Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Prog & Psychedelic Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #151 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
Yeah, but then we go over the reasons why we think or believe that, and we find we have a lot of the same views and teach ourselves some new ones to back our views up.
I'd call this a conflict (in the broadest sense) again. But I get why someone wouldn't like to employ that word here, it has too many negative and even violent connotations.

(Wow, things are getting pretty damn meta in here. )
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #152 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 39
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Okay, I admit I got it wrong, but who exactly is Steve Morse, and why bring him into this discussion if he's not a prog head?

I didn't bring Morse into the discussion. You don't read the threads.

Big prog bands: Spock's Beard, IQ, Marillion, Arena, Kamelot, Pendragon, Dream Theater, Gapacho, etc etc etc. All doing well, all playing music either without computers or with the assistance of but still playing real instruments.

Never said I didn't respect these bands. But aren't they all from 30 years ago? I'm talking about modern bands.

Big prog festivals thriving. The point about festivals is that they are once a year, so saying the fact that they only run once a year doesn't prove they're popular is like saying Donington or Download are not popular. They always sell out.

You mean like Nearfest that went belly up because they couldn't keep it a float financially?

Prog Archives. Check it out and tell me those bands aren't good. Look at their top lists for this or last year.

All our bands are on Prog Archives as well. Nothing new.

I'm not even going to get into the vinyl vs CD argument, because I don't see what relevance that has to the discussion at all.

Of course it is relevant. All the greatest prog bands recorded on tape machines not pro tools. It's very relevant because it is the protocol that was used as a way of doing things. And that methodology made the great albums that everyone knows are standing the test of time. I don't see any product from the pro tools generation that will stand up to the analog classics over time.

Here you go
Tributary Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #153 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
Here you go
You and bloody pro tools! Did someone from their company once do something on you?? What the HELL has it got to do with modern prog? PROVE to me that all or most modern prog bands use Pro Tools exclusively to record and make their music. It's just a tool, hence the name. It doesn't compose the bloody music.

Gazpacho's first album came out in 2003. Anyway, what does it matter when they begun? They're still recording and playing, which makes them modern bands. If you mean modern as in only formed in the last decade

also


And using the possibility of one prog festival unable to survive doesn't negate all the festivals that ARE thriving. Marillion do a "Marillion Weekend" every year. It always sells out and just gets bigger. Also, you neglected to mention that NEARfest ran for over a decade before it was wound up. And "All NEARfests were complete sellouts, outside of the 2011 cancellation." (Wiki) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEARfest

So what if your bands are on Prog Archives? What does that prove? You're telling us there are no new prog bands around who are good. I'm saying look at the list of the albums that were released in 2013, 2014 or last year and were picked for their top 50 or whatever. I'm willing to bet none of your guys will be on that list.

Never said you didn't respect those bands I brought up? No, that's true, because apart from SB you totally ignored any reference I made to them. Now you dismiss them because they're not modern? Your world must be a comfy, cosy, safe little place, is all I can say.

You tempt me to call you an idiot. All the best prog bands recorded on vinyl because there was nothing else! Do you think bands like Yes, Genesis, Supertramp etc decided once CDs and Pro Tools came to be that "Oh no way man! We're not using them!" Get real, for the love of all that's holy. Your arguments are wafer-thin and it's embarrassing talking to you and trying to make you see sense.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #154 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
That's it. I refuse to deal with you any more.
Just sayin'.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #155 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,697
Default

__________________
Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response or argument over a topic the "troll" often has no real interest in, and finds humor, or entertainment in reactions.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #156 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 39
Default



Point being that thousands of people attending something like this in 1974.
Prog bands in the 70's had the attention of mainstream music listeners.
They lost that attention. Now that energy has moved to electronica event.
Tributary Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #157 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You and bloody pro tools! Did someone from their company once do something on you?? What the HELL has it got to do with modern prog? PROVE to me that all or most modern prog bands use Pro Tools exclusively to record and make their music. It's just a tool, hence the name. It doesn't compose the bloody music.

Gazpacho's first album came out in 2003. Anyway, what does it matter when they begun? They're still recording and playing, which makes them modern bands. If you mean modern as in only formed in the last decade

also


And using the possibility of one prog festival unable to survive doesn't negate all the festivals that ARE thriving. Marillion do a "Marillion Weekend" every year. It always sells out and just gets bigger. Also, you neglected to mention that NEARfest ran for over a decade before it was wound up. And "All NEARfests were complete sellouts, outside of the 2011 cancellation." (Wiki) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEARfest

So what if your bands are on Prog Archives? What does that prove? You're telling us there are no new prog bands around who are good. I'm saying look at the list of the albums that were released in 2013, 2014 or last year and were picked for their top 50 or whatever. I'm willing to bet none of your guys will be on that list.

Never said you didn't respect those bands I brought up? No, that's true, because apart from SB you totally ignored any reference I made to them. Now you dismiss them because they're not modern? Your world must be a comfy, cosy, safe little place, is all I can say.

You tempt me to call you an idiot. All the best prog bands recorded on vinyl because there was nothing else! Do you think bands like Yes, Genesis, Supertramp etc decided once CDs and Pro Tools came to be that "Oh no way man! We're not using them!" Get real, for the love of all that's holy. Your arguments are wafer-thin and it's embarrassing talking to you and trying to make you see sense.
But none of those bands made their best albums in the digital era did they?
There is a reason for this. Open your ears and have a listen.

Nearfest was always losing money. It was an act of philanthropy really.

Why no significant profest on the west coast? Do explain that one.
Tributary Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #158 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post


Point being that thousands of people attending something like this in 1974.
Prog bands in the 70's had the attention of mainstream music listeners.
They lost that attention. Now that energy has moved to electronica event.
What does that have to do with the supposedly declining quality of the music?
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #159 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post


Point being that thousands of people attending something like this in 1974.
Prog bands in the 70's had the attention of mainstream music listeners.
They lost that attention. Now that energy has moved to electronica event.
Again, what the **** does your point add up to? Music moves on. Prog hit a zenith and it was awesome. And then it wore down. Disco hit a zenith too.

Your point alludes me totally.
__________________
Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response or argument over a topic the "troll" often has no real interest in, and finds humor, or entertainment in reactions.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #160 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Just sayin'.
Yeah I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary Records View Post
But none of those bands made their best albums in the digital era did they?
There is a reason for this. Open your ears and have a listen.
What ARE you talking about? Yes did 90125, which had their biggest hit on it. Genesis did, um, Genesis and Marillion had some of their best albums in the last few years. Anyway, what IS the "digital era"? CDs have been around since the 1980s.
Quote:
Nearfest was always losing money. It was an act of philanthropy really.
How could something that always sold out be losing money? Philanthropy? To whom? In any case, once again you avoid the other prog festivals that are doing really well, to focus on one that folded.
Quote:
Why no significant profest on the west coast? Do explain that one.
Couldn't tell you mate: I live in Ireland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Again, what the **** does your point add up to? Music moves on. Prog hit a zenith and it was awesome. And then it wore down. Disco hit a zenith too.

Your point alludes me totally.
Exactly. It eludes me too. You can't expect music to stand still. Oh and again, thanks for avoiding all my other points, not that I had expected anything other than this from you at this point.

Here you go: I hope you'll be very happy in 1974.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.