Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Prog & Psychedelic Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default Psychedelic Music through the Decades

Same as Jackhammer's thread, just specialized for the Psychedlia and related styles like Sunshine Pop, and Acid Rock.

So what can you post?

It could be:
  • the Psychedelic Rock song you are listening to as you log onto MB
  • Psychedelic Rock album you just listen to
  • current interests like
    • a new band/song you found that you want to share
    • or an old band you put aside, but have recently gone back to

The Babe Rainbow - Secret Enchanted Broccoli Forest
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-19-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

http://www.musicbanter.com/prog-psyc...g-version.html
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It was an oversight. I checked the advance search and missed it in the returns. I narrow this thread to Psychedelic music, but I feel a "What are you listening to?" for Psychedelia isn't a strong enough topic, and if there isn't any participation, I'll ask a mod to delete the whole thread as a mistake thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
It was an oversight. I checked the advance search and missed it in the returns. I narrow this thread to Psychedelic music, but I feel a "What are you listening to?" for Psychedelia isn't a strong enough topic, and if there isn't any participation, I'll ask a mod to delete the whole thread as a mistake thread.
Really, neither is Prog. A few people posted but they were usually the same ones. I think this only works for general, metal and maybe pop. Nobody's interested otherwise. Philistines.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~dreamer~*~ View Post

I agree
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post

Quote:
It was an oversight. I checked the advance search and missed it in the returns. I narrow this thread to Psychedelic music, but I feel a "What are you listening to?" for Psychedelia isn't a strong enough topic, and if there isn't any participation, I'll ask a mod to delete the whole thread as a mistake thread.
Really, neither is Prog. A few people posted but they were usually the same ones. I think this only works for general, metal and maybe pop. Nobody's interested otherwise. Philistines.
^ Trollheart's thread also escaped my attention.
My suggestion now would be to ask a mod to merge the two threads, and with TH's permission, change the title of his thread to Prog and Psych. That way you might catch more potential contributors, and would also be echoing the title of the sub-forum, which'd make things simpler for anyone who is genre-challenged.

I even promise to post something myself, though I see that mainly I'll be putting "x2" onto Psy-Fi's posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
The Babe Rainbow - Secret Enchanted Broccoli Forest
^ This makes a great start to the thread, Neapolitan! It's a very neat pastiche, I presume. Do you have a date for it by any chance?
__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Trollheart's thread also escaped my attention.
My suggestion now would be to ask a mod to merge the two threads, and with TH's permission, change the title of his thread to Prog and Psych. That way you might catch more potential contributors, and would also be echoing the title of the sub-forum, which'd make things simpler for anyone who is genre-challenged.

I even promise to post something myself, though I see that mainly I'll be putting "x2" onto Psy-Fi's posts.
I was thinking about asking a mod to delete. Since ~*~dreamer~*~ posted here, I decide on plan B which was to ask a mod to change the title. I guess I'll re-write the opening too. Asking to merge the two thread imo would be too much like stepping on Trollheart's toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ This makes a great start to the thread, Neapolitan! It's a very neat pastiche, I presume. Do you have a date for it by any chance?
It appears on an limited edition EP that was released on Sep 4, 2015, however the video was posted on YouTube on May 25, 2014.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I was thinking about asking a mod to delete. Since ~*~dreamer~*~ posted here, I decide on plan B which was to ask a mod to change the title. I guess I'll re-write the opening too. Asking to merge the two thread imo would be too much like stepping on Trollheart's toes.
^ It's your call of course, Neapolitan, but I don't imagine that Trollheart would mind - after all, he has so many threads going on MB that I don't suppose he's particularly territorial about one that's all but dried up. Would u like me to PM him about it ?
Quote:

It appears on an limited edition EP that was released on Sep 4, 2015, however the video was posted on YouTube on May 25, 2014.
Thanks for such a detailed answer.

I'm exploring early Gong at the moment. If, like me, you find Daevid Allen's whimsy tedious, you have to choose pretty carefully. This track, at least, has some decent music to excuse his lapses into twee humour:-

__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ It's your call of course, Neapolitan, but I don't imagine that Trollheart would mind - after all, he has so many threads going on MB that I don't suppose he's particularly territorial about one that's all but dried up. Would u like me to PM him about it ?


Thanks for such a detailed answer.

I'm exploring early Gong at the moment. If, like me, you find Daevid Allen's whimsy tedious, you have to choose pretty carefully. This track, at least, has some decent music to excuse his lapses into twee humour:-

It's so 1969 I thought you wouldn't believe me otherwise.

Gong sounds more Prog, there's some Experimental side of Psychedelia e.g. United States of America. Seeing that it came out '73 makes sense. It seems to go in the direction of Jazz fusion which more bands were doing in the mid 70s. Think of Relayer which Yes released in '74. The last bit of the song is a bit interesting ~ 11:21 you hear Post-Punk-like/Devo-like chords.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Gong sounds more Prog, there's some Experimental side of Psychedelia e.g. United States of America. Seeing that it came out '73 makes sense. It seems to go in the direction of Jazz fusion which more bands were doing in the mid 70s. Think of Relayer which Yes released in '74. The last bit of the song is a bit interesting ~ 11:21 you hear Post-Punk-like/Devo-like chords.
I wish I could analyse music with precision, like that Nea, but it's beyond me.

Right now I'm really excited by these guys, with their solid rhythms and fuzzed-up guitar. Is there even a touch of Jim Morrison in their singer? I'm not sure.

__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.