real when I have actually written the date a few times, usually first on a cheque or letter. I wonder where, apart from wishing people well, we will first enter the date, ## January, 2018 ?

Also, a question for all you Millennials, what are the new futuristic dates that have been made famous in advance by artists ? What dates will make you send a hologram to your pals saying, "Can you believe it ?!"
__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 1,311
Default

At my old forum, we had a Snake Plissken fanatic who loved Escape From New York. Imagine his shock when Manhattan wasnt turned into a penetentiary by 1997.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Everything from the year 2000 is very dated by now. Maybe sci-fi novels should just start writing years as "????" to avoid feeling too anachronistic in the future.

Then of course you have things like the MS-DOS computers in Alien and huge, clunky monitors in Blade Runner.

What no sci-fi writer/director saw coming was internet meme culture and selfie sticks.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,172
Default

^ Yes, a lot of those old predictions missed the mark by quite a lot, and who could possibly have imagined that technological marvel, the selfie stick!

Mind you, H.G.Wells scored a real hit in 1899, when he wrote about two men who " walked straight to the dead end of the apartment... and then came a strange thing: a long strip of this apparently solid wall rolled up with a snap, hung over the two retreating men and fell again." The first ever automatic door! This was such a futuristic must-have that they were later installed throughout the starship Enterprise, and now people walk through them unthinkingly at their local supermarket.
__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #25 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Yes, a lot of those old predictions missed the mark by quite a lot, and who could possibly have imagined that technological marvel, the selfie stick!

Mind you, H.G.Wells scored a real hit in 1899, when he wrote about two men who " walked straight to the dead end of the apartment... and then came a strange thing: a long strip of this apparently solid wall rolled up with a snap, hung over the two retreating men and fell again." The first ever automatic door! This was such a futuristic must-have that they were later installed throughout the starship Enterprise, and now people walk through them unthinkingly at their local supermarket.
I wouldn't wonder if escalators have been foreseen in sci-fi as well, but I wouldn't know where. Maybe even the concept of supermarkets itself. It seems weird for someone born in 1981 (me) to think of super markets as a relatively recent invention, but that's how it goes with any invention. I'm sure young people these days can't at all imagine a world without mobile phones or Twitter.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Happy New Year, everybody, and welcome to another science-fiction date!

I remember when people said to each other, "Can you imagine? It actually is 1984!" For decades, thanks to George Orwell, this date had been some unimaginable future time, when the whole world would be completely different and for that reason it felt very strange when the year actually arrived. Perhaps even more striking was the year 2001, made famous in advance by Stanley Kubric.

For me, every date since then has had a slightly unbelievable, futuristic feel to it. In fact, they only get real when I have actually written the date a few times, usually first on a cheque or letter. I wonder where, apart from wishing people well, we will first enter the date, ## January, 2018 ?

Also, a question for all you Millennials, what are the new futuristic dates that have been made famous in advance by artists ? What dates will make you send a hologram to your pals saying, "Can you believe it ?!"
What do you see 2018 as relating to specifically in Sci-Fi, Lisna? I can't think of anything off hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
At my old forum, we had a Snake Plissken fanatic who loved Escape From New York. Imagine his shock when Manhattan wasnt turned into a penetentiary by 1997.
It wasn't??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Everything from the year 2000 is very dated by now. Maybe sci-fi novels should just start writing years as "????" to avoid feeling too anachronistic in the future.

Then of course you have things like the MS-DOS computers in Alien and huge, clunky monitors in Blade Runner.

What no sci-fi writer/director saw coming was internet meme culture and selfie sticks.
But the original Star Trek predicted, among other things, flip mobile phones and CDs. Unfortunately, teleporters are something we're still waiting for...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
What do you see 2018 as relating to specifically in Sci-Fi, Lisna? I can't think of anything off hand...

It wasn't??

But the original Star Trek predicted, among other things, flip mobile phones and CDs. Unfortunately, teleporters are something we're still waiting for...
I would never use a teleporter. I've watched The Fly.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
innerspaceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The Organized Mind
Posts: 1,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Also, a question for all you Millennials, what are the new futuristic dates that have been made famous in advance by artists ? What dates will make you send a hologram to your pals saying, "Can you believe it ?!"
I'm not a millennial, (I narrowly escaped the label and am instead one of "The Lucky Ones" of the Oregon Trail generation), but I'd be willing to bet that Millennials will be keeping a close eye on the year 2044 due to the massive success of the novel Ready Player One and the pending Spielberg film due out in March of this year.

I hung up my Gravis Gamepad in the MS-DOS platformer era but would love to see the hyper-realistic 3D videogame paradise that is the OASIS actually come to pass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
You are quite simply one of the most unique individuals I've ever met in my 680+ months living on this orb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
I wish I had enough room to sig this entire post. You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings Guide | Top Archives | Hot 100 Album Gallery |Favorite LPs on Discogs | Top 550 Artists Video

innerspaceboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
What do you see 2018 as relating to specifically in Sci-Fi, Lisna? I can't think of anything off hand...
^Sorry, that was just my general intro to the idea that for me modern dates all have an unreal futuristic sound to them; for one thing, they don't begin with 19 anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I would never use a teleporter. I've watched The Fly.
^ HaHa! Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
I'm not a millennial, (I narrowly escaped the label and am instead one of "The Lucky Ones" of the Oregon Trail generation), but I'd be willing to bet that Millennials will be keeping a close eye on the year 2044 due to the massive success of the novel Ready Player One and the pending Spielberg film due out in March of this year.
^ " The Oregon Trail" ?! Did you grow up in the 1830s or something? Anyway, thank you for answering my question: 2044 will be a year to watch out for, as will be the year 2525. My prediction for that year? Zager and Evans will enjoy a sudden comeback:-

__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Happy New Year, everybody, and welcome to another science-fiction date!

I remember when people said to each other, "Can you imagine? It actually is 1984!" For decades, thanks to George Orwell, this date had been some unimaginable future time, when the whole world would be completely different and for that reason it felt very strange when the year actually arrived. Perhaps even more striking was the year 2001, made famous in advance by Stanley Kubric.

For me, every date since then has had a slightly unbelievable, futuristic feel to it. In fact, they only get real when I have actually written the date a few times, usually first on a cheque or letter. I wonder where, apart from wishing people well, we will first enter the date, ## January, 2018 ?

Also, a question for all you Millennials, what are the new futuristic dates that have been made famous in advance by artists ? What dates will make you send a hologram to your pals saying, "Can you believe it ?!"
We're gonna have a hell of a time with 2069.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.