Classic Albums I have never heard - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Members Journal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
carpe musicam
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 7,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Early Genesis was never a problem for me. I fell in love with them via "Seconds out", most of which is early 70s (Watcher of the skies, Supper's ready, The Musical Box etc) and gobbled up everything, even Genesis to Revelation. Paradoxically, it was the later Genesis material I didn't altogether love, like Abacab and Calling all stations. As for Yes, I came to them via Big Generator, which I loved, then to 90125 and on from there. We are definitely at opposite ends, as you say. See, when I was into Genesis, Rush and Supertramp I was equally NOT into ELP, King Crimson or Yes. But I intend to go straight to CttE once I decide to review it, because this is what this journal is about: not softening the blow as it were by trying other albums around it, but going straight to the one considered the classic.
I like all of them. A lot of those bands are related somehow with a few musicians playing in different bands here and there, they're even connected with John Lennon and Frida Lyngstad as well. As favorites, I went from Pink Floyd to Yes to Genesis. But I really didn't buy any Pink Floyd when I was young because I always heard them on the radio. My cousin had Genesis' first live album, and I remember the only track I played on it was Watcher of the Skies, playing it over and over. I like Calling All Stations, it's kinda sad ending to a band that left behind hefty amount of really really good music. I almost have their whole catalog on CD. I like related bands too like GTR, Mike and The Mechanics and the solo careers of Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel & (some) Phil Collins. I didn't delve all the way into ELP, King Crimson, or Supertramp but I have a half a dozen albums among them. But I do have a good amount of Yes and Genesis.

Tbh I was hoping to make you a full fledged fan of early Yes
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Well, mostly the tearing down of the established rock hierarchy, making music without any talent or class and basically just fucking with people while getting rich in the process. Oh yeah, I don't like punk rock.
But you're still limiting yourself from both normal punk and hardcore by eliminating the Never Mind the Bollocks...... and Damaged albums. You've stated that you want to listen to classic albums that you don't know. The whole idea of classic albums is that it's a real chance to like a style of music that you don't normally like, because that is what classic albums are often designed to do, so just think of it as a challenge.

Anyway talking of classic albums, when are you finally going to listen to the Diamond Head debut, I've been hitting you over the head with a hammer on that album for a while now

I know this seems like I'm having a go at you.......... well I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Tbh I was hoping to make you a full fledged fan of early Yes
He would be but he's too stubborn to do so and would end up in sheer awe after listening Close to the Edge.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 06-04-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
I guess I'll get some "seriously?" responses from people, but could I recommend something?

Spoiler for Album:
Well the problem is that I don't have any interest in hip-hop/rap, and so that doesn't fit in with what I want to do. I've never heard of that album, or artiste, and I guess the title of the journal possibly should be "Classic albums I've never heard but know of". although I think that's implicit in the word "classic". I mean, classic in that I know of them and they're regarded as classic. Mind you, that sort of pulls in things like "A nation of millions" and stuff. But I don't, at the moment, want to tread too far outside my preferred genres, so I'll pass on that thanks, but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like all of them. A lot of those bands are related somehow with a few musicians playing in different bands here and there, they're even connected with John Lennon and Frida Lyngstad as well. As favorites, I went from Pink Floyd to Yes to Genesis. But I really didn't buy any Pink Floyd when I was young because I always heard them on the radio. My cousin had Genesis' first live album, and I remember the only track I played on it was Watcher of the Skies, playing it over and over. I like Calling All Stations, it's kinda sad ending to a band that left behind hefty amount of really really good music. I almost have their whole catalog on CD. I like related bands too like GTR, Mike and The Mechanics and the solo careers of Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel & (some) Phil Collins. I didn't delve all the way into ELP, King Crimson, or Supertramp but I have a half a dozen albums among them. But I do have a good amount of Yes and Genesis.
Oh yeah, I love all the associated Genesis solo stuff too: Hackett, Gabriel, Banks, Rutherford. Not mad about Collins, obviously, though his first album was very good; after that it slid a bit into too poppy/commercial territory for me. Anthony Phillips' stuff is really good too.
Quote:
Tbh I was hoping to make you a full fledged fan of early Yes
Meh, stranger things have happened. That pope becoming horse, for one, or that time in fifth century Burgundy when it rained herring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
But you're still limiting yourself from both normal punk and hardcore by eliminating the Never Mind the Bollocks...... and Damaged albums. You've stated that you want to listen to classic albums that you don't know. The whole idea of classic albums is that it's a real chance to like a style of music that you don't normally like, because that is what classic albums are often designed to do, so just think of it as a challenge.
No, I don't care. I'm not interested in the divisions between punk. I don't like it, and the furthest I'd venture would be what I suppose would be considered fringe or semi-punk bands like the Clash, SLF and the Buzzcocks, maybe the Stranglers? See how little I know about punk? I want to know less.

