Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Punk
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 34,915
Default

Nah. There are definitely some that began as or became marketing terms, but subgenres are usually coined by music nerds themselves.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #32 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Nah. There are definitely some that began as or became marketing terms, but subgenres are usually coined by music nerds themselves.
They're not very descriptive and the marketing departments of record labels always end up getting behind them, regardless of who coined them. I just don't really care about the sub-genre labeling system because there's so much overlapping that it's not very practical. There are so many different genres within metal, which isn't very distinct from rock or punk to begin with, that people are just making them up now to describe their band because it's become satirical to do so.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 34,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maajo View Post
They're not very descriptive
This is where I stopped reading. Subgenres make it easier to communicate elements of music for discussions and exploration, even if people do go over the top and coin genres that only apply to one band or apply to too many bands to meaningful. I'm very much pro subgenre.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Subgenres make it easier to communicate elements of music.
They literally communicate a brand or a style, and that's pretty much the extent of it. You can communicate elements of music in ways that are more descriptive, and you won't end up limiting your results to terms like "psychedelic".
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 34,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maajo View Post
They literally communicate a brand or a style, and that's pretty much the extent of it. You can communicate elements of music in ways that are more descriptive,
No ****. Doesn't devalue subgenres.

Quote:
and you won't end up limiting your results to terms like "psychedelic".
Then you can go for more esoteric psychedelic genres like krautrock, zolo, or molam. It seems like this point actually goes with my pro-subgenre stance more than yours.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
No ****. Doesn't devalue subgenres.
What's the value in that? So you know what kind of clothing you're supposed to buy to look like a krautrocker?
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 34,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maajo View Post
What's the value in that? So you know what kind of clothing you're supposed to buy to look like a krautrocker?
I thought by style you meant musical style. Like hey I want to listen to black metal right as opposed to I want to listen to metal with fast tempos, a shrieking vocal style, heavily distorted guitars played with tremolo picking, raw (lo-fi) recording, unconventional song structures, and an emphasis on atmosphere. It saves time.

It really just sounds like you need to stop getting your music from the television. What you say holds up for something like grunge, but it doesn't really apply to something like, idunno, izlan.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I thought by style you meant musical style. Like hey I want to listen to black metal right as opposed to I want to listen to metal with fast tempos, a shrieking vocal style, heavily distorted guitars played with tremolo picking, raw (lo-fi) recording, unconventional song structures, and an emphasis on atmosphere. It saves time.
Yes, as a tag the sub-genres work okay, but so does looking up by artist and searching for bands that are similar. It's more precise and just as effective at saving time.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 34,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maajo View Post
Yes, as a tag the sub-genres work okay, but so does looking up by artist and searching for bands that are similar. It's more precise and just as effective at saving time.
Eh it can and can't be since (at least online), "similar artists" are just artists that are a common denominator amongst fans. There's a lot that can potentially be left untapped if you don't use every way that you can to dig deeper. I don't see why you can't do both.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Eh it can and can't be since (at least online), "similar artists" are just artists that are a common denominator amongst fans. There's a lot that can potentially be left untapped if you don't use every way that you can to dig deeper. I don't see why you can't do both.
I think sub-genres get in the way of the "similar artists" feature, because you'll see bands from the black metal genre when you look up Venom, and one or none of them will sound like Venom.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.