Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Pop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Seriously? Paul McCartney's last tour was called On the Run. Talk about originality.

Yea I know. That whole Bonnie and Clyde theme they always do is boring and played out and it doesn't really match their off stage persona's.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Hardly, Van Halen were the biggest rock band in the world in 1983.

Yea but MJ was bigger than them in the 80's.

Nobody is bigger than Michael Jackson especially in the 80's.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Yea but MJ was bigger than them in the 80's.

Nobody is bigger than Michael Jackson especially in the 80's.
That's true after Thriller but keep in mind when Eddie recorded that guitar part the album hadn't been released yet. MJ was popular before Thriller but he wasn't yet the incomparable megastar that we think of him as now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Yea but MJ was bigger than them in the 80's.

Nobody is bigger than Michael Jackson especially in the 80's.
Not in 82/83 when they were they held the world records for the highest grossing tour ever, highest paid band ever AND most people attending a single show.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That's true after Thriller but keep in mind when Eddie recorded that guitar part the album hadn't been released yet. MJ was popular before Thriller but he wasn't yet the incomparable megastar that we think of him as now.

Yea which is why I said in the 80's. I am not referring to the Off The Wall era or prior to his success in the 80's.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Not in 82/83 when they were they held the world records for the highest grossing tour ever, highest paid band ever AND most people attending a single show.

The Thriller album was released in 1983.

The Girl is Mine was released as a single in 1982 and was a number one hit song.

It is safe to say MJ was pretty big in both those years you stated.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Yea which is why I said in the 80's. I am not referring to the Off The Wall era or prior to his success in the 80's.
Er, you are talking about that era if you're talking about the time period when Eddie Van Halen was recording his guitar part for "Beat It".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Didn't say he wasn't big.
Just saying at that time Van Halen were the biggest rock band in the world, bigger than Jackson was at the time so I don't see how Jackson was doing him a favour.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Wow I was all kinds of wrong the Thriller album was actually released in 1982

Thriller (Michael Jackson album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)


I always get the years mixed up because most of the singles were released in 1983.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Didn't say he wasn't big.
Just saying at that time Van Halen were the biggest rock band in the world, bigger than Jackson was at the time so I don't see how Jackson was doing him a favour.

Sorry, but this is not true.


MJ was huge in 82 and was selling out stadiums in that year. Van Halen was not bigger than MJ during this period sorry. I respect them but this is not true.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
  • Stars Of the Lid, Avant Garde/Experimental Forum, 12 replies
  • Stars, Song Writing, Lyrics and Poetry Forum, 1 replies



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.