Also, I haven't stated I want to hear classic albums I don't know, I've said I want to hear classic albums I haven't heard: there's a difference. You could tell me that Johnny Lampost Head and His Burning Sticky Labels first album "I hate you all" is a classic, but if I haven't heard of it it's not a classic to me. The perfect example is "Loveless". I have heard people raving about it, though I don't know anything the band has done, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It's more albums I think I should have heard, or owe it to myself to hear.
Quote:
Anyway talking of classic albums, when are you finally going to listen to the Diamond Head debut, I've been hitting you over the head with a hammer on that album for a while now
Watch my journal for the fourth installment of "Witches, Bitches, Maidens and Monsters", where I focus on Diamond Head and review their albums. It's in there. Finally.

Mind you, you may not like what I say about them....


Quote:
He would be but he's too stubborn to do so and would end up in sheer awe after listening Close to the Edge.
I'm really interested to see if that measures up to all the hype, I just don't want to go directly to it first, be too predictable.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
their theme was pretty much "we're mad about stuff but we're not really sure what we're mad about, but we're still mad, did we mention we're mad?"
Nah, their theme was "Let's piss people off." Why? "Why not?"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
carpe musicam
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 7,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post

He would be but he's too stubborn to do so and would end up in sheer awe after listening Close to the Edge.
I wish he could go beyond and before his prejudice. I don't understand it. If he can have a venture into Boybandland and be able to escape through the gates of delirium he should be able to listen to early Yes. And the songs being long isn't a very good excuse either. I put on a Genesis song right after breakfast and before I know it... supper's ready! Well I'll just leave it at that, I know he has a lot of reviews to do.. and I wonder if he'll get 'em out by Friday.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
and I wonder if he'll get 'em out by Friday.
I think that's taking things a bit too close to the edge.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Powerstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 450
Default

Fantastic idea! If I send you Nevermind, will you give your impressions? Don't worry, I think every last song on that album is better than Teen Spirit, except for Teen Spirit itself. It helps to have notes on the inspiration of certain songs like Polly. If you don't wanna review, that's cool, I'll still follow this!
__________________
My New Journal
Favorite Album Of The Moment: They Might Be Giants - Glean
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
carpe musicam
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 7,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I think that's taking things a bit too close to the edge.
yeah, his fingers must be comfortably numb after banging out so many reviews.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mord View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #29 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I think that's taking things a bit too close to the edge.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstars View Post
Fantastic idea! If I send you Nevermind, will you give your impressions? Don't worry, I think every last song on that album is better than Teen Spirit, except for Teen Spirit itself. It helps to have notes on the inspiration of certain songs like Polly. If you don't wanna review, that's cool, I'll still follow this!
Nevremind is on the list, but when I'll get to it is another thing. I want to select one album (in this case, "Loveless") and spend some time immersing myself in it, to return with a redux review before going on to the next. So yes it will be done but probably not this month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
yeah, his fingers must be comfortably numb after banging out so many reviews.
What's with all the Drama? Wish you were here? You know, you guys are pushing me to the Wall with your Tales of Topographic Oceans: I might just have to climb The Ladder and Fly from here!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Plankton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 7,766
Default

I was just listening to Faith No More - Angel Dust and was wondering if you'd ever had the opportunity to hear it?

Some of their best work. I'd say it's a classic.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.