Today's Rap, 90's, or 80's Rap - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: today's rap, 90's, or 80's rap?
today's rap 21 26.25%
90's rap/hip hop 47 58.75%
80's rap 8 10.00%
NONE DANG IT 4 5.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Forest Park, GA
Posts: 1,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
I agree that 808's is a pop album, even kanye himself said it was a pop album. however I definitely prefer todays rap. I mean, I love me some tribe called quest or wutang as much as the next guy but I would rather listen to common market or doomtree
I didn't know he was talking about the KanYe album. If he is, however, then yeah, it's not a Hip-Hop album.
__________________
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #32 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That and Jay-Z are excellent examples of the sameness I'm talking about.

Why would I want to see 20 year old videos of 3rd Bass when I just mentioned my interest in hearing good new hip-hop?
Hey, Crabby, sorry I tried to helped. I don't see them as the same, I guess I'm too close to the movement.
__________________
I've moved to a new address
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Hey, Crabby, sorry I tried to helped. I don't see them as the same, I guess I'm too close to the movement.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound crabby. I just don't understand where you're going with the 3rd Bass comment.

And you seriously don't see the similarities between that dude and recent Jay-Z?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,172
Default

No, B.O.B. strikes me more as an Outkast style-rapper. I look at Jay-Z completly differently.

I assume you've heard Airplanes already (by BOB).

Rap, to me, has never been a genre of classic artists. They don't have the longevity rock gives to certain bands. Its always been new and cutting edge, but now that its settled in, their trying to go back and find artists who've always been good and they dismissed them so quickly, you can only really go back to about 2000.

Don't get me wrong, its spared us largely from the "zomg Big Daddy Kane was the best EVA!!!!!!!" ****, but in lulls like this, for better or worse, they don't have a U2, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, blah blah blah to go back on. I see it as a blessing

But to answer your question, no, not too much is going well in Rap right now.
__________________
I've moved to a new address
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #35 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
No, B.O.B. strikes me more as an Outkast style-rapper. I look at Jay-Z completly differently.
Really? That one song you posted doesn't sound nearly quirky enough to remind me of Outkast at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I assume you've heard Airplanes already (by BOB).
Nope. The song you posted is the sum total of my experience with B.O.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Rap, to me, has never been a genre of classic artists. They don't have the longevity rock gives to certain bands. Its always been new and cutting edge, but now that its settled in, their trying to go back and find artists who've always been good and they dismissed them so quickly, you can only really go back to about 2000.

Don't get me wrong, its spared us largely from the "zomg Big Daddy Kane was the best EVA!!!!!!!" ****, but in lulls like this, for better or worse, they don't have a U2, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, blah blah blah to go back on. I see it as a blessing
I'd argue that Jay-Z is basically that kind of thing for hip-hop: the boring musician who has been around for a long time where if you don't like them people flip out and act like you're required to enjoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
But to answer your question, no, not too much is going well in Rap right now.
That's what's bumming me out. I don't want to be one of those people who think everything was better in the past but I feel like the past five years or so hip-hop has been in a slump. I'd love more than anything for someone to prove me wrong about that though.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Really? That one song you posted doesn't sound nearly quirky enough to remind me of Outkast at all...Nope. The song you posted is the sum total of my experience with B.O.B.
Well try airplanes, I don't know how you'll take it but its worth a shot.

Quote:
I'd argue that Jay-Z is basically that kind of thing for hip-hop: the boring musician who has been around for a long time where if you don't like them people flip out and act like you're required to enjoy them.
You assume he's getting boring. He's actually (i think) getting better. But thats what I meant though. People are going back 10 years to find mainstays but truth be told rap never really had any. Its Jay-Z, Eminem, and splitting radio play with R&B - Usher, and somehow Ludacris.

Every movement goes through slumps though.


Quote:
That's what's bumming me out. I don't want to be one of those people who think everything was better in the past but I feel like the past five years or so hip-hop has been in a slump. I'd love more than anything for someone to prove me wrong about that though.
Its hard to be worse than nothing. I'm not saying bad things are coming out right now, I'm saying almost nothing is coming out right now. Rap's stuck in their boy band phase. The forumla looks like this...

no-name pretty boy + auto-tune + $10,000 beat + guest no name rapper = hit.

The best rap around still comes from the Doom/Prince Paul/Dan the Automator crowd right now. They just aren't doing anything.

This is what I meant with my formula:

__________________
I've moved to a new address
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #37 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

In my opinion the best stuff right now is from artists who came out and established themselves in the 90's and are continuing to produce new stuff today. I agree with Janszoon in that a lot of the stuff from artists who really only came out in the 00's sounds very similar and isn't all that inspired. The song that Big3 posted, while not bad, was just too pop-y for me. Too many artists have experimented with the same sounds and influences before, and it's just nothing new or innovative. Having said that, there are a few artists who really only came into their own in the 00's that I continually follow and really enjoy.

DL incognito (started 1998, this song from 2008 album)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQKQ...eature=related

Zion I (started first album in 2000)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HXNQjVr7L8


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Tz3...eature=related

EDIT: youtube videos don't work when I try to embed them (I think because of the ban here). I don't have a little box to check in the advanced mode, what SHOULD be the "wrap youtube tags" box is just a question mark for me, and typing them out myself doesn't work either.
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER

Last edited by jibber; 07-19-2010 at 09:19 AM.
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,172
Default

jib - if the web add is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECrjk6PzK90

then in youtube brackets you should only put the bolded part. Post "=" every time.
__________________
I've moved to a new address
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #39 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
jib - if the web add is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECrjk6PzK90

then in youtube brackets you should only put the bolded part. Post "=" every time.
ahha! (ok I'm a dumbass!) Tore, you were right, I DON'T know what I'm doing
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Well try airplanes, I don't know how you'll take it but its worth a shot.
Listening to it as I type. I like the beat and his flow better on this one but it's still in that same same generic style I'm talking about. Plus it has that woman from Paramore ruining the choruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
You assume he's getting boring. He's actually (i think) getting better. But thats what I meant though. People are going back 10 years to find mainstays but truth be told rap never really had any. Its Jay-Z, Eminem, and splitting radio play with R&B - Usher, and somehow Ludacris.
Haha. I don't think he's getting boring, I think he's staying as boring as he's always been.

I guess I agree that longevity is less common in hip-hop to a certain extent but there are some longtimers that are still pretty big. The Roots are another one that come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
The best rap around still comes from the Doom/Prince Paul/Dan the Automator crowd right now. They just aren't doing anything.
Yeah, that's the kind of hip-hop I listen to but I keep thinking there has to be something else out there that's as good and new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
This is what I meant with my formula:

I agree, that's fucking awful.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.