Favourite Stand-Up Comedian? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default Favourite Stand-Up Comedian?

Basically wanted to know who everyone likes/dislikes in the world of stand-up comedy.

I adore Stewart Lee, Richard Herring, Ricky Gervais, Daniel Kitson, Bill Hicks, Alan Partridge, George Carlin etc...

I dislike comics like Peter Kay, Paddy McGuinness, most panel show comedians and the terrible American ones.




My two faves

(couldn't find a thread on this already)
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
I dislike comics like Peter Kay, Paddy McGuinness, most panel show comedians and the terrible American ones.
Does that mean you like the terrible ones from other countries?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

Yes. Especially the ones I didn't name. Jim Davidson is a personal hero.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,128
Default

I quite like Dylan Moran.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

He is good. Quite strange for the sake of it, but at least he is actually funny.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Lenny Bruce, hands down. First real 'dirty social comedian', and the trailblazer for the likes of George Carlin, and Bill Hicks.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
He is good. Quite strange for the sake of it, but at least he is actually funny.
That's a bit of why I like him so much. I like absurd, dry humour.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,435
Default

The problem with Lenny Bruce is that he wasn't that funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
That's a bit of why I like him so much. I like absurd, dry humour.
I do agree with that.

I accept that most stand up comedians are in 'character', but it does get annoying when those character traits are a substitute for actual content - which I think Dylan Moran is sometimes guilty of.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Thom Yorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,839
Default

Louis CK


Norm Macdonald


Mitch Hedberg
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomClancy11 View Post
The problem with Lenny Bruce is that he wasn't that funny
Lenny Bruce was plenty funny, just really really dated. I think, also, you have to have the patience to endure his really really long wind-ups. Which, in my eyes, are a beautiful construction of themselves.

This is one of his most accessible bits, Don't tell me this isn't a tad bit clever, especially for the early 60s when it came out:

__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.