Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 130
Default

To be honest most dead rappers are overrated (due to the fact that they're dead).

But the three I like the most are; Pun, Pac and Proof.
RandyMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post
To be honest most dead rappers are overrated (due to the fact that they're dead).

But the three I like the most are; Pun, Pac and Proof.
they are overrated because they are dead? what? are you trying to say because they died that means their work while they were alive should just be disregarded because it wasn't that great anyways?
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
they are overrated because they are dead? what? are you trying to say because they died that means their work while they were alive should just be disregarded because it wasn't that great anyways?
No I think what he is trying to say is that when an artist dies, their music is put on a pedestal even if some artists are not that great but because they have passed away it would be sacrilege to dare criticise their music.

Or you could say that it takes someones passing away for the rest of the world to sit up and take notice of their music.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,057
Default

My favorite dead rapper is Subroc, MF Doom's dead brother who he formed KMD with.

__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
they are overrated because they are dead? what? are you trying to say because they died that means their work while they were alive should just be disregarded because it wasn't that great anyways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
No I think what he is trying to say is that when an artist dies, their music is put on a pedestal even if some artists are not that great but because they have passed away it would be sacrilege to dare criticise their music.
what he said^

If 50cent was shot and killed right now he would be classed as a legend, when in truth, he sucks.

Look at Biggie, I mean he was a pretty good rapper for his time but nowhere near as good as people make out. I see people claiming he's one of the top 3 rappers that ever lived when the guy was simply a little better than the average. But obviously people are going to start moaning at me for this (only proving my point really).


It's the same with movies, Dark Knight was a damn good movie but it wouldn't have been so highly regarded if heath was still alive.
RandyMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post
what he said^

If 50cent was shot and killed right now he would be classed as a legend, when in truth, he sucks.

Look at Biggie, I mean he was a pretty good rapper for his time but nowhere near as good as people make out. I see people claiming he's one of the top 3 rappers that ever lived when the guy was simply a little better than the average. But obviously people are going to start moaning at me for this (only proving my point really).


It's the same with movies, Dark Knight was a damn good movie but it wouldn't have been so highly regarded if heath was still alive.
you are right i'm about to start moaning at you but it doesn't prove your point, you picked a bad person to say that was just better than average. I could understand if you said someone like Big L but Biggie. You are dead wrong about that. I'd take Biggie anyday of Pac.

I don't agree with you on your movie example either. You should've used River Phoenix's last performance or something. The Dark Knight would have still be huge even if heath was alive. He was performance in it was top notch but he didn't carry the whole film on his own. Christopher Nolan should be given credit also and all of the other actors in the movie that had decent performances.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
you are right i'm about to start moaning at you but it doesn't prove your point, you picked a bad person to say that was just better than average. I could understand if you said someone like Big L but Biggie. You are dead wrong about that. I'd take Biggie anyday of Pac.

I don't agree with you on your movie example either. You should've used River Phoenix's last performance or something. The Dark Knight would have still be huge even if heath was alive. He was performance in it was top notch but he didn't carry the whole film on his own. Christopher Nolan should be given credit also and all of the other actors in the movie that had decent performances.
Big L was far superior to biggie. Biggie was slightly above average at best. If had to choose between the two I'd say I personally prefer biggie (I liked his flow and delivery a lot more) but that doesn't change the fact that L was the better rapper.

Anyway as for the batman movie, it was probably one of the best movies of that year but people make it out to be the greatest movie of all time.

Look at elvis, pac, biggie, nirvana almost every celebrity that has died (especially those who were killed or commited suicide) has earned more money and seen more commercial success when they were dead than they ever did living.
RandyMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #28 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post

Look at elvis, pac, biggie, nirvana almost every celebrity that has died (especially those who were killed or commited suicide) has earned more money and seen more commercial success when they were dead than they ever did living.
that doesn't make them overrated though, that just makes them an artist.

The same thing has happened to painters/composers for centuries. A painter's art work isn't worth much while he is alive but when he is dead the price of his work skyrockets.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
My favorite dead rapper is Subroc, MF Doom's dead brother who he formed KMD with.

nice picture man.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
that doesn't make them overrated though, that just makes them an artist.

The same thing has happened to painters/composers for centuries. A painter's art work isn't worth much while he is alive but when he is dead the price of his work skyrockets.
Yeah but people get carried away with the hype. Biggie was great but he died and now he's the greatest.

Same thing happened with tupac and pretty much every other dead rapper.
RandyMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.