Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #111 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
If I'm describing them as a team, I use the singular.
Pretty sure this is a lie. No one does that. Probably because it's a pointless grammar rule that should be flexible.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #112 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
If I'm describing them as a team, I use the singular.
Yeah. I pretty much always do the opposite. And it's not just me. I see it on Match of the Day: "Spurs weren't great on the defence today, were they?" (Not Spurs wasn't great...") or "That player is really something. He's too good for Middlesboro. They'll struggle to keep him there." Not "It will struggle" etc. Maybe it's wrong; I'm not saying it isn't. But it's one of those things that has just happened and been accepted for so long now. You go to see Zu in concert. Do you say "It played a great set" or "They played a great set"? Just sounds wrong, the former...
(shrug)
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #113 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah. I pretty much always do the opposite. And it's not just me. I see it on Match of the Day: "Spurs weren't great on the defence today, were they?" (Not Spurs wasn't great...") or "That player is really something. He's too good for Middlesboro. They'll struggle to keep him there." Not "It will struggle" etc. Maybe it's wrong; I'm not saying it isn't. But it's one of those things that has just happened and been accepted for so long now. You go to see Zu in concert. Do you say "It played a great set" or "They played a great set"? Just sounds wrong, the former...
(shrug)
Precxactly.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #114 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Pretty sure this is a lie. No one does that. Probably because it's a pointless grammar rule that should be flexible.
Mark this as the day you found out that someone you know does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah. I pretty much always do the opposite. And it's not just me. I see it on Match of the Day: "Spurs weren't great on the defence today, were they?" (Not Spurs wasn't great...") or "That player is really something. He's too good for Middlesboro. They'll struggle to keep him there." Not "It will struggle" etc. Maybe it's wrong; I'm not saying it isn't. But it's one of those things that has just happened and been accepted for so long now. You go to see Zu in concert. Do you say "It played a great set" or "They played a great set"? Just sounds wrong, the former...
(shrug)
I'm aware that people don't know how to use collective nouns, that's why I brought it up.

I would say "Zu played a great set." This isn't a discussion about pronouns. If you were to describe their music, would you say "Zu play a combination of metal and jazz" or would you say something coherent such as "Zu plays a combination of metal and jazz"? "Zu are very good" versus "Zu is very good"? If you're referring to a unit, it's singular. Soz if you've been convinced otherwise because you're wrong.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #115 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,494
Default

Plural sounds more righter to me.
Suck balls.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #116 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Plural sounds more righter to me.
Suck balls.
Dude in Germany eats up propaganda. Colour me surprised.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #117 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Mark this as the day you found out that someone you know does that.



I'm aware that people don't know how to use collective nouns, that's why I brought it up.

I would say "Zu played a great set." This isn't a discussion about pronouns. If you were to describe their music, would you say "Zu play a combination of metal and jazz" or would you say something coherent such as "Zu plays a combination of metal and jazz"? "Zu are very good" versus "Zu is very good"? If you're referring to a unit, it's singular. Soz if you've been convinced otherwise because you're wrong.
Yeah, that only works if you keep saying Zu like a retard. You can do that, I guess, as it's a short word (but people are going to think there's something wrong with you, that you can't replace the word Zu with another pronoun) but what if the band name is longer? Say, oh I don't know, The Andrew Jackson Jihad? Are you going to keep repeating their name? At some point you have to say "it" or "they". And yes, I'm aware that for that particular band you could refer to it as "he" since it's basically his band, but you know what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Plural sounds more righter to me.
Suck balls.
Always plural. Suck ball doesn't sound the same, does it?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #118 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, that only works if you keep saying Zu like a retard. You can do that, I guess, as it's a short word (but people are going to think there's something wrong with you, that you can't replace the word Zu with another pronoun) but what if the band name is longer? Say, oh I don't know, The Andrew Jackson Jihad? Are you going to keep repeating their name? At some point you have to say "it" or "they". And yes, I'm aware that for that particular band you could refer to it as "he" since it's basically his band, but you know what I mean.
You must have missed this part of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
This isn't a discussion about pronouns.
Honestly a totally different ballpark.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #119 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Always plural. Suck ball doesn't sound the same, does it?
Unless you're Hitler.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #120 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Honestly a totally different ballspark.
ftfy
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.