Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #201 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The highest league in all of English football! Good heavens, how could everyone on earth not have heard of this?
They did. That's the point. It was on worldwide news. World. Wide. You can't get more coverage than that.

Quote:
No idea what any of this is supposed to mean.
Lyrics: "It's a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go
It's a long long way to Tipperary, to the sweetest girl I know.
Goodbye Piccadilly, farewell Leicester Square
It's a long long way to Tipperary but my heart lies there."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
You've just gathered the bits you want to make it sound silly. What I've said isn't difficult to understand at all.
Like I said: cherry-picking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Though you can't really see it from the angle of the video, there were 12 billion people in the audience. It was a big time.
And a long time.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #202 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 5,103
Default

Big long time.
__________________
----------------------
|---Mic's Albums---|
----------------------
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #203 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Big long time.
Long big time.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #204 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 14,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Long big time.
me love you long time
__________________

¡¡¡brigada juvenil anarquista!!!
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #205 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
They did. That's the point. It was on worldwide news. World. Wide. You can't get more coverage than that.
I certainly believe that it was big news in the British Isles, but I'm not sure how massive the global coverage of it was, given that multiple people in this thread hadn't heard about it.

Quote:
Lyrics: "It's a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go
It's a long long way to Tipperary, to the sweetest girl I know.
Goodbye Piccadilly, farewell Leicester Square
It's a long long way to Tipperary but my heart lies there."
Ok? Not familiar with the song. I'm familiar with Leicester Square because it's a famous London landmark and I have also been there.

Quote:
Like I said: cherry-picking.
I was listing everything I knew about the subject. That is the opposite of cherry picking.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #206 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I certainly believe that it was big news in the British Isles, but I'm not sure how massive the global coverage of it was, given that multiple people in this thread hadn't heard about it.
It was on every major news network - USA, Europe, Asia, you name it. It wasn't just Britain. That's the point. Anyway, that's the point. It WAS huge news. Just because you and some people here didn't hear about it doesn't mean it wasn't big news across the world. It was.




Quote:
Ok? Not familiar with the song. I'm familiar with Leicester Square because it's a famous London landmark and I have also been there.
You've never heard of it? Wow.

Quote:
I was listing everything I knew about the subject. That is the opposite of cherry picking.
No, you were only seeing it from your point of view and refusing to accept the points Monkey and I were putting forward. When you said "so Europe is the rule now is it?" that was just silly. Nobody was saying that. There's no real argument here: we're just trying to say that both can be true. Some cities evoke, in some people, the images of sports teams. Some (I would say less - what do you think of when you hear Berlin, Belgrade, Dublin or Amsterdam?) evoke images of music. We actually accept your premise but you don't seem to be accepting that ours can also be true in certain cases.

So it's not "city names always evoke sports teams", it's "sometimes they do, and sometimes it's music".
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #207 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,425
Default

As Troll says, it was on the major news networks. Same as when Chapecoense's team were killed. Maybe some people just switch off when they see its a sport story, but it was reported. It was especially big in Asia because Leicester's owners are Thai. Italy as well, because of Claudio where it was the first time an English sport story made their front page, but it shouldn't really need to be pointed out that it would have been major news in Europe.

I'm not sure if people are just unaware of the global appeal of the Premier League and assuming that because they didn't follow it, it can't be that big anywhere else.

It was the biggest sporting upset by some distance. Using betting odds (which represent the likelihood of something happening, with a bit stuck on top so the bookies can make a profit) for comparison, Tyson losing to Buster Douglas was about 25-1. MU's treble was 80-1. Leicester was 5000-1.
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #208 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,020
Default

When was this?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #209 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It was on every major news network - USA, Europe, Asia, you name it. It wasn't just Britain. That's the point. Anyway, that's the point. It WAS huge news. Just because you and some people here didn't hear about it doesn't mean it wasn't big news across the world. It was.



Or maybe it wasn't as big news as you think it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You've never heard of it? Wow.
Nope, never heard or heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
No, you were only seeing it from your point of view and refusing to accept the points Monkey and I were putting forward. When you said "so Europe is the rule now is it?" that was just silly. Nobody was saying that. There's no real argument here: we're just trying to say that both can be true. Some cities evoke, in some people, the images of sports teams. Some (I would say less - what do you think of when you hear Berlin, Belgrade, Dublin or Amsterdam?) evoke images of music. We actually accept your premise but you don't seem to be accepting that ours can also be true in certain cases.
My premise is that music can define a city as much or more than a sport. If you agree with that, I'm not actually sure why you're debating me about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
So it's not "city names always evoke sports teams", it's "sometimes they do, and sometimes it's music".
Which was exactly my point, a refutation of Monkey's statement that he doesn't "see how a music artist is similar tbh they don't really represent the city in the same way".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #210 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
As Troll says, it was on the major news networks. Same as when Chapecoense's team were killed. Maybe some people just switch off when they see its a sport story, but it was reported. It was especially big in Asia because Leicester's owners are Thai. Italy as well, because of Claudio where it was the first time an English sport story made their front page, but it shouldn't really need to be pointed out that it would have been major news in Europe.

I'm not sure if people are just unaware of the global appeal of the Premier League and assuming that because they didn't follow it, it can't be that big anywhere else.

It was the biggest sporting upset by some distance. Using betting odds (which represent the likelihood of something happening, with a bit stuck on top so the bookies can make a profit) for comparison, Tyson losing to Buster Douglas was about 25-1. MU's treble was 80-1. Leicester was 5000-1.
I like how the bolded highlights my comment about how sports teams often don't have as much to do with their city as musicians who are actually from there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.