What's The Latest Film You Have Seen? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #12471 (permalink)
Chocolate Homunculus
 
Phantom Limb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,293
Default



This was really tight. I was not bored once and it was very visually pleasing. Highly suggested.

9/10
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Hip Hop generally bores me now I just listen to stuff I know will be slightly interesting.

Last.Fm

My Bomb Music Shit
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #12472 (permalink)
eat the masters
 
debaserr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,467
Default

Judging from the trailer, it looks like it bites off more than it can chew, but I will see it anyways.
__________________
Last.FM
debaserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #12473 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits
 
Exo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,359
Default



Slow Groove recommended me this film a while back and I finally got around to watching it. A very good little film. I've only seen a handful of Australian movies and I think this is up with Lake Mungo as the best I've seen. The only thing that I didn't like about it was it's confusing plot line that had me going to wiki to see what they were talking about. I missed some chunks due to my incurable ADD. Good films. Be careful though, it can be brutal.

8/10
__________________
LastFM

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #12474 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,331
Default


I don't even know where to start with this. It is one of the most frustrating movies I have seen for a long time.

It has such an amazing concept totally ruined by a complete lack of cohesion. The film touches on very deep concepts and ideas and it could have been such a dark, twisted movie but there is no ambiguity in the film. Even the trailer blew what could have been a genuinely jaw dropping moment later in the film and the straddle between comedy and horror just doesn't work at all. The black comedy is really, really good but you can't just drop those elements into a film that purports to deal with much weighter issues and get away with it. Make me sit there and attempt to figure what is going on or make me laugh and enjoy myself.

The obvious nod to The Evil Dead is undeniable and it was well shot and had some really great set pieces but it wasn't disturbing enough or light hearted enough to score on either scale.

In it's favour I would say that it is a great entry level into the Horror genre for viewers who don't normally view Horror movies and want to delve deeper.

Shame
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #12475 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,096
Default

Just saw Skyfall. God it was awesome, hands down the best, most thrilling, and slickest bond movie I've seen. For anyone who has seen all of the classic James Bond movies, this one will put a smile on your face more than once. 9/10
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #12476 (permalink)
Yac
Super Moderator
 
Yac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: It's a secret too.
Posts: 1,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I don't even know where to start with this. It is one of the most frustrating movies I have seen for a long time.

It has such an amazing concept totally ruined by a complete lack of cohesion. The film touches on very deep concepts and ideas and it could have been such a dark, twisted movie but there is no ambiguity in the film. Even the trailer blew what could have been a genuinely jaw dropping moment later in the film and the straddle between comedy and horror just doesn't work at all. The black comedy is really, really good but you can't just drop those elements into a film that purports to deal with much weighter issues and get away with it. Make me sit there and attempt to figure what is going on or make me laugh and enjoy myself.

The obvious nod to The Evil Dead is undeniable and it was well shot and had some really great set pieces but it wasn't disturbing enough or light hearted enough to score on either scale.

In it's favour I would say that it is a great entry level into the Horror genre for viewers who don't normally view Horror movies and want to delve deeper.

Shame
I Loved it. Loved with a capital L. But then again I never considered this movie to be a horror - rather a parody of sorts. It had the elements of a horror, but I felt the creators were openly playing with the genre rather than trying to cultivate it. And the ending only confirmed it, after all
Spoiler for spoiler:
how many horrors end with all the characters dying, evil winning and the world getting destroyerd ?

Cabin in the woods was, to the horror genre, more a "Scary movie" than the next "Exorcist".

I saw the "Total Recall" remake. Having seen the original a dozen or so times on tv, comparing the plots and the scenes made watching this bearable. Also Kate Beckingsale and Jessica Biel
Unfortunately the movie looked like a mediocre adaptation of a video game apart from that, there's a lot of shooting and jumping and running and everything is very colorful ... and that's it.
And don't try analyzing the plot, it'll make your head hurt
Yac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #12477 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,065
Default

Had a horror movie marathon the other night, watched these three.



28 Days Later (2002) was not nearly as good as I've heard it was, but it was enjoyable in a campy sort of way. Although the movie as a whole was just so-so, that last death scene was freaking amazing. No spoilers or anything, but someone gets killed by having another man's thumbs pushed through his eyes into his brain. I was freaking out! Hahaha.



Fiend Without A Face (1958). It's about disembodied murderous brains that are apparently "human thoughts brought to life with nuclear radiation." In the 50's radiation could make anything a monster.
The film was good enough, I suppose, VERY cheesy. I wanted to watch it because it was reportedly the goriest movie from its time, and it delivered the promise. The end scene features the brains (fiends?) attacking a group of people trapped in a house, slowly breaking in. The people use guns, axes, and other implements of destruction to make the brains literally explode, spurting nasty goo everywhere with these wonderfully gross sound effects. This scene was considered so shocking at the time that many theaters refused to show the film, and it was banned in Sweden altogether! If you like old, hilariously stupid sci fi movies, this is for you. Best watched with several friends to riff with.



Alien (1979). Do I really have to say anything? It's flipping Alien.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #12478 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
28 Days Later (2002) was not nearly as good as I've heard it was, but it was enjoyable in a campy sort of way. Although the movie as a whole was just so-so, that last death scene was freaking amazing. No spoilers or anything, but someone gets killed by having another man's thumbs pushed through his eyes into his brain. I was freaking out! Hahaha.
I've always thought of this as quite overrated. An empty London was cool, but the rest was not as memorable. I know a lot of people disagree, but I don't think having zombies run is enough to get credit for reinventing the zombie genre. Neither did it creep me out ..

Either I saw it on a bad day or it's overrated.
__________________
Something Completely Different
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #12479 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I've always thought of this as quite overrated. An empty London was cool, but the rest was not as memorable. I know a lot of people disagree, but I don't think having zombies run is enough to get credit for reinventing the zombie genre. Neither did it creep me out ..

Either I saw it on a bad day or it's overrated.
I thought it was great personally. The unfortunate thing, I think, is that so many movies have imitated its style that it doesn't now seem as unique as it was when it came out.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #12480 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Thom Yorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,848
Default

I saw both Flight and Skyfall over the weekend and thought they were both kind of average. Both had their moments but suffered from being too corny at times (even if that was the point in Skyfall). That was the first Bond movie I've seen that Craig was in and didn't really like him in the role. I know I'm one of the few that has this opinion, but I really liked Brosnan in the role, over anyone else.

I'd give Flight a 6/10 and Skyfall a 6.5/10.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.