Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Prog & Psychedelic Rock (https://www.musicbanter.com/prog-psychedelic-rock/)
-   -   Favorite Jimi Hendrix song? (https://www.musicbanter.com/prog-psychedelic-rock/107-favorite-jimi-hendrix-song.html)

mr dave 03-28-2009 04:42 PM

i think the shortness of Hendrix's original Little Wing is what makes it so poignant. much in the same way that the 'slight return' of Voodoo Chile is superior to the original to most listeners. it doesn't have time to devolve into wankery. it's not that i don't like the longer versions but they're more suitable to a live situation, when you're there in the moment and you can feel the music in the air. the extended versions are meant for the stage not the studio to my ears.

Antonio 03-28-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr dave (Post 621651)
astro man was never really finished as a song, it's only on compilations and the line 'that old ***got superman' generally doesn't sit well with most and makes hendrix seem a little bigoted.

where's 'valleys of neptune' from? i've never heard of it and i've got about a dozen hendrix discs.

Valleys of Neptune is on a cd called Hear My Music, it's an all instrumental album, basically a bunch of jams as well as a few unfinished stuff songs. Valleys of Neptune in also unfinished; there's 2 Valleys of Neptune tracks on the cd, the guitar track and a piano track(did i mention Hendrix plays piano on it?!:D)

mr dave 03-28-2009 05:10 PM

damn, i never knew hendrix could play the piano. i'll definitely have to poke around to try to find a copy or something. thanks for the heads up.

Alkajazz 03-30-2009 12:26 AM

Castles made of sand

Fruitonica 03-30-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr dave (Post 624361)
i think the shortness of Hendrix's original Little Wing is what makes it so poignant. much in the same way that the 'slight return' of Voodoo Chile is superior to the original to most listeners. it doesn't have time to devolve into wankery.

I'd say a lot of people prefer slight return because of its faster hard rock edge, compared to the bluesy jam of the original. They're very different songs and I don't feel that the length has much to do with it.

mr dave 03-30-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitonica (Post 625199)
I'd say a lot of people prefer slight return because of its faster hard rock edge, compared to the bluesy jam of the original. They're very different songs and I don't feel that the length has much to do with it.

true enough, but i was basically using it as an example of length not equaling greatness in regards to a comment about 'what if hendrix had made little wing into 7 minutes instead'

Fruitonica 03-30-2009 04:58 PM

Fair enough.

iksosept 04-02-2009 05:01 AM

I must agree, because little wing is so short, it makes me play it over and over again. that's not a bad sign I guess.
But it's just, to me it's a dreamy song and at the end of it I want to dream on, not skip back. and it would have been an awesome 7minutes song, I'm just sure.

But never mind, of course we'll never know. + the shortness might make it even more intense, you could be right.

you stated you like a studio version short and the live version longer.
That's a good point too, I agree. (well mainly, but again, sometimes I like to feel the music in the air, as you said it, even in my flat.. or laying on the grass with my headphones.. :hphones:)
But also, others do not feel the same way - I've been to a concert with a friend, and the band extended every song. It was fantastic, imo, you could feel your body reacting to the turns the music took. My friend couldn't stand it, he liked the songs the way they were on the record.

yeah well. hard to generalize that all, I guess.:confused:

mr dave 04-02-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iksosept (Post 627792)
I must agree, because little wing is so short, it makes me play it over and over again. that's not a bad sign I guess.
But it's just, to me it's a dreamy song and at the end of it I want to dream on, not skip back. and it would have been an awesome 7minutes song, I'm just sure.

well... do the 9 minutes of 'moon turn the tides...' really add that much to '1983...'? :p:

i'm also totally with you on the whole live music should be its own thing. seems like your friend is more of a passive music fan than an active one.

kthedrummer 04-02-2009 09:40 PM

Crosstown Traffic.....lately.

For a long time it was Watchtower because of that scene in Rush.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